Draft Speculation, Hopes, & Dreams (MERGED)

BettyBoop

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Clark alone would soften any outcome, but I understand your point.  

Thing is, this is the year where it begins to become more difficult to beat on the GM. It began last year, but it's a bit early for most to lighten up understandably. This years draft is going to be spectacular especially if he can even come close to something like the OP suggested. 

This is now I see it:

Mac is a politician.  He is not a real scout.  

If he gets a good defender and the defense is a little better, but Darnold is not protected, the season is a poop show and he gets fired. 

Honestly, I don't know how much a Quinnen or even Bosa makes a difference as a rookie.  Allen could because it gives the defense another dimension.  But it will not matter, because if the defense gives the ball back to the offense and they are three and out an Darnold is beat up, its over.

If Darnold has blocking and possibly someone else to throw too, the offense looks good and most games are shootouts, Mac is a hero and next off season we find an EDGE, CB and whatever else.  Or at least we try.  

So, I think Mac tries his best to trade down, desperately.  

22 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would take Quinen Williams if he's there, but I would not take Bosa or Allen if I could trade back and get  multiple picks that would be fair value.

Getting a edge pass rusher and a center that will both start and excel would be a win for me, and a top offensive tackle or cornerback at the 2nd level would convince me to make the trade.

Boss is a injury risk and Allen's dominance at the pro level is a question mark to me.

Why do you like QW but question Allen? Same conference, and Allen produced highly for 2 years. Did so while being the only player on  his defense that opposing teams had to scheme around 

I’d walk Jamal Adams down to the riverbank and I’d tell him to look out over the water and imagine the little farm we were gonna buy where he could play with the cows and rabbits and such and Jamal would say how much he liked the rabbits and I’d say, “that’s right, Jamal. Just think about those rabbits.” And Jamal would be staring out over that river going on and on about the rabbits and the cow and the pigs we’d have on our farm and I’d raise my hand to the back of his head and he’d say, “Tommy...tell me again about those rabbits,” and I’d say, “sure, Jamal,” and then I’d get closer to him and lean in close to his ear, and I’d say “I just traded to you the Cardinals for a third rounder.” 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d walk Jamal Adams down to the riverbank and I’d tell him to look out over the water and imagine the little farm we were gonna buy where he could play with the cows and rabbits and such and Jamal would say how much he liked the rabbits and I’d say, “that’s right, Jamal. Just think about those rabbits.” And Jamal would be staring out over that river going on and on about the rabbits and the cow and the pigs we’d have on our farm and I’d raise my hand to the back of his head and he’d say, “Tommy...tell me again about those rabbits,” and I’d say, “sure, Jamal,” and then I’d get closer to him and lean in close to his ear, and I’d say “I just traded to you the Cardinals for a third rounder.” 

A harrowing tale of love and loss that speaks to a new generation...I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end!!

-USA Today

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How original.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Image result for this is your brain on drugs gifs

Trade #3 to WAS for 15,46,76 2020 1st. Trade #46 and a later pick if needed to acquire Frank Clark. Jets trade Darron Lee and a 6th to CLE for #80. #15- Garret Bradbury. Best C in the draft and fills our 2nd biggest need. #46 traded for Frank Clark. #68 I snag Jachai Polite EDGE, #76 JoeJuan Williams CB, #80 Riley Ridley WR,93 David Edwards OL #105 Jalen Hurd WR.

Get a stud C,Frank Clark, protection and weapons for Sam but most importantly the 2020 1st From washington a potential T5 pick. 

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Trade #3 to WAS for 15,46,76 2020 1st. Trade #46 and a later pick if needed to acquire Frank Clark. Jets trade Darron Lee and a 6th to CLE for #80. #15- Garret Bradbury. Best C in the draft and fills our 2nd biggest need. #46 traded for Frank Clark. #68 I snag Jachai Polite EDGE, #76 JoeJuan Williams CB, #80 Riley Ridley WR,93 David Edwards OL #105 Jalen Hurd WR.

