Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I can't figure out if Allen is anything more than a Cam Newton who can't pass.  If he figures out how to pass, he can be very dangerous but that's a tall order.

Cam Newton is a good example of Allen's ceiling, and that's not particularly impressive. If he can get up to a 59% comp percentage he'll be lucky. But it should be pointed out that Newton had a completion percentage of 66% at Auburn. Allen has never been north of 56% at Wyoming in a full season. What magic is going to occur that will suddenly make a pedestrian passer into a star passer?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Cam Newton is a good example of Allen's ceiling, and that's not particularly impressive. If he can get up to a 59% comp percentage he'll be lucky. But it should be pointed out that Newton had a completion percentage of 66% at Auburn. Allen has never been north of 56% at Wyoming in a full season. What magic is going to occur that will suddenly make a pedestrian passer into a star passer?

The same magic that turned Hackenberg into a star at the NFL level.

• Haha 1

this is clearly a race to the bottom, i.e. tanking the season for a number one pick 

the Fitzpatrick/Rosen QB competition is a cry for help 

their OL is currently worst in the NFL it's Tunsil and a bunch of no ones... 3 different starters from last year>? 

• Sympathy 1

Looks like Fitz is swooning early...

After strong start, Ryan Fitzpatrick’s performance dips

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2019, 10:51 AM EDT

If the NFL were an amusement park, it would have a rollercoaster named the FitzMagic/Tragic.

Throughout his time in the league, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has performed well enough to raise expectations that he inevitably failed to sustain, reducing expectations to a point where he would unexpectedly exceed them. Over and over again.

It’s already happening in Miami. As noted by Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Fitzpatrick has followed the proclamation by coach Brian Flores that the veteran has become the clear leader in the quarterback competition with a couple of very bad practices, on Wednesday and on Thursday. Per Salguero, Josh Rosen performed better than Fitzpatrick on each day.

Fitzpatrick’s consistent inconsistency should definitely be a factor in the final assessment as to whether he or Rosen should win the starting job. And if Fitzpatrick wins the job, Rosen needs to be ready, because it will be just a matter of time before Fitzpatrick’s on-field effort gives Rosen a chance to play.

• Upvote 3

If the Phins are smart, they play Rosen and see what he has to offer them.

I suppose if they want to tank the season (and I loathe the idea of that from any professional team, and wish doing it could cost them their #1 pick tbqh) it doesn't really matter, Fitz and Rosen are IMO about equivalent right now.  Rosen just has much higher potential/upside over a much longer potential period.

Either case, hope we smoke the Phins twice this year, but they win enough to screw themselves out of the #1 pick, especially if they're TRYING to tank.  Hate that sh*t.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I gotta be honest looking back im still surprised so many Jet fans wanted Rosen instead of Sam lol

+1

I liked Baker myself, so I get what folks liked about him (and to be fair, what they disliked).

I understand the love for Sam, made sense mostly.

I understand the love for Allen, that bazooka of his makes people swoon.

I never understood Rosen.  Seemed like people said he was the "most pro ready", but clearly wasn't, and he sounded like a pampered douch every time he talked, the kind of guy who clearly played football because he could, not because he cared.

/shrug.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

+1

I liked Baker myself, so I get what folks liked about him (and to be fair, what they disliked).

I understand the love for Sam, made sense mostly.

I understand the love for Allen, that bazooka of his makes people swoon.

I never understood Rosen.  Seemed like people said he was the "most pro ready", but clearly wasn't, and he sounded like a pampered douch every time he talked, the kind of guy who clearly played football because he could, not because he cared.

/shrug.

Yeah I always felt this way.

Baker-   Older more  NFL ready QB but not necessarily the highest ceiling

Sam-  The younger highest all around ceiling

Allen-  Very raw but high ceiling

Rosen-  Big arm but off the field issues 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah I always felt this way.

