Texans’ Demands For Deshaun Watson Trade Revealed

Bronx

19394A5E-2D8D-4D41-B846-D2E3391CECE6.thumb.jpeg.f2d872a98971d5fe5eca40a5fdf2b6bc.jpeg

71F56C3A-832C-404E-B645-933CD104E0F9.jpeg

J. Person says:

2- 1st round picks and Established Player

-or-

3- 1st round picks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McClain says: 2 - 1st round picks, 2- 2nd round picks and 2 defensive starters.

I'd trade Person's reported compensation no problem. That's literally our first round pick and Jamal Adams for Watson. 

get it done JD

• Upvote 3

I mean this could include 2 and/or Q or it could be something way more low key.

Jets trading 2, 23, 34, next year’s 2, Q, and Franklin-Myers fits this.

Jets trading both Seattle first round picks, 2’s in 2022 and 2023, Mosley, and Henry Anderson also fits this.

Imagine if Mosley could be the David Johnson, Brandin Cooks centerpiece for Houston.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetsQuebec said:

For me it’s Watson or Darnold!!! I don’t like the overreaction for Wilson or Fields. People is really forgetting about how great coaching is important 

I dont mind drafting a QB or trading back.  I do mind giving up a sh*tload of draft picks knowing how bare our roster is AND giving up our few good roster players we have now.  Makes no logical sense 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

2OA is worth multiple 1sts.  QW is worth a 1 & then some.  Then, in this hypothetical, you need to throw in another 1st, two 2nd rounders, & another young defensive starter?  Nah.  You don’t cripple your entire franchise’s future for one player.

Many people on here are more than happy to do just that.  And assume that Houston winning 4 games last year with a good QB will be totally different and the jets will make the playoffs in year one.  More likely is that the 1st rounder we hand to them next year ends up being a top 5 pick.

• Upvote 2

While there may be some wiggle room in terms of defining which 2 young defensive starters we might be talking about I am going to have to say that in answer to their opening position on what they would want then our opening position would have to be "No".

Back to Fields or Wilson cheaply plan for 5 years or either stick with Sam or try to pick up a serviceable starter while we fill in the rest of the gaps on the roster.  If we go with any solution that does not assume Sam is the starter then JD needs to shake whatever trees might be out there this year in terms of capturing at least some value for him.

At some point everyone becomes too expensive.  First round picks are not a lock even high first round picks.  Look an Quinnen for example.  There was a time when some thought he was a complete bust and now he looks like a foundational piece for the next decade.  It is hard enough to get one of those in the first place before we go trading him away as a throw in piece on another deal.

Quinnen for Watson straight up with Sam as a sweetener.... Maybe. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Many people on here are more than happy to do just that.  And assume that Houston winning 4 games last year with a good QB will be totally different and the jets will make the playoffs in year one.  More likely is that the 1st rounder we hand to them next year ends up being a top 5 pick.

Agreed.  Look nobody is denying what a very good taleNt Watson is.  If the situation was better and our roster was better I could understand exploring it.  But that’s not the reality.  We only have a few pieces who are legit players going forward.  It certainly wouldn’t help Watson trading all those picks/players And he had nothing around him.  It wouldn’t take him long to be pissed off.  Just keep building though the draft which JD wants to do.  We are in a great position.  If you want to take a QB at 2 great.  If you want to trade back and to gain more picks to build the team quicker that’s great too.  The Watson thing is honestly a pipe dream.  Houston was probably smiling when they heard was Stafford fetched back.  They can demand a monster Kings ransom and don’t have to be in a rush either

• Upvote 3

Our only hope of a reasonable deal if if the 2nd pick is huge for them to get their new QB

If that’s the case then we may be able to get away with offering less & Houston still doing the deal

I’d do the deal with
Pick #2
Next years 1
2 years from now 1
(Maybe a 3 in there somewhere as well)
Or Quentin instead of one of the 1’s

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

37 minutes ago, jetsQuebec said:

We are overreacting for Wilson!! We need to trade down and having more premium picks. The important thing here, is having good coaching! I am 100% sure that Darnold will have a huge boost with good coaching

Perhaps!  But Watson is a great option if the price is right.  JD is a good negotiator, and he comes from Eagles/Ravens programs that never make these kinds of huge deals.

Darnold/Wilson

-or-

Watson

Either way, we're good.  Pity teams like the Texans, Dolphins, Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, Colts, Redskins, and Bears who have no quarterback at all.  They're the desperate ones, not us.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

2021 1st and 2nd (We maintain 23rd)

2022 1st (we still have a first due seattle)

2023 2nd

Fatuski and Hall

We get Watson.

Take this in a heartbeat 

That’s still too much imo. If they want players, they can draft them with those picks or piss off. Take away one of those 1sts, maybe. I’d rather send Bless than Hall 

32 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Watch him torching us with the Dolphins!