Get a stud C,Frank Clark, protection and weapons for Sam but most importantly the 2020 1st From washington a potential T5 pick. 

Ignoring the fact that #80 on the Browns wants Adam Gase to die in a dumpster fire, I think this plan is masterful.

Unless you meant the 80th overall pick, of course :)

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can't we just swap him for Josh Rosen in that case?

If either the Raiders (#4 and their early 2nd) Or the Giants (6 and 17) I do it in a heart beat.

Not dropping past 6 unless it's a rip off deal.

Happily take Allen at 3, and one of the C's who will be there in the early 3rd.  If those two picks hit, and I think they will, I'm a happy camper

If I am the Jets GM, here is my plan for the #3 pick.

1) Nick Bosa

2) Josh Allen

3) Trade down

4) Jawaan Taylor

If both of the elite pass rushing prospects are gone by the third pick, and I get no reasonable offers to trade down, I "reach" for the best OT in the draft.  To hell with the rankings.  The last thing this team needs is another premium pick on a run stuffing DT.  I'd rather go down swinging trying to build around Darnold and Bell.  Taylor has all the tools to become a force in the NFL, and he's being vastly underrated by most of the so-called experts in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Curious as to what you guys would do if you were GM Thursday. I’d shake this team up. First I’d trade back into 1st round and get at least a 2 and 3 this year and a 2 next year. Not out of the question. Then trade Leo for 2. He’s just not worth the contract he’ll demand. We can get same production off the scrap heap. Cut ties now and get what you can. Next, trade Lee and one of the 3’s to move into 2nd round. Right there we’d have a low 1st, three 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders. That’s 6 picks to redo the roster. Edge (Burns, Sweat) C (McCoy, Bradbury, or Jenkins), CB (Greedy, Oruwarie, Baker, Layne, Love) OT (Dillard, Little, Risner) WR (Metcalf, M Brown, AJ Brown,  Ridley, Campbell) and another edge (Z Allen, Polite, Ferguson, Winovich) The majority of these guys will be there in rounds 2 & 3.  While it’s not a draft full of spectacular talent, it’s still deep. And we’d still have a few picks left for Macc to screw up.

i'd be mining this website and stealing all the brilliant ideas herein

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Trade back even if at a slight discount.

If we can’t move back draft 

Burns > Allen > Dillard > Sweat

Where the heck did Burns come from all of a sudden. You might be the 3rd person I've seen mention him for consideration @ 3 in the last couple days. I had hardly heard his name before a week ago. 

28 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Where the heck did Burns come from all of a sudden. You might be the 3rd person I've seen mention him for consideration @ 3 in the last couple days. I had hardly heard his name before a week ago. 

I agree. I'm familiar with Burns hadn't heard anyone thinking of taking this guy before about the 15th pick in the Draft.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

He needs a pass rusher and has 3 staring him in the face 

it’s going to take a big offer to move him 

Take what the Draft gives you!  And, this year it's giving dynamite Edge Rushers which are a premiere position (ex. QB, LT, Edge, CB) AND a great need for the Jets.  This draft could not line up any better for a team that has a need at a premiere position and where the team's draft position lines up with the talent/value.

We can't solve every problem in one draft and I get that some people want to trade down and accumulate picks to fix all our woes at OT, Edge, Center and CB.....but we just can't do it in one year.  2018 was the year of the QB, 2019 will be the year of the Edge rusher and 2020 will be the year of the LT or CB.

27 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

He's been climbing up some boards. Personally, I have him in the Sweat/Winovich/Ferrell range of players. All really solid, just depends on what you are looking for in an edge rusher. For me, it's still Bosa/Allen as the clear cut top 2 edge rushers. Ferrell/Sweat are my next 2 followed by Winovich/Burns. 

Gary is the guy that we've all been hearing about that could drop on draft day...and for good reason. 

But I can't see Burns even in the discussion at 3. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

This is now I see it:

Mac is a politician.  He is not a real scout.  