Baker-   Older more  NFL ready QB but not necessarily the highest ceiling

Sam-  The younger highest all around ceiling

Allen-  Very raw but high ceiling

Rosen-  Big arm but off the field issues 

I don’t think Rosen has off the field issues. He said some dumb things during/after the draft, but nothing criminal.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I gotta be honest looking back im still surprised so many Jet fans wanted Rosen instead of Sam lol

I liked him but I will admit that the A&M game really biased me.  That was an incredible half of football and I got swept up a little by it.  I thought the media slant on him being difficult was way overblown as well.  Unfortunately, he didn't have much to work with in ARI and probably has even less in MIA so we may never get to see what his potential was.  I still think he could be a great passer in the right situation but it might have to be with a 3rd team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I liked him but I will admit that the A&M game really biased me.  That was an incredible half of football and I got swept up a little by it.  I thought the media slant on him being difficult was way overblown as well.  Unfortunately, he didn't have much to work with in ARI and probably has even less in MIA so we may never get to see what his potential was.  I still think he could be a great passer in the right situation but it might have to be with a 3rd team.

Sam is a much safer bet. Sam had even less to work with and still impressed

Going into the draft it seemed like a safe bet the Browns would take Darnold #1 so I had never even considered that was the pick for us.

It seemed like it was going to be Baker, Allen, or Rosen. I wanted Baker, but I was deathly afraid of taking Allen over the other two and looking back on it that was wrong. Allen may end up similar to Cam Newton which isn't ideal, but that's alot better than where Rosen appears to be headed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

This is why its impossible to tank in the NFL and thank god the Giants passed on Sam.

Yes, miami is awful, but the Bengals just lost their first round OL, their best guard and their best WR - they could easily be 3-13 with that team.

The Giants have Eli and Daniel Jones - with a bad line and no defense.  

Arizona has a rookie QB, bad Olinet, etc.

Its hard to get the #1 pick

22 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is why its impossible to tank in the NFL and thank god the Giants passed on Sam.

Yes, miami is awful, but the Bengals just lost their first round OL, their best guard and their best WR - they could easily be 3-13 with that team.

The Giants have Eli and Daniel Jones - with a bad line and no defense.  

Arizona has a rookie QB, bad Olinet, etc.

Its hard to get the #1 pick

We were a 4th down McGuire TD run away from the #1 pick last year....

• Upvote 1

just to review 

Josh Rosen was a 5 star Prep super arm number one QB in the nation who couldn't win in the Pac 12 and got his coach there fired

gets drafted in the NFL, round 1, and gets THAT coach fired. That team picks 1 overall the next year. 

now, in his 2nd team in 2 years (after going 1.10?) he's sitting behind this f--king guy

-CS7BN8F_400x400.jpg

that's it. I don't have a conclusion. Just a review of where we have been, and where we are now. 

Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, slats said:

Looks like Fitz is swooning early...

After strong start, Ryan Fitzpatrick’s performance dips

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2019, 10:51 AM EDT

If the NFL were an amusement park, it would have a rollercoaster named the FitzMagic/Tragic.

Throughout his time in the league, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has performed well enough to raise expectations that he inevitably failed to sustain, reducing expectations to a point where he would unexpectedly exceed them. Over and over again.

It’s already happening in Miami. As noted by Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Fitzpatrick has followed the proclamation by coach Brian Flores that the veteran has become the clear leader in the quarterback competition with a couple of very bad practices, on Wednesday and on Thursday. Per Salguero, Josh Rosen performed better than Fitzpatrick on each day.

Fitzpatrick’s consistent inconsistency should definitely be a factor in the final assessment as to whether he or Rosen should win the starting job. And if Fitzpatrick wins the job, Rosen needs to be ready, because it will be just a matter of time before Fitzpatrick’s on-field effort gives Rosen a chance to play.

If you think about it, Fitz has shown over and over and over that he is not really a starter that will get you there. He has some good games and then just falls off the map. It is idiotic to start Fitz but he keeps getting chance after chance.

• Upvote 1

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Josh Rosen "might just be the Dolphins' QB1" when the team returns to practice on Monday.

Rosen shined during Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage, making what Beasley deemed as "remarkable throws," while Fitzpatrick fared poorly, committing two interceptions while nearly throwing a third on an errant pass he forced into double coverage. Fitzpatrick has held the lead in Miami's quarterback competition all offseason, but Saturday's tour de force performance by Rosen may have turned the tide. "He’s made some improvement really across the board," gushed first-year head coach Brian Flores. "Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making." Rosen tanked as a rookie last year but never had much chance to succeed with a weak supporting cast and poor coaching in Arizona. The change of scenery this offseason seems to have done him some good

Just now, joewilly12 said:

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Josh Rosen "might just be the Dolphins' QB1" when the team returns to practice on Monday.

