Daniel Jones vs Sam Darnold

Two weeks ago, while having my hair done, one of the hairdressers was cutting her uncle’s hair.  Nice man, from New Jersey.  I asked him about the best Italian restaurants  in NY...as we chatted I asked him if he was a Jet’s fan, he said he was a Giant’s fan.  He looked me in the eye and said, “I wish we would have drafted that Dawnawld guy!” Kinda surprised me, but he’s lived out here twenty years.

Can’t wait to talk to him again. ? 

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People forget that the Jets were a couple plays away from going to 2 consecutive Super Bowls. And we were good enough to win them. What would the world be like if Sanchez was a 2 time SB winner. Still would be our QB I guess.

I wonder how it would've turned out if Darnold was the QB in that Rex Ryan Era?

Jones is the same age as Sam. By the time this kid Jones actually gets on the field Darnold will already have a lot of experience under his belt. I don’t know if Jones will be any good or not, he didn’t impress in college like Darnold did. Sam looks like he’ll be at least a top 10 QB in this league. Who knows what Jones will turn into. I don’t think there are any gms out there who would seriously take Jones over Darnold but ya never know what the future holds. 

7 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

This is all true but you can say those things about so many Super Bowls. There so many “if” situations in Super Bowl history. 

You have somewhat of a point, but these were occurrences that happened at either the very last play of the game or with the Giants backs totally to the wall with the games very close to being over time wise.....that isn’t all that easy to find in SB history, with many of them being one sided games of course.

Revisiting that 20 year run they had before drafting Taylor.  The Jets, with their terrible owners after Werblin and awful front offices never even had it that bad.

So yes, I’d say if you look at the Giants over a long time frame I’d say they are “overrated”.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jones is the same age as Sam. By the time this kid Jones actually gets on the field Darnold will already have a lot of experience under his belt. I don’t know if Jones will be any good or not, he didn’t impress in college like Darnold did. Sam looks like he’ll be at least a top 10 QB in this league. Who knows what Jones will turn into. I don’t think there are any gms out there who would seriously take Jones over Darnold but ya never know what the future holds. 

Jones looks like he has a rag arm.

I thought this immediately, then later read a quote from some commentator lamenting that Jones is “Pennington after the surgeries”.

I wouldn’t go that far, but I do know, just by my initial impression, I personally would be very unhappy if the Jets drafted Jones to be their potential Franchise QB.

2 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

I wonder how it would've turned out if Darnold was the QB in that Rex Ryan Era?

Darnold would have done great.

He just passed his initial test with flying colors, playing for possibly the worst coach in NFL history, a horrific OC, along with said HCs best friend who he made DC and who shall never come close to being a DC again who could never hold a lead Darnold generated.

Rex Ryan gets way too bad a rap.  Granted the last few years there wasn’t enough talent to hide Sanchez and bad drafts had seriously weakened his D, so his act got stale...but it can never be forgotten that the man was 60 minutes from the SB in consecutive seasons with Mark Sanchez as his QB.  That is a significant accomplishment.

He also sent Bowles packing in a must win game for the Jets playing with 1/2 his team that hadn’t even practiced that week....Darnold would have been in a better situation under Ryan than he was in his rookie year.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

In SB XXV the kick for the game was neat 50 yards on chewed up grass in an era where kickers didn't routinely nail 50+ yarders.  The Giants offense did an amazing job of keeping the high powered Bills off the field.  They held the ball for over 40 minutes, basically if they had it 30 seconds less then Buffalo gets a FG attempt under 40 and the bills win.  Incredible job by the O.

Very good point.

I always envied the coaching staff the Giants put together compared to the Jets.  Great game planning there.

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People forget that the Jets were a couple plays away from going to 2 consecutive Super Bowls. And we were good enough to win them. What would the world be like if Sanchez was a 2 time SB winner. Still would be our QB I guess.