If he gets a good defender and the defense is a little better, but Darnold is not protected, the season is a poop show and he gets fired. 

Honestly, I don't know how much a Quinnen or even Bosa makes a difference as a rookie.  Allen could because it gives the defense another dimension.  But it will not matter, because if the defense gives the ball back to the offense and they are three and out an Darnold is beat up, its over.

If Darnold has blocking and possibly someone else to throw too, the offense looks good and most games are shootouts, Mac is a hero and next off season we find an EDGE, CB and whatever else.  Or at least we try.  

So, I think Mac tries his best to trade down, desperately.  

Why wait until next year for Edge when this is the Edge rush draft of the decade?  We took a QB last year in a loaded QB draft.  Let's not force OLine or anything else that isn't there simply because we need it.  If anything, I'd rather see us package up our two 3rd rounders and move into the early/middle of Round 2 for an exceptional OLine prospect like an Erik McCoy or Dalton Risner, and just stick at #3 and take the BPA.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Lol. I guess more people are starting to like him. He’s been my favorite player in the draft for a while now. I don’t think the Jets are considering him at #3. But I would take him in that spot with no hesitation. One of the few edge prospects that actually seems to know multiple ways to get to the QB. Like all these other guys, he can beat you with speed. But if you watch him, he also beats guys with jab steps, spins, swim move and on and on. Seems like a guy that cares about his craft. It’s like what have these other guys been doing in practice. Burns actually seems like he’s learning the position and implementing what the coaches are teaching him.

Take that with the fact that he is one of the more athletic guys and I’m sold. The risk with him is his weight. He bulked up to 250lbs for the combine but obviously played at a lower weight. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was going to include him in a trade along with Leo and Lee but they’d probably delete the thread. ?????????

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Curious as to what you guys would do if you were GM Thursday. I’d shake this team up. First I’d trade back into 1st round and get at least a 2 and 3 this year and a 2 next year. Not out of the question. Then trade Leo for 2. He’s just not worth the contract he’ll demand. We can get same production off the scrap heap. Cut ties now and get what you can. Next, trade Lee and one of the 3’s to move into 2nd round. Right there we’d have a low 1st, three 2nd rounders, two 3rd rounders. That’s 6 picks to redo the roster. Edge (Burns, Sweat) C (McCoy, Bradbury, or Jenkins), CB (Greedy, Oruwarie, Baker, Layne, Love) OT (Dillard, Little, Risner) WR (Metcalf, M Brown, AJ Brown,  Ridley, Campbell) and another edge (Z Allen, Polite, Ferguson, Winovich) The majority of these guys will be there in rounds 2 & 3.  While it’s not a draft full of spectacular talent, it’s still deep. And we’d still have a few picks left for Macc to screw up.

I would definitely trade down in order to pick up a lower 1st round pick, a 2nd and a couple picks for next season. I wouldnt mind trading Leo for a 2nd round pick if a team is willing to part ways with a 2nd rounder and pay Williams 14 million dollars this season. I dont necessarily have a problem with Williams and his play, I do believe that he wasnt worth the 6th pick in the draft both in terms of what was also available to be had along with the current roster at that time. With that said, trading him wouldnt make such a massive hole given that we have Henry Anderson on a cheap deal and the 3rd round pick from last year, Nathan Shepard. 

I would not trade Leo with the thought of staying at #3 and drafting a guy like Williams or Oliver. It's overkill just like it was when we drafted Leo, and we have more pressing areas to address. Im big on developing players, especially those we use draft picks on. So Henry Anderson and Nathan Shepard would be given more responsibility. 

I would do something similar with Parry Nickerson, which talent-wise I am VERY high on. I think with the right coaching and opportunity he's a star in this league. 

Every Olineman would be on the hot seat, meaning that im bringing in competition and guys found lacking are going to lose jobs. Oline would be my #1 focus. It is paramount that we maintain a running game for Sam to rely on to keep the offensive on schedule, while at the same time keeping the franchise guy upright and with enough time for WR routes to develop. 

