Jets (Requesting to Interview) HC Candidates

JetsYanks13

30 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Assuming McCarty gets the Job wouldn't he have guys he knows already in mind for OC? I know people change but seems like he would go with the former?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If MCarthy is the choice, then we can assume he will have his own staff.  By the volume of candidates we have already been linked to, in addition to who we are linked to, I doubt he’s the slam dunk many think he is.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If MCarthy is the choice, then we can assume he will have his own staff.  By the volume of candidates we have already been linked to, in addition to who we are linked to, I doubt he’s the slam dunk many think he is.
Oh I don't believe he is a sure thing here because of his previous relationship with Dorsey+roster is better than Jets right now.

He could be using the Jets maybe not. I just don't see these interviews leading to OC if he's hired.

46 minutes ago, Pcola said:

...By the volume of candidates we have already been linked to, in addition to who we are linked to, I doubt he’s the slam dunk many think he is.

It may be a slam dunk from the Jets' perspective, but there is no guarantee he will accept the position.  Better to schedule a ton of interviews in case he decides not to come here.  Nothing lost if they schedule and/or interview others but hire McCarthy.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1080591839357530112?s=19

Former Dolphins coach Adam Gase will interview with the Jets on Friday, per multiple sources. That will be his second interview for a head job this week — he’s in Arizona right now. A Jets/Gase marriage would certainly be a very intriguing option for both sides.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES

Every HC is a rookie at some point..Some get it some don't...... Some get it immediately, some get it on the 2nd go round and some don't

But if the philosophy is to eliminate any rookie HC the Jets wouldn't ever hire the next Sean Payton. McVay, Reich, Nagy, Lynn..... all rookie HC's that got it right away.... Anyone I wish was our HC.... So hire whoever you think gets the most oout of Darnold and the team.. rookie or not 

I found this article talking about possible candidates.  What I found interesting is that it states McCarthy has already been in for an interview at the Jets training facility:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-jets/Gallery/Top-5-Candidates-to-replace-Todd-Bowles-as-Jets-head-coach-127178597/

No. 2 Mike McCarthy | Former Green Bay Packers Head coach

8933857.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Mike McCarthy has the most polished and complete resume of any available coach. With a Super Bowl title. A 125-77-2 career regular season record (.618 winning percentage), to go along with a 10-8 postseason record and four trips to the NFC Championship games, Packers fans might not realize what they had until he's gone. Unfortunately for McCarthy, he can't escape the shadow of Aaron Rodgers, and there are still concerns as to whether the coach's terrific resume was a product of the stellar play of an All-Pro quarterback, or if he actually helped develop the talented gunslinger. McCarthy is being pursued by Cleveland and Arizona, and there's still a chance he sits out a season to recharge his battery and find the perfect situation for himself and his family. The former Green Bay coach has already interviewed at the Jets training facility, and if Gang Green has the opportunity, they should make a major push to put him in Green and White.

14 hours ago, lounap23 said:

Every HC is a rookie at some point..Some get it some don't...... Some get it immediately, some get it on the 2nd go round and some don't

But if the philosophy is to eliminate any rookie HC the Jets wouldn't ever hire the next Sean Payton. McVay, Reich, Nagy, Lynn..... all rookie HC's that got it right away.... Anyone I wish was our HC.... So hire whoever you think gets the most oout of Darnold and the team.. rookie or not 

Hell yes. 

Also, people shooting down Kingsbury, because he’s coming from college are staring at the tree and missing the forest.

It isn’t 20-30 years ago. NFL offenses are stealing FROM college. All of the top offenses are based off of college spread concepts.

I feel that an individual who has only been a HC in college, as opposed to only a coordinator in the NFL has a better understanding of the job. 

McVay was no hot commodity. It was Gruden’s offense and he was a no name. Their Washington offense set no records, broke no boundaries, and produced no playoff wins. But guess what? His interview showed LA that they had the same vision, same principles, same ideals.

It’s all about what fits, and how you project someone to be, not only on what they’ve done. 

Bowles had all the accolades from peers, all the media hype, etc. He was a slam dunk, because he went through the old boys club route in NFL coaching. Its a frat, and they’ll continue to push their friends.

But the outside the box hires have been more succeasful recently. Nagy wasn’t caling plays in KC. Never had experience doing so. His OC is Oregon’s old coach. 

