Do you expect us to double dip at WR this draft?

Four biggest needs are...OT-WR-CB-Edge.

But is doesn't mean he wont include RB in round #3, if that player is a steal.  CB-Edge are also possible in 2nd - 3rd round...if they're very high on JD's Big Board.  Pushing the double dip OT-WR into possibly 4th-5th rounds.   

That's why...IMO...JD would probably like to execute several tradedowns in his first draft, in order to give himself more opportunities to cover all positions of need.  And draft some BPAs at the same time.  If given the opportunity, JD may move down and up the board a lot, to end up with the best compromise between BPA and positional need.   

Anyway...that's what I hope JD can accomplish in this draft.  Draft 8-10 players.  Maneuver down and up when possible.  Fill those positions of need...double dip,etc. And achieve best balance he can between BPA and needs. 

If JD has a successful draft like this...Jets can compete for the AFCE...now!

I don't think we need 2 WRs -- I think we have several guys who can compete for the #5 WR spot and be competent NFL WRs 

We need 1 very good starting caliber WR

Let's say we take Pittman in the 2nd round, that gives us a Top 5 of

Crowder, Perriman, Pittman, Doctson, (Smith, Bellamy, or Berrios) 

I don't think a 4th or 5th rd WR would come in here and change the equation much 

Now if we go OT, WR, WR, or WR, OT, WR, that's certainly a commitment that could make an impact 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yes.  If I'm the Jets I'm double dipping at both OL and WR with the first 4 picks.  My ideal draft looks something like this:

1st BAP OT - Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills

2nd BAP WR - Higgins (hopefully), Pittman, Aiyuk, Hamler, Reagor, etc.

3rd RD no particular order  BAP WR/OL - Claypool/Jefferson/Duvernary/etc. Peart/Wanogho/Charles/Hennessy. etc

4th RD BAP RB - McFarland/Dillon/Gibson/Perrine, etc. 

Offense solved, you're welcome 

I think I'd like to see an edge rusher or CB before a RB

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

2 WR's

An LT and a G or C.

We will probably draft a CB, but at best a pass rusher with upside. 

Can't get it all done in one year. 

I'm thinking they did so much on the interior line in free agency that they'd be better off adding two tackles, especially if there's a minor upset and they wait until the second round to take their first. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wish, yes. Expect, no. 

I wouldn't cound some JAG in round 5 as "double dipping".... to meet the intent of this thread title, I'd count that as "DOUBLE DIP ON WR BEFORE DAY 3"

There is a reasonable chance your round 5 pick at wr will not be a jag this year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is a reasonable chance your round 5 pick at wr will not be a jag this year.

I'd contest that. 

As amazing as this WR class is, there's a very real drop off. Last year was the polar opposite. Nothing up top, lots of clay on the bottom. After you get to about WR20.... About where the Johnsons/Davis'/etc go, it gets thin. If someone's gonna try and tell me that Proche in round 5 meets the definition of double dipping - i'll go put my Geno Smith Jersey on for 2020. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd contest that. 

As amazing as this WR class is, there's a very real drop off. Last year was the polar opposite. Nothing up top, lots of clay on the bottom. After you get to about WR20.... About where the Johnsons/Davis'/etc go, it gets thin. If someone's gonna try and tell me that Proche in round 5 meets the definition of double dipping - i'll go put my Geno Smith Jersey on for 2020. 

Sure it does.  2005 draft kerry rhodes 4th round andre maddox 5th round.  That is double dipping.

The jets if playing to draft strength could friggin triple dip at WR.  they won't but they could. 

Pittsburgh 2010 Emmanuel sanders 3rd round antonio brown 6th round

to me the Def of double dipping is making to picks of the same position type, increasing the odds tht you are going to get a starter,

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sure it does.  2005 draft kerry rhodes 4th round andre maddox 5th round.  That is double dipping.

The jets if playing to draft strength could friggin triple dip at WR.  they won't but they could. 

Pittsburgh 2010 Emmanuel sanders 3rd round antonio brown 6th round

to me the Def of double dipping is making to picks of the same position type, increasing the odds tht you are going to get a starter,

i get that, it's not wrong in the technical sense, but i'm saying at the heart of this thing, a 5th rounder is not going to cut it. for every 1 outlier, there's 47 guys who never made it out of training camp... 

Double dipping to me this year at WR would be ideally represented by at 2 picks prior to day 3. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Think the Jets go 1 OL, 2 WR, and 1 CB in the first 3 rounds.

Agreed or 2 OL and 1 WR.  But they definitely need to draft a CB.  Maybe like Arnette , Dantzler or Hall on day 2.  If you can get starters out of the first 3 rounds we will be golden.

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

There is no way we can go into next season with Breshad Perriman and Vyncint Smith

And I liked the Perriman signing and think Smith has some potential 

This has to be one of those cases where the letter "y" is treated like a vowel.

Vyncint "Sometimes Y" Smith

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

The way I've been looking at it is they have to get (1) an OT, (2)(3) 2 WR's, and then (4) either another OL (Cushenberry?) or a CB in the first 4 picks.

Round 1 LT.
Round 2 WR.
BPA with the two 3 rounders Edge/CB

round 4 C

roubd 5 WR

round 6 G T

22 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I keep having this thought of drafting Ruggs at 11 and then Higgins falls to 48 and he’s too good to pass up.   WR problem solved.  

I'd love it, honestly.  There are plenty of solid OL prospects that will still be available in the 3rd/4th round.  Getting 2 studs for Sam for the next 5 years would awesome. 

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we sign Antonio Brown and draft CeeDee Lamb then our starting WRs would be “AB” and “CeeDee”. 

Who’s with me on this?!  It’s not like any of our other strategies have worked. 

And if we sign Vernon Davis we will also have VD

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:07 AM, NYJ1 said:

I don't see any reason why not? Erik Decosta, Ravens GM, and someone I think is an excellent GM, said you can get starting caliber WR's in the 5th round. So why not double dip for WR?

"The receiver class is prolific by many people's standards," DeCosta said. "There's probably 25 draftable wideouts in this draft."

Daniel Jeremiah: The WR draft class is the deepest I've seen. Given 27 of them a top-three-round grade.

Looking at some of the mock draft aggregators, on average about 14-16 wide receivers are off the board by the end of round 2.  That leaves about 9-13 wide receivers to make it through the 3rd round.  The good thing is that if 14-16 WRs come off the board by the end of round 2, not many teams will be looking for WRs in round 3. 

Jets need 2 WRs by the end of the 4th round. Take them in whatever order the draft gives you if it’s at 11 and 48 so be it but our priority needs to be adding prime talent at WR and OT this year in the draft. 

If we go OT in round one, we can take the best available player of need at 48 and if isn't a receiver we can take two in the Third round or one in the third and one or two more in the later rounds.  How about we end up with Bryan Edwards, Quez Watkins and take a flyer on Joe Reed in the 6th.