It would be like Eli with the Giants.  People can make fun of my opinion on this all they want but Mark and Eli are very similar.  Both turned it over a lot, both could look bad for 3 qtrs then play great late to help a team won, both helped their teams on 2 runs led by defense.  The biggest differences were that Eli's D's played great in championship games while Mark's did not and the Giants keep adding talent around Eli while the Jets took away all the talent and expected him to get better.  If the Jets D plays great in those 2 title games and eventually SBs and the Jets won then mark turns into what Eli Manning became which was untouchable despite being an average QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Very good point.

I always envied the coaching staff the Giants put together compared to the Jets.  Great game planning there.

And now the giants have Bowles 2.0 and just created a qb controversy while staffing a soon to be bottom 5 defense

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It would be like Eli with the Giants.  People can make fun of my opinion on this all they want but Mark and Eli are very similar.  Both turned it over a lot, both could look bad for 3 qtrs then play great late to help a team won, both helped their teams on 2 runs led by defense.  The biggest differences were that Eli's D's played great in championship games while Mark's did not and the Giants keep adding talent around Eli while the Jets took away all the talent and expected him to get better.  If the Jets D plays great in those 2 title games and eventually SBs and the Jets won then mark turns into what Eli Manning became which was untouchable despite being an average QB.

I agree 100% with your opinion. Sanchez is not why we lost those Championship games, and lets face it if we could tackle Rapelisburger in the 4th quarter we win that game. I often think Sanchez could have been much better than he was had he had a different situation to start his career. He was a better QB out of college than year 3. Rex sort of ruined him. But yes I view Sanchez and Eli as basically the same, just Eli just had things go his way and the defense did not choke.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I agree 100% with your opinion. Sanchez is not why we lost those Championship games, and lets face it if we could tackle Rapelisburger in the 4th quarter we win that game. I often think Sanchez could have been much better than he was had he had a different situation to start his career. He was a better QB out of college than year 3. Rex sort of ruined him. But yes I view Sanchez and Eli as basically the same, just Eli just had things go his way and the defense did not choke.

The Giants were consistently bringing in more talent for him on an annual basis.  The Jets stopped after year 2 and that's where his career went South.  You could win with Eli or mark as long as you surrounded them with enough talent.  They weren't the type to elevate those around them but they could compete in big games/moments with the right talent around them. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Giants have been the worst franchise in nfl since Coughlin left 

They were pretty bad at the end of the Coughlin years too.  People forget they had missed the playoffs 6 of his last 7 years there then won 11 games and made the playoffs the first year after he left.  McAdoo had a plan to move on from Eli but social media outrage cost him his job when he was doing the right thing.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They were pretty bad at the end of the Coughlin years too.  People forget they had missed the playoffs 6 of his last 7 years there then won 11 games and made the playoffs the first year after he left.  McAdoo had a plan to move on from Eli but social media outrage cost him his job when he was doing the right thing.

Who was the plan geno Smith ??‍♂️? mcadoo lost the lockerroom, they hated him and wouldn’t play for him. He knew he was gone end of yr. Mcdoodle decided only way to save his job was a Hail Mary, and show he could win with a mobile qb. Like geno ??

reese Made some dumb moves too like like their current gm. The franchise should have traded Eli when he had some value.. They needed a complete rebuild years ago

24 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Who was the plan geno Smith ??‍♂️? mcadoo lost the lockerroom, they hated him and wouldn’t play for him. He knew he was gone end of yr. Mcdoodle decided only way to save his job was a Hail Mary, and show he could win with a mobile qb. Like geno ??

reese Made some dumb moves too like like their current gm. The franchise should have traded Eli when he had some value.. They needed a complete rebuild years ago

It wasn't about Geno, it was about ending the streak that was holding the franchise hostage and then moving on from Eli after the season.  It was a smart plan but they buckled to social media nitwits and here they are 3 years later stuck in the same spot.

29 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

McAdoo was pounding the table for Patrick Mahomes. Reese & the Maras knew better - then McAdoo was the perfect scapegoat for the inept post-Coughlin Giants.

Fact is, the team has gotten worse post-McAdoo. Join me friends, in weeping for our big blue cousins. 

• Haha 1