Would this OLine be acceptable to you?

Maxman

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The benefit of drafting OTs is that they generally can transition to guard if they don’t work out at tackle.  You have less “bust” potential and have more versatility.  You draft a center or guard high, they better work out because there’s no where else to play them.  Besides, the OT position is so much more valuable, look at the available guards in free agency year to year, and then look at the available tackles, it’s night and day.  

Most of us here would be on board paying Conklin major FA $$ to eliminate the RT need.  If they can’t, why not draft Wirfs and do it for cheaper?  As of now, I’m predicting the jets sign a FA guard and draft Wirfs, since tackles are just too valuable.  All those times darnold rolls out to his right and the RT whiffed, that blew up so many plays.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Most of us here would be on board paying Conklin major FA $$ to eliminate the RT need.  If they can’t, why not draft Wirfs and do it for cheaper?  As of now, I’m predicting the jets sign a FA guard and draft Wirfs, since tackles are just too valuable.  All those times darnold rolls out to his right and the RT whiffed, that blew up so many plays.  

True, aside from being able to convert to guard, you have 2 tackle positions on the field.  You can start a guy at RT and then transition to LT, or keep him at RT.  There’s just so much more versatility when drafting OT prospects than there is IOL prospects.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True, aside from being able to convert to guard, you have 2 tackle positions on the field.  You can start a guy at RT and then transition to LT, or keep him at RT.  There’s just so much more versatility when drafting OT prospects than there is IOL prospects.  

I expect the jets to be able to sign a quality FA guard, and opt not to spend on a center b/c they can draft one on day 2.  So assuming no Conklin, they can sign a guard, draft someone like Wirfs who can at least start out on the right side, and then draft a center and that’s 3 new starters on the OL.  This still leaves likely a 2nd round pick for wr and a 3rd rounder for cb.

• Upvote 1

I know alot of people want a flashy receiver but honestly until our offensive line is fixed no reciever will look good anyway. We do not get better by bringing anyone from the offensive line we saw last year back, it was possibly the most pathetic pro offensive line I had ever seen and each and every player in my opinion needs to be replaced atleast as starters. If you have faith that darnold is your franchise qb you need to protect him and let him make his recievers look good instead of trying to draft recievers to make the qb look good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Some version of this scenario is actually starting to be how I hope things shake out.  I like the idea of a more veteran heavy line protecting Sam with new young weapons surrounding him.  If you can fill the majority of the gaps on the OL prior to the draft, I think the Jets could walk away with multiple playmakers in the first 3 rounds and that's probably the quickest way to turn around the roster.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Kelvin Beachum back on a two year deal

Left Guard - free agency

Center - Round Two of the draft

Right Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

1st round pick = Jerry Jeudy

Nope. Edoga is trash, too small and undersized for RT, and putting him at LT would be a disaster. He is not an answer.  

If we can't get Scherff, get the guy from the Lions, a smarter, meaner Winters. Draft a OT high. Beachum back for a year is acceptable as long as the rest of the line is vastly improved.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Whats best for Sam, Jeudy and Edoga or a rookie at RT without the top WR prospect 

I would rather start almost anyone other than Edoga at RT and I think we should absolutely be able to make that happen, even given the other FA and draft moves. 

• Post of the Week 1

Not bad, but they can do better.  WR class is very deep; go there in the 2nd or 3rd round for value.  If there's a run on OT early, then trade back a bit and get an extra pick or two before deciding on the best LT/WR available.  If they do go WR in the first, then pick three straight OL in rounds two and three. They're not likely to hit big on all the OL picks, and they need to come out of the draft with 2 young guys who can start right away, so draft at least 4 of them total.

Build an OL through the draft, not FA.  Target ONE good free agent OL. Please don't sign a couple of JAGS.  You sign FA OL either to plug a hole or get quality depth, not to start the rebuild.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

Now, I get the impression that you don't believe this, right? That you only created this thread to start some bantering? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

Not really putting it out there, Max.

Riffing off this, I'd settle for an OLine like this:

Left Tackle - Competent

Left Guard - Competent

Center - Competent

Right Guard - Competent

Right Tackle - Competent

I made a big trade that freed up about $90 million and netted us two draft picks. Here’s how I fixed the OL: 

Signed Graham Glasgow 

Signed Byron Jones

Drafted:

11. Mekhi Becton, OLT, Louisville 

17. Yetur Gross Matos, OLB, PSU

48. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin

68. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

79. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

82. Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin

110. Trey Adams, RT, Washington

140. Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF

171. Levonta Taylor, CB, FSU

202. Shyheim Carter, S, Alabama 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree, you def. need to bring beachum back.  Do not draft wr in the first round.  Do not.  If you don’t like the OL at 11, trade back, get more picks and then you can draft OL and have extra picks.  

Agreed.  If a plug and play starter at OT is not on the board at 11, ideal would be to trade back.  But we say that every year, and the trade back never materializes.  If trade back is not an option and the top OTs are off the board, then I am taking WR at 11.  I would certainly rather see us come away with a weapon for Sam instead of reaching for an OT, or grabbing one of the top edges like Chaisson or Epenesa.

Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Becton.  One of those 4 will absolutely be there at 11.  The question to Joe Douglas will be, are any of those 4 players more valuable to this team right now than Jeudy, Lamb or any other player he might have on the board.  I don't know that answer but it's going to be interesting waiting to see who is left when CLE goes on the clock and then waiting them out. 

I said this in another thread.  If there's only one guy left when the 9th pick comes up (JAX), I would consider a trade-up if the value was reasonable to jump CLE and get that guy, whoever it is.

I also don't know how big the gap is between the last guy in the top-4 and the consensus next guy on the board - Josh Jones.  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Becton.  One of those 4 will absolutely be there at 11.  The question to Joe Douglas will be, are any of those 4 players more valuable to this team right now than Jeudy, Lamb or any other player he might have on the board.  I don't know that answer but it's going to be interesting waiting to see who is left when CLE goes on the clock and then waiting them out. 

I said this in another thread.  If there's only one guy left when the 9th pick comes up (JAX), I would consider a trade-up if the value was reasonable to jump CLE and get that guy, whoever it is.

I also don't know how big the gap is between the last guy in the top-4 and the consensus next guy on the board - Josh Jones.  

Well another issue is the thought I have seen expressed on this forum many a time re oline in that we have to draft a certain type of olineman to suit Gases' blocking scheme.

Thus our nice list of 4 or 5 top OTs may actually only be 1 or 2 if this is true and if it is followed (which is pure folly imo)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think the value will be greater than any wr.  I think a lot of the wrs in the first round are too often drafted on measurables who don’t have the other skills to be good wrs and fail.  I’d rather take the best OL prospect at 11, then pick a pretty good wr prospect in the 2nd round and they will be there.  The way the nfl is legislated now, if you give your qb time, wrs will get open and if your qb can get the ball to them then you’re good if the wr can catch.  Draft pretty good wrs who can run routes and catch and protect darnold.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

11. Mekhi Becton, OLT, Louisville 

This guy worries me so much from a scouting perspective. There simply aren't any 360 or 370 pound dudes in the league. Trent Brown is maybe the only comp and that guy went 7th round 

Unrelated I think LG Alex Lewis returns and does a decent job. 

22 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

No. First round pick will be a Tackle or if for some reason they are all gone, trade back to select even more O linemen.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I expect the jets to be able to sign a quality FA guard, and opt not to spend on a center b/c they can draft one on day 2.  So assuming no Conklin, they can sign a guard, draft someone like Wirfs who can at least start out on the right side, and then draft a center and that’s 3 new starters on the OL.  This still leaves likely a 2nd round pick for wr and a 3rd rounder for cb.

This draft is very deep at WR also...if I'm GM, I'm taking OL in rds 1 and 2, then looking at WR/CB/RB in rd 3.

Of course, all depends on FA withe regard to the OL...but good WRs/RBs can look great with a healthy QB with time to throw and lanes to run through, and even a great WR/RB can struggle if the QB is on his back or injured and the OL is poor.

Build the foundation in this draft.  Might not be the sexiest draft, but drafting Brick and Mangold, both in the first round set us up for years.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:25 PM, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

Not if Wirfs is sitting there. Assuming Thomas is gone, I'm ok(ish) with going WR, although I'd prefer Lamb. Addressing only one o-line position at the top of the draft would not please me and the only way I'm cool with those two tackles on this team is if they have legitimate competition for their spots. 

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

This draft is very deep at WR also...if I'm GM, I'm taking OL in rds 1 and 2, then looking at WR/CB/RB in rd 3.

Of course, all depends on FA withe regard to the OL...but good WRs/RBs can look great with a healthy QB with time to throw and lanes to run through, and even a great WR/RB can struggle if the QB is on his back or injured and the OL is poor.

Build the foundation in this draft.  Might not be the sexiest draft, but drafting Brick and Mangold, both in the first round set us up for years.

i could see a scenario where a good OL is sitting there at 11, and while douglas gets offers for the pick he stays and takes wilfs.  then in the 2nd round he's thinking wr but then there's a run on them and instead takes someone like biadasz.  this still leaves 2 3rd rounders to address wr.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Not sure I would be excited by that OL but short of one incredibly lucky opportunity after another there is no way every hole in the roster can be addressed in a single offseason. 

We have a better chance of doing so if we make a certain trade involving a certain Box Safety.  

On 2/8/2020 at 11:25 PM, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

I could be on board with this if they brought back Beachum and signed 2 top shelf free agent lineman at guard and right tackle.  Then drafted a guard and center in the first 3 rounds to compete with our Harrison and crew to start. Edoga has potential but I’d prefer he’s depth and has to beat out Beachum to start. In your scenario the depth is nonexistent and the starting line has 3 question marks, not 2.

so get Beachum, Conklin, and Thuney and draft center and guard in rounds 2 and 3 after getting Sam a new toy.