But I Didn't Know Until This Very Day That It Was Tannenbaum All Along

SAR I

Mike Tannenbaum has now made the playoffs in the first year after a front office housecleaning rebuild in 3 consecutive regimes.

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

Impressive.  Sort of what we need right now.  His style of NFL-by-Steinbrenner almost worked as the architect of the '09 and '10 teams.  Sanchez shown the door for Geno.  Tannenbaum shown the door for Idzik.  Rex Ryan had his scapegoats. 

Look at how they massacred my boy.

SAR I

That Miami team does have some talent.  Jay Ajayi ran for yet another 200 yards. He traded up for a LT Laremy Tunsil.

I look at Miami and others teams we are light years behind. We are in for some tough times. I just hope that whoever is in charge next year, has the team playing hard.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mike Tannenbaum has now made the playoffs in the first year after a front office housecleaning rebuild in 3 consecutive regimes.

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

Impressive.  Sort of what we need right now.  His style of NFL-by-Steinbrenner almost worked as the architect of the '09 and '10 teams.  Sanchez shown the door for Geno.  Tannenbaum shown the door for Idzik.  Rex Ryan had his scapegoats. 

SAR I

I think Tanny did a decent Job here, But when this team was on the brink of a SB and needed some threats on offense he always seemed to sign Drunks Malcontents and retreads. He passed up numerous WR's in the draft who could have grown with Sanchez and even if Sanchez was not going to be the guy at least you had some young WR's in place built through the draft. Instead we kept going defense on a team that was ranked in the top 5 in defense and the bottom 5 in offense. That was dumb and listening to Rex was dumb as well.

Just when I thought I was out ...they pull me back in

Tanny learned his lesson on what not to do with the NYJ.  No more evident than the Gase hire.  He's the complete anti-Rex.  

Looking back he definitely did well here, but took a lot of risk.  Rex, Favre, Holmes, Edwards, Tebow, etc. It eventually caught up with him.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

SAR I

Love The Godfather parody!

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

SAR I

Rep for the Godfather reference.  Awesomely done.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Tanny gave Rex everything he wanted up until 2012 when Rex started throwing him under the bus. This franchise would have won mulitple championships if we stayed the course with Mangini and Tammenbaum. 

The had me until the Tebow fiasco. I then knew it was all over right then and there

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Tanny gave Rex everything he wanted up until 2012 when Rex started throwing him under the bus. This franchise would have won mulitple championships if we stayed the course with Mangini and Tammenbaum. 

Eh, that's a stretch. But, I would say we wouldn't be bottomed out and on a 6-year stretch of no playoffs.

Tannenbaum and his dolphins have won 10 games this season - only 1 team they beat had a winning record and that team was Pittsburgh without a healthy Big Ben.

I had to listen to this ALL offseason about the Jets - does that only apply for 'Same Old Jet Fans'? Why would anybody make a big deal about Miami? ...and do we really care about them?

Tanny inherited a pretty good team with some clear deficiencies. He was able to trade up to get some talent; took a chance on Sanchez (stole that trade), but he was always trading away picks. When he started with a pretty good team with depth it worked okay and he was able to use trades and FA to put together a damn good team, but when the window closed, he didn't adapt and the wheels fell off. The team was so bereft of talent. Then two years of Idzik to make it even worse.

Maybe Tanny learned how to build a team better without trading and still maintaining depth - that remains to be seen. Let's see where Miami is 2 years from now. Either way, even after drafting okay, we haven't made a dent into the lack of talent. At least half (I think more) of the OL needs to be replaced. Even if the young guys can step up, there isn't anyone behind them. We need at least another OLB, 2CBs, 2 safeties and TEs. So we need another 9-10 starters and more depth behind that. Unfortunately that is going to take a few more years.

Sadly we played above ourselves last year against weak opponents so we had to pick at 20; picking at 14 or so would have landed us OL. We also had bad luck with injuries this year, but in the long run may work out. We realize that we are really not that good. Hopefully, we continue with the rebuild.

We are really in a win/win. If we draft well and start playing well, we will be just a year away from having a quality team. If not, we will clean house and hopefully have a high enough pick to draft a franchise QB.

Tanny got it.  He took the fall for the Woodyisms.  

He was not perfect by any stretch, but he was closer to the pin than what they are doing now.

Mac is not the problem, per se.  He is a good scout.  But he would need to grow into the person in charge of the team as a whole.

The Jets are broke now, but rather than firing now, someone needs to step in for Woody before bad players are picked and good players are ruined.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

SAR I

He broke my heart with Tebow.

I loved Tanny's style and aggressiveness but he really took a bad turn in '11. After several years of trading away draft picks to move up for players like Revis and Harris, our back end of the roster was lacking of any talent or depth. This really hurt the special teams units.  Then he starting moving the "locker room" guys out of the building like Cotchery in place of guys like Mason and Burress. Big mistake.

He also never built around Sanchez. 

Easier job in Miami, team has a qb in place.