My #2 focus would be providing another high end target, and I wouldnt mind adding another TE into the mix. We currently have 4 TE's on the roster and the only guy who has shown to be worthy of maintaining his roster spot is Herndon. Like the Oline group, if guys are found lacking in any aspect of what we need a TE to do, and we have young guys coming it to provide competition, then again, guys found lacking are going to lose jobs. I would have no problem trading down in the 1st round twice, and eventually picking up TJ Hockenson in the 1st round. I also wouldnt mind putting both Herndon and Hockenson on the field at the same time given that we dont have a stellar receiving group, and play a ton of Max protect while exploiting matchups along the seams while also giving guys like Anderson alot more room to work with and that Max protect concept to protect Darnold while providing more blocking for Bell. 

We have an offensive-minded coach and a new franchise QB. As the GM I would take full advantage of that and try to maximize that. The defense has probowler on every level of the defense currently (If we trade Leo we wouldnt). However, I would do everything in my power to provide protection and the ability to generate points. 

Jets are in a win, win position. The longer the talking heads get to start over analyzing these stupid drafts, the more the fans think taking ANYONE High is a mistake.

Outside of QB, 3 players have consistently been at the top of EVERY DRAFTNIKS BOARDS, Bosa, Q.Williams & Josh Allen. With talk of Murray going to the Cards & the Jets picking at 3 the worst thing that can happen is the Jets get one of the 2 top players by ranking in this entire freaking draft! Oh, poor us,lol.

Or we trade back in a deep draft. Win...win...win, either way. We also have 2 3rd rounders with 1 very high. IN THE MEAT OF THIS DRAFT. 

I like the way Bosas stock has fallen since the college season ended. You guys do know that Joey is a beast & many, many, people in the know think Nick has better edge bend & will be a better player than his brother right? 

Of course he sat out the season. Ask Brian Winters about abdominal tears, he toughed it out because he plays for pay. Nick Bosa plays for the NCAA to make money. His family is smart. College doesn't pay his bills. 

I hope we can trade back but if Bosa drops to 3 I'll be ecstatic. Hell, I'll  be happy with Bosa, QW, Josh Allen or Ed Oliver. Keep adding talented players. 

It depends on what happens at 3. Say Q.Williams is there, and you love the guy & his potential, you draft him & then you trade Leo for a #2 and you use that pick on the best offensive weapon available, whether it's a WR, TE or even an Olineman.

We have to start adding balance to both sides of the roster. That move alone improves the defense (Leo is OK) but QW would be way cheaper, we'd have 14.5 million more dollars to shop for bargains after the draft & we'd still have our 2 third rounders! Center in the 3rd? Fant or DK Metcalf with the 2nd? 

Imagine a Q.Williams, Fant, Jenkins, Jalen Hurd draft?

On 4/22/2019 at 9:20 PM, J_Smith said:

I think they’re the 2 best weapons in the draft. Fant has the ability to split out wide and is a matchup nightmare. Hockenson would allow Gase to utilize Herndon out wide.

Without a top o line, i think our best offense would be owning the middle with Hockenson/Fant, Herndon, and bell. The routes over the middle develop much quicker than the outter ones do

Without an improved OL, it will be a repeat of last year with Sam running for his life and potentially getting injured, Bell being suffocated at the line of scrimmage and another year of this board screaming WHY WHY WHY didn’t Macc invest in the OL. 

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Without an improved OL, it will be a repeat of last year with Sam running for his life and potentially getting injured, Bell being suffocated at the line of scrimmage and another year of this board screaming WHY WHY WHY didn’t Macc invest in the OL. 

i think gase saying the offensive line is a 'work in progress' a bit ago, and also saying that shell isn't close to returning to the field, is an indication they're going to draft a RT high in the draft who can start day 1.  my prediction, if they trade back, is that they draft a RT on day 1.

Archived