Doug Pederson didn’t call plays. Etc etc...

As I've stated in several posts, the Jets need an adult in the room to be their next head coach.  Kingsbuy is not the guy.  But not only do they need an adult in the room but they need adults on the field.  The new coach but be able to bring in some missing pieces from older established players (e.g., Calvin Pace, Bart Scott) to lead the young guys.  I absolutely love Jamal Adams but he could use guidance on the field from an established veteran.  The Jets have one of the youngest rosters in the league and they need leadership on and off the field.

The next coach must be a guy who can bring this.  McCarthy is a guy who can do this.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, Beerfish said:

If Monken is the guy they better have a long tooth D coordinator that can help.  That is the one thing I worry about with a new young guy, the ability and or the smarts to get some vet position coaches.

We don't necessarily need vet position coaches , just good qualified position coaches.

7 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I found this article talking about possible candidates.  What I found interesting is that it states McCarthy has already been in for an interview at the Jets training facility:

I find it hard to believe that the guy that wrote that article, would know about the interview, while the usual Jets beat writers, Schefter, Rappaport etc. would not have this news. 

42 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

We don't necessarily need vet position coaches , just good qualified position coaches.

I think the chance of success if you have a whole staff of greenhorns is not that good.  What is a qualified position coach?  Often it will be a vet coach.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Translation, Richard isn't getting a HC job this year

Actual translation, as a WC team, the Cowboys assistants cant be interviewed this week. 

He'll get interviewed right after their game

On 1/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, Jetster said:

8 jobs available & Garrett won't let him interview? Wow, that's pretty shocking actually. Garrett doesn't know what it's like to be fired until he gets knocked out of the playoffs by Seattle. Jerrah has let out a loooong leash for Garrett. 

It's not Garrett's decision to make.  It's a league rule for wildcards, IIRC.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:52 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i gotta say this head coaching search is a lot more exciting then the last one

Better candidates than 4 years ago and we are a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more attractive landing spot because we have #14.  Perfect combination.  I love what I'm reading about several of the underdogs here.  I am also hopeful that if it's McCarthy, that he can take command and once and for all change the 'anything goes, kindergarten culture' we've had at Florham Park  since Rex Ryan day 1.  It has not changed since.

I find it odd that the team has announced when their interviews have
started & ended.  With the Johnson & Johnson corporate jet available
to them I wonder how many "unreported" interviews they've had?  

42 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

They lost me when they said if KK was HC he should bring in Bowles to run the D....

Yeah didn’t very much like that part either but Nick Wright is a dumbass so you can’t expect much...still a good watch. It reinforces what people here are suggesting with McCarthy as HC and Kingsbury as OC.

52 minutes ago, KRL said:

I find it odd that the team has announced when their interviews have
started & ended.  With the Johnson & Johnson corporate jet available
to them I wonder how many "unreported" interviews they've had?  

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Especially in relation to college coaches, who will want to keep interviews quiet during recruitment season.

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Especially in relation to college coaches, who will want to keep interviews quiet during recruitment season.

...and here we go:

Really like this move, if true. Rhule is a damn good coach.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Jets are interested in Baylor coach Matt Rhule for their head coaching vacancy.

The Jets are scheduled to be in Dallas this weekend to interview Cowboys DBs coach/pass-game coordinator Kris Richard and they may be planning to sit down with Rhule as well. The 43-year-old is credited with turning Temple's program around and is also coming off a bowl win with Baylor this past season. His only experience at the pro level came in 2012 when he served as the Giants' assistant OL coach. The former Penn State linebacker joins Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy, former Lions and Colts coach Jim Caldwell, former Dolphins coach Adam Gase, USC OC Kliff Kingsbury, former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Buccaneers OC Todd Monken and Richard as candidates for the Jets' top job.
Related: Jets

Jan 4 - 4:27 PM

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which side of the ball is his forte (not the broken down Matt version)?

He's an offensive guy, who runs a modern day offense, coached OL, and played LB many years ago so you doubt that he would ignore that side of the ball.

I'm very high on Rhule.

Turned around 2 college programs in Temple and Baylor that were left for dead. Not to mention he has NY ties as he was on the Giants coaching staff, so he's a Tom Coughlin disciple. Also coached Robby Anderson at Temple, so a reunion there definitely wouldn't hurt.

Not saying he should be be the top choice, but he would definitely be a good choice IMO.

Archived