Tannenbaum and Rex sucked. We just are blessed to have found an even worse combo. What their regime showed and what Dallas is showing this year is that offensive line >>>>>>> defensive line. We are in the situation we are in because of drafting defense 7 years in a row and almost completely ignoring the OL....we need to change that...I would not draft a DL in  first round unless he could get to the QB. The Jets have shown that a 5/10 DL with a 5/10 secondary is better than a 8/10 DL and a 3/10 secondary. We have also shown you cannot really do anything without OL. Other than QB it is the single most important thing for an NFL team to have

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mangini
Ryan
Gase

SAR I

Lets see the drafts in the next 2 years. After 2007 he drafted very poorly and made poor executive decisions. Sanchez contract, Holmes contract, let Cotch walk, Let Favre walk etc.

This is the life we have chosen.. I didnt ask questions. I knew he was hot headed. So I let it go.

Im taking a nap..if the money is here when I awake, Ill know I have a partner.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Lets see the drafts in the next 2 years. After 2007 he drafted very poorly and made poor executive decisions. Sanchez contract, Holmes contract, let Cotch walk, Let Favre walk etc.

This is the life we have chosen.. I didnt ask questions. I knew he was hot headed. So I let it go.

Im taking a nap..if the money is here when I awake, Ill know I have a partner.

traded away picks and hurt the team's depth.  we still do not have depth four years later.  but that is due to bad drafting

The most important role for the gm in my opinion, is picking the right coach.  This was Tanny's biggest failure.  He always tailored the personel to the coaches preference anyway.  Maybe Mangini wasn't all bad, but Tanny  might of pulled the plug too early, succumbing to pressure from Woody.  Rex was the real disaster, going for the splashy pick who eventually got him fired.

10 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

That Miami team does have some talent.  Jay Ajayi ran for yet another 200 yards. He traded up for a LT Laremy Tunsil.

I look at Miami and others teams we are light years behind. We are in for some tough times. I just hope that whoever is in charge next year, has the team playing hard.

Just wanted to point out Tannenbaum traded down and got Laremy Tunsil. We swapped 1st round picks with the eagles giving them the 8th overall and moving us to 13th overall and we also acquired Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso in the deal. Both have been solid. 

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think Tanny did a decent Job here, But when this team was on the brink of a SB and needed some threats on offense he always seemed to sign Drunks Malcontents and retreads. He passed up numerous WR's in the draft who could have grown with Sanchez and even if Sanchez was not going to be the guy at least you had some young WR's in place built through the draft. Instead we kept going defense on a team that was ranked in the top 5 in defense and the bottom 5 in offense. That was dumb and listening to Rex was dumb as well.

Just when I thought I was out ...they pull me back in

Not only that bu the freakin "genius" reached for second round busts like Vlad Ducasse and Stephen Hill and first round Hall of Shamer Kyle Wilson. No, Tanny did a very poor job of helping Rex and Shottenheimer develop Sanchez by getting rid of Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cothery and bringing in the guys Smashmouth described. I don't think Tanny has anything to do with personnel in Miami, I think he is just another bean counter with them.

10 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Not only that bu the freakin "genius" reached for second round busts like Vlad Ducasse and Stephen Hill and first round Hall of Shamer Kyle Wilson. No, Tanny did a very poor job of helping Rex and Shottenheimer develop Sanchez by getting rid of Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cothery and bringing in the guys Smashmouth described. I don't think Tanny has anything to do with personnel in Miami, I think he is just another bean counter with them.

Thank you...

People quickly forget the facts...

Oh and to the others I know we went to TWO.............

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

The most important role for the gm in my opinion, is picking the right coach.  This was Tanny's biggest failure.  He always tailored the personel to the coaches preference anyway.  Maybe Mangini wasn't all bad, but Tanny  might of pulled the plug too early, succumbing to pressure from Woody.  Rex was the real disaster, going for the splashy pick who eventually got him fired.

I understand that Tanny had Jim Harbaugh in for a visit and then failed to hire him and went for Rex instead. Rex's best feature has ALWAYS been the ability to oversell himself to idiot GM's and owners. 

Tanny was fine early on.  Problem is he wasn't built for the bright lights and big city.  Dude fell in love with the back page, especially after the Favre signing and even moreso after Hard Knocks.  It was all splashy trades and big deals after that, at the expense of draft picks and depth.  the team became insanely top-heavy.  An injury or two away from collapsing like a house of cards.  Which is what eventually happened.  He was also not a talent evaluator, giving his coaches more input than his scouts.  Coples, the Terminator and Sanchez's WR buddy and Taj Boyd--all admitted Rex picks.  Mangini was obviously better in this regard--but Tanny was a glorified accountant at best.  I wouldn't weep over his loss.  Glad to have him gone.

Whoa whoa whoa mule.

People are going WAY over board about the phins here.  Their stating QB is nothing special, they beat a jets team that gave up after week 5, they were handed the last game by Buffalo. 

This time last year who was the darling afc team?  The 10-5 jets who had won 5 straight including a win over the pats, two of the best wrs in the league a vet qb having his best season, the soon to be exec of he year and a young promising head coach.

Don't let their rb run for 200 yards and they are nothing overly special.  I will say that they have had some good drafts though, Tanny will get greedy and screw it up by accelerating the rebuild.

Archived