Stats to think about

Deshaun Watson is a great QB, he is a franchise QB = TRUE

Deshaun Watson on a poor team had 4 wins last year = TRUE

NY Jets have poor talent = TRUE

Four out of the top 8 passing QBs missed the playoffs last year = TRUE

There is no question that Deshaun Watson is a great QB, there is no doubt he is a highly desirable player.

It ALL depends on the cost to get him.

(I for one don;t think he is going to be up for trade and we are all wasting a lot of breath on these threads.)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If its possible, for a not outlandish cost, its kind of a no-brainer. 

The debate has never been about Watson's talent.  It's always been about cost.  I don't think anybody defending Sam (including me) would have a problem trading for Watson if JD can negotiate an attractive deal...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I tend to agree with those who are skeptical that he will be traded.  You don't give up 25 year old NFL top 10 franchise QBs in this league.  I will beleive it when I see it.  And I would love to see it.  Texans sucked this year, but the guy has had 3 seasons as a starter and made the playoffs, winning his Division twce.  His presence would probably help us sign a Robinson/Godwin/Golladay type. 

If we have to part with three 1s, I am willing to do it.  But I don't think it is gonna happen.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is no question that Deshaun Watson is a great QB, there is no doubt he is a highly desirable player.

(I for one don;t think he is going to be up for trade and we are all wasting a lot of breath on these threads.)

Watson played in a shotgun offense in Houston, and still he' s been one of the most sacked QB'S the last 4 years. He'd be under center here, most of the time. Also with a run option system, you have to at least to a small degree consider that he's had two reconstructive knee surgery's. He's been a great player in that system, but trading so much too get him, you'd have to consider everything.

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Att:495

Comp:335

Comp %: 67.3

Yards: 3,852

TDs: 26

Ints: 12

What Stats are those? Those are DeShaun Watsons, in his statistically WORST year as Full Time starter, in 2019 (15 Games Played).

That is his "floor". There is another board elsewhere on the internet where the posters are all saying Watson "isn't elite". LOL. Thats a joke. If Darnold had numbers even approaching those in the last 3 years, we'd be convinced we had our FQB. Those numbers represent Watsons FLOOR. Let that sink in. 

Watsons FLOOR is essentially what we HOPE is what Sam turns into. That's absurd. 

I've seen how Watsons playoff record of 1-2 has been criticized. In 2019, Watson playoff stats are:

2 Games, 635 yards (62% Comp), 8.2 YPA, 3 TDs, 0 picks, and 2 rushing TDs for a QBR of 104.6. Yeah, Watson wasn't the problem. LOL.

Wilson is an unknown.  Fields is meh. Lance is an enigma. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask have "Career Backup" written all over them. 

and he was 4-12 last year with the texans... in a year in which he played statistically better than above... You NEED to Build The TEAM...  1 player will Not Do Anything for the jets.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t see how there’s any way, if you’re Saleh and Douglas, you don’t find the Watson option 1000x more preferable to literally any other option, even with the cost. 

Watson would have to redo his contract or it’s a non-starter.   

13% of the salary cap seems to be magic #.  Anything over that and teams are too constrained to win it all.   Mahomes new deal doesn’t kick in for another year, will be interesting to see what happens to KC when they can’t afford to pay anyone except mahomes. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No trade clause says Watson picks who the Texans can deal with. Texans have to take what they can from who he says. 2 of our first rounds picks are "free" from the Jamal trade. Jamal plus what is a good deal for a franchise quarterback? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

and he was 4-12 last year with the texans... in a year in which he played statistically better than above... You NEED to Build The TEAM...  1 player will Not Do Anything for the jets.

Adding a 25 year old franchise QB IS building the team.

I can’t believe we have so many people here against this. It’s the most no-brainer thing the Jets could do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pointman said:

Darnold throws 2000 yards. Two. Thousand. Watson would be great. If not, its ok. Give me Fields or Wilson. I can't watch another 2,000 passing yard season. I can't. 

Darnold 300+ yard games, career:  4

Watson 300-yard games:  20

Justin Herbert 300-yard games:  8

Joe Burrow 300-yard games:  5 (in just 10 games played)

Tua Tagovailoa 300-yard games:  2 (in just 9 starts)

Oh, and also, Brandon Allen (3rd string QB for the Bengals) threw for 371 yards in Week 16 of the past season.  More than Darnold has thrown for in any game of his career (341).

And Taylor Heinicke threw for 300+, in a playoff game, in his 2nd career start.

• Upvote 2

Maybe they’ll surprise me if they trade him, but I don’t Houston can get fair value for a 25 year old franchise QB signed to a reasonable contract. There’s no precedent. This would be like those NBA superstar deals where teams just get what they can.

Houston has also made horrifically bad trades over the last couple of years and will have little to no leverage and Douglas has consistently done better than fans expect. The number two pick is also a way more valuable trade chip than gets discussed in the comparisons to the Adams or Ramsey trades.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

More like getting corporal tunnel ?

5 hours ago, jetsons said:

I had to endure a season of Jet fans rooting for our opponents because 1 QB was gona change the team.....

What happened? 

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What Stats are those? Those are DeShaun Watsons, in his statistically WORST year as Full Time starter, in 2019 (15 Games Played).

That is his "floor". There is another board elsewhere on the internet where the posters are all saying Watson "isn't elite". LOL. Thats a joke. If Darnold had numbers even approaching those in the last 3 years, we'd be convinced we had our FQB. Those numbers represent Watsons FLOOR. Let that sink in. 

Watsons FLOOR is essentially what we HOPE is what Sam turns into. That's absurd. 

I've seen how Watsons playoff record of 1-2 has been criticized. In 2019, Watson playoff stats are:

2 Games, 635 yards (62% Comp), 8.2 YPA, 3 TDs, 0 picks, and 2 rushing TDs for a QBR of 104.6. Yeah, Watson wasn't the problem. LOL.

Wilson is an unknown.  Fields is meh. Lance is an enigma. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask have "Career Backup" written all over them. 

If Darnold had Minshew, Tua, Mariota, Fitzpatrick, Trubisky numbers — all guys that are scoffed at as jokes here — we’d be convinced we had our FQB.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, and also, Brandon Allen (3rd string QB for the Bengals) threw for 371 yards in Week 16 of the past season.  More than Darnold has thrown for in any game of his career (341).

Damn. That is depressing. I want to retire on behalf of Sam.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

I tend to agree with those who are skeptical that he will be traded.  You don't give up 25 year old NFL top 10 franchise QBs in this league.  I will beleive it when I see it.  And I would love to see it.  Texans sucked this year, but the guy has had 3 seasons as a starter and made the playoffs, winning his Division twce.  His presence would probably help us sign a Robinson/Godwin/Golladay type. 

If we have to part with three 1s, I am willing to do it.  But I don't think it is gonna happen.

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Watson would have to redo his contract or it’s a non-starter.   

13% of the salary cap seems to be magic #.  Anything over that and teams are too constrained to win it all.   Mahomes new deal doesn’t kick in for another year, will be interesting to see what happens to KC when they can’t afford to pay anyone except mahomes. 

Above 13% is ok when you are drafting well and keeping the young cheap players coming through the system. If your chasing FA that’s when too many players are earning 5-8% of the cap

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woeepinz

keanu reeves gun-fu GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

14 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I spent an hour the other day just staring at his numbers. TD \ INT ratio doesn't tell the whole story, but when I do what you just did -- start at the floor, you can usually figure out the upside. Matthew Stafford is hard to figure out but how much of that is the Lions? His year 3 was off the charts but never got back to that 40 TD level. Still very good.

But, to your point, Watson's ceiling is unthinkable because his floor is better than any of us can comprehend.

When you add another 500 rushing yards a season and 5 rushing TDs, none of us have ever seen QB play like this here. Nothing close.

If I am Joe Douglas I am trading for Watson, 3 # 1 picks, here you go. And I am signing Allen Robinson. Go get Thuney in free agency and a CB with the 1st pick in round 2.

They could have a practice squad running back get 1,000 yards in this system, with Watson at QB and that OLine.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is the biggest reason I want to move on from Sam. I was certain they were getting a gun slinger and the INTs that he throws does match that mentality. I am not sure what happened but the other side of that is gone. The deep ball accuracy is a HUGE concern. How much Gase ruined him is a huge concern.

Darnold is basically a game manager and the upside isn't that encouraging at the moment. I don't think the Jets did him any favors but it all is what it is at this point in time.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, jetsons said:

Maybe or maybe not but it would be fun to watch the Jets try and build a team around a top 5 QB, like for once. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I had to endure a season of Jet fans rooting for our opponents because 1 QB was gona change the team.....

What happened? 

He wasn't going to cost us 3 1st's plus, whatever lol... He would have been our pick at #1. That's a BIG difference.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:07 AM, kevinc855 said:

What happened? 

Yeah what kind of fools didn’t anticipate a top 5 QB in his prime possibly becoming available for the first time in NFL history when they formed their initial opinion about what the Jets should do in the draft.