Rosen shined during Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage, making what Beasley deemed as "remarkable throws," while Fitzpatrick fared poorly, committing two interceptions while nearly throwing a third on an errant pass he forced into double coverage. Fitzpatrick has held the lead in Miami's quarterback competition all offseason, but Saturday's tour de force performance by Rosen may have turned the tide. "He’s made some improvement really across the board," gushed first-year head coach Brian Flores. "Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making." Rosen tanked as a rookie last year but never had much chance to succeed with a weak supporting cast and poor coaching in Arizona. The change of scenery this offseason seems to have done him some good

THE ROSEN ONE

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2019 at 2:56 PM, johnnysd said:

If you think about it, Fitz has shown over and over and over that he is not really a starter that will get you there. He has some good games and then just falls off the map. It is idiotic to start Fitz but he keeps getting chance after chance.

Never could stand anything about the guy.

Can’t throw the deep ball at all, has a rag arm, but somehow tries to get the rep as a “gunslinger”, many times throwing the ball as hard as he can and not really knowing where it’s going. Erratic on many other throws.

Lucks into the starting job at all the many locations he has been, as the starter virtually always gets hurt almost as soon as Fitzpatrick arrives.  He NEVER takes the job because he is “better”.

His history proves you’ll NEVER win with him, you’ll never even make the playoffs, not 1 single time.

When the Jets went 10-6 against the weakest schedule in NFL history, I knew that meant ANOTHER year wasted with Fitzpatrick starting.  Then instead of being appreciative of hijacking the Jets for a ton of dough as Idiot Maccagnan bid against himself for Fitzpatrick, he refused to even give Petty and Hackenberg just the time of day.  Wouldn’t give them the slightest bit of mentoring.

And last but not least the creep must have cashed over $50Mill in NFL checks....all the great QBs of yesteryear who some had to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet and who could outplay Fitzpatrick throwing left handed are turning in their graves.

His career proves one thing and that is that the quality of QB play has been almost universally horrific since he entered the league outside of a few teams.  Fitzpatrick wouldn’t be 3rd string on any team in the 1970’s.

14 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Never could stand anything about the guy.

Can’t throw the deep ball at all, has a rag arm, but somehow tries to get the rep as a “gunslinger”, many times throwing the ball as hard as he can and not really knowing where it’s going. Erratic on many other throws.

Lucks into the starting job at all the many locations he has been, as the starter virtually always gets hurt almost as soon as Fitzpatrick arrives.  He NEVER takes the job because he is “better”.

His history proves you’ll NEVER win with him, you’ll never even make the playoffs, not 1 single time.

When the Jets went 10-6 against the weakest schedule in NFL history, I knew that meant ANOTHER year wasted with Fitzpatrick starting.  Then instead of being appreciative of hijacking the Jets for a ton of dough as Idiot Maccagnan bid against himself for Fitzpatrick, he refused to even give Petty and Hackenberg just the time of day.  Wouldn’t give them the slightest bit of mentoring.

And last but not least the creep must have cashed over $50Mill in NFL checks....all the great QBs of yesteryear who some had to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet and who could outplay Fitzpatrick throwing left handed are turning in their graves.

His career proves one thing and that is that the quality of QB play has been almost universally horrific since he entered the league outside of a few teams.  Fitzpatrick wouldn’t be 3rd string on any team in the 1970’s.

I always thought the terms "gunslinger" and "game manager" were opposite ends on a scale of a QB's willingness to take risks more than an assessment of how big an arm one has. I mean I bet a lot of smaller armed guys are less likely to take risks and bigger armed guys are more likely to do so, but that's more a side effect than a definition.

Fitz has a tendency to play hero ball which makes him a gunslinger. Yeah his arm isn't the best, thus the picks and s#it, (I think his head goes further than his body can most times) but he's more of a gambler than a careful game manager like Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor.