What Could Excite You For 2017?

Warfish

So the question is, what could the Jets do, between today and opening day 2017, that would excite you about the 2017 season?

Clearly, we're in the midst of a tear down (salary and old man dump) and rebuild (going young, going cheap).

Generally, fans are excited about the "refresh" part of a rebuild, but not the painful period of losing that a rebuild creates.

So what could the Jets do within this structure (a rebuild, low cost, young players) that would excite you about watching in 2017?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use all 4 downs on offense once past our own 35 & punt on 3rd & long anywhere behind our own 20. Between the 20 & 35, throw deep on 1st, 2nd & 3rd downs. Plus NEVER, EVER run the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs.

QB is everything so drafting a QB would go a long way for me towards that.  Either way I'll be interested in watching guys like Lee and Leo get better.

Personally don't buy the idea that the QB's in this draft are all that bad.  In the same vein, I think the RB position is very overrated, especially someone like Fournette. (Cook will be good but has concerns like the shoulder and fumbles).  Actually really love Joe Williams from Utah although him wanting to quit before this past college season will have to be checked out.

And I don't even just like taking a QB for the sake of doing so.  I like Trubisky and Watson a lot.  Watson personally like a ton but I could see a scenario where Trubisky turns into a top ten guy too.  Both are good with the pocket, OK when a free runner comes, solid arms, quick releases.  All the necessary things you MUST have to translate success to the next level.  

This notion that we shouldnt' take a QB now because we aren't ready to compete is lunacy... The only thing that separates good teams from bad ones nowadays is the QB position. You can have an aberration of a season, but you can't sustain success without a top QB.  Just keep swinging at the pinata with educated guesses until you get lucky.

Geno under center...

like a Phoenix rising from the ashes he begins his crusade that results in a shocking playoff appearance and the reuniting of all Jet fans.  

Once and for all the stench of Ryan Fitzpatrick will be removed from my beloved Jets.

Is this supposed to be about something that is reasonably possible?  Because if just a fantasy, it would be hard to top the Jets announcing that Hackenberg has really turned the corner, is playing great, and Bowles projects him as the opening day starter.  And that they are upgrading the running game to support him.

Yes, that would be awesome.

But within the realm of the reasonable?  I suppose signing Cutler would at least make the season interesting.

No more Bubba Gump Bowltite - other than that everything else is futile, but just to laugh a bit:

Call all 3 time outs in the first series of every game

Try punting on first down once in a while, it will cut down on turnovers significantly

Play Mo Wilkerson at CB

Play Sheldon at SS (If he is still employed here)

Play Darren Lee at RB

Play Leo at C

Let Robby Anderson play QB

oh and kick at least 1 fg behind by at least 41 points in any game

LOL We are so pathetic, that I have to make myself laugh or else I will cry and need serious Jets rehab.....

Shrimp Toast

Shrimp Salad

Shrimp Cocktail

Shrimp Stew

Shrimp Sandwich

Shrimp on the Barbie

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So the question is, what could the Jets do, between today and opening day 2017, that would excite you about the 2017 season?

Clearly, we're in the midst of a tear down (salary and old man dump) and rebuild (going young, going cheap).

Generally, fans are excited about the "refresh" part of a rebuild, but not the painful period of losing that a rebuild creates.

So what could the Jets do within this structure (a rebuild, low cost, young players) that would excite you about watching in 2017?

I want to see Hackenberg start AT least 6 games.  I want to see the Jets draft RB to help said young rookie.

I want to see a bloody pass rush.  A REAL pass rush.  You  know, the kind that actually gets to the QB before 10 Mississippi's go past. 

Really comes down to one position - QB. Whether it be someone on the roster or someone they draft  or sign/trade for (under 30)  - if somehow a QB emerges during camp, that will suddenly make the season that more interesting (and entertaining)

Otherwise, it's all about the young players. How does last year's draft class look? How does this year's class fare? We need some guys who have an immediate impact.

If all else fails, maybe Bowles finally shows that he's making some strides as a head coach. Or not. 

7 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

No more Bubba Gump Bowltite - other than that everything else is futile, but just to laugh a bit:

Call all 3 time outs in the first series of every game

Try punting on first down once in a while, it will cut down on turnovers significantly

Play Mo Wilkerson at CB

Play Sheldon at SS (If he is still employed here)

Play Darren Lee at RB

Play Leo at C

Let Robby Anderson play QB

oh and kick at least 1 fg behind by at least 41 points in any game

LOL We are so pathetic, that I have to make myself laugh or else I will cry and need serious Jets rehab.....

Shrimp Toast

Shrimp Salad

Shrimp Cocktail

Shrimp Stew

Shrimp Sandwich

Shrimp on the Barbie

LOL @ you leaving positive rep for your own attempt at humor.  The self-rep is way funnier than the post itself!

Finding a young QB will make this season exciting.  We need to add more young competition at the position. At this point that means we either trade for AJ McCarron, or draft a QB early (Watson). Let them fight it out in camp and preseason.

Refrain from signing a has-been like Cutler, or a never-was like Chase Daniel. That will do absolutely nothing to help this franchise.  

6. Hooker (Adams/Williams/Howard)

39. Kamara (White/King)

70. Kupp (Smith-Schuster/Jones)

In the QB carousel, Browns acquire Garoppolo, Cousins moves to San Francisco and the Bears draft Trubisky. The Jets stand pat with Petty and Hack.

All the stars align for.... "and with the first pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select QB..... Sam Darnold, USC"

Between now and the start of the season, I would say being informed Hackenberg won the QB battle and has been named the starter. That would get me excited to watch the 2017 season. How long that excitement lasts is a different story.

Here is what could (potentially) excite me.

One, continue not signing overpriced free agents and over the hill "veteran" QB JAG's.

Two, draft an impact RB in round 1 (Forte cut), a QB who-drops in Round 2 (out of their control, admittedly, but I think one QB drops farther than expected), and O-line in Rounds 3-4.  No Defense picks till at least Round 5.

Three, rebuild the CB's with low-priced young FA's.  Risky, but ok since 2017 is a loser year regardless.

Petty named #1, Hack #2, Draft Pick #3 going into Camp.  Best man named starter no matter who it is.

Youth movement is go, young offense with no old vets holding down spots.  Defense living with what it has for a year (mostly).

And hopefully an exciting offense that takes risks and shots, even if those shots fail.

I could enjoy that, even if we're a 4 win team in year one of this rebuild.  Say Trubisky (or whomever) and Mixon (or Fournette, or whomever).  That could excite me some to want to watch.

A trade down in the draft in which we get extra picks this year and another 1st next year.

Have the 1st two players we take actually look like good prospects.

Have at least one surprise player in the mid to late rounds that looks like an impact player,

1. Woody Johnson is implicated and jailed in the ongoing Russian Conspiracy and, after the impeachment and trial at The Hague, is forced to divest ownership of the New York Jets.

2. The team is then purchased by Rooney Mara.

3. Jim Harbaugh, sickened by UMich alumni, leaves UMich and takes full control of football operations. His first act as Jets Czar is to make Christian Hackenberg cry in public.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I would have to go with hiring Scarlet Johansson as their main cheerleader/chant leader. 

Archived