Doing the George Costanza I see. That’s what I’ve been doing also. 
Let’s all say he’s going to Miami & he ends up with the Jets. Great strategy. 

• Upvote 1

They'll want 2 ones, 2 twos and 2 young defensive starters, at the least.

They'll have to want, because I don't think anyone is going to give them this.

At that price, I (reluctantly) refuse to trade, stand pat, and draft a QB ourselves.

Remember, there is a chance Wilson, Fields, Jones, etc. could be a Watson-level performer. 

No one knows yet, hence the risk.  But even for a known-quantity elite QB partway through a non-rookie contract, some prices are simply too high to pay.

I'd offer 2021 #23, 2022 Seattle #2, 2023 #2 Pick and Sam Darnold.  Take it or leave it.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

That’s still too much imo. If they want players, they can draft them with those picks or piss off. Take away one of those 1sts, maybe. I’d rather send Bless than Hall 

The roster with those 2 guys off it and Watson on it immediately upgrades our roster. We keep first rounders this year and next. IMO you cant beat this deal. They want Q most likely but this is an offer i stand firm on for a bit and see what they do next

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stark said:

19394A5E-2D8D-4D41-B846-D2E3391CECE6.thumb.jpeg.f2d872a98971d5fe5eca40a5fdf2b6bc.jpeg19394A5E-2D8D-4D41-B846-D2E3391CECE6.thumb.jpeg.f2d872a98971d5fe5eca40a5fdf2b6bc.jpeg

71F56C3A-832C-404E-B645-933CD104E0F9.jpeg

The thing is, this can AND WILL change. There is NO WAY the Jets will trade Q if it also involves 2 first rounders. Thats too much, IMO. Q is one of the 'untouchable' players on the Jets. Along with Becton. 

First Houston said they had no intention of trading Watson. now we are getting reports of specific offers they would accept. Seems to me like Watson wants out and Houston is in a very tough spot with only certain teams who can offer them cap relief, certain teams Watson would go to and certain teams that have the draft capital to offer Houston a good deal. It's their job to get the best deal they can get for Watson so the initial offer is astronomical. But once all is said and done- IF this deal does get done, it will be nowhere near 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and 2 young starters. Just not happening. Especially with a player like Q being one of them. 

IMO Houston can only expect 3 first rounders and they should be happy with that, especially if they can get the #2 overall pick from the Jets. I could see a player swap added as a sweetener like Mercilus for Shepherd or something like that- for additional cap relief. 

The middle of round 1 is worth about 1,000 points on the traditional chart.  Next year's pick is probably worth roughly half that and the 2023 pick we can call half that again.  So 1,750 points.  Round it up to 2,000 for kicks.  The #2 is worth 2,600.  So other than willfully ignorant local writers and genetically ignorant fans, nobody is going to equate our #2 with a typical 1st round pick.

Where does that leave us?  Depends on what HOU *really* wants.  if they want to replace Watson, we have a great chip in place that they can't get anywhere else except maybe MIA.  But I'm limiting to #2, our first-rounder next year, and one more Day-2 pick (round 3 this year or round 2 next).  Maybe Sam and/or a lesser defensive player.  No QW. No Becton.

That's somewhere around 3,500-4,000 points of chart value.  I'm not sure but that might be the most value ever offered in a trade in NFL history, which is fine, but there's no reason to blow past it.  I honestly don't see any team other than MIA being able to come close to that without including an All-Pro level player, but those generally come with big contracts that HOU can't afford.  If the deal doesn't happen, I'm okay with that as that would be far better than being on the MIN end of the Herschel Walker deal.  Thank god Maccagnan is gone because he might have done it.

1 hour ago, shrekman1 said:

This put the Jets in a better position. The Jets have the second pick which is more valuable then the two the Rams gave up. Second, Detroit was to take on a big contract. Remember Watson has a no trade clause. He has all the leverage. Teams can come up with what ever the want, but if Watson doesn't want to go there, oh well. This is a two horse race. Jets & Miami with the Jets being the front runner. Houston is not in a good position to trade, no leveI rage. The Jets have many options. If this trade happen, the two firsts from Settle, our second pick and a second next year. No young players from the Jets. If the don't like it, we have the second pick on Zach Wilson or some other stud.

I would not rule out Carolina who is reported very serious about trading for Watson.  I could see them sending whatever Houston is asking for and Watson could bite because Matt Ruhle is one of the leagues brightest young coaches.   Charlotte is also a pretty cool place to live.  

27 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The roster with those 2 guys off it and Watson on it immediately upgrades our roster. We keep first rounders this year and next. IMO you cant beat this deal. They want Q most likely but this is an offer i stand firm on for a bit and see what they do next

I care more about giving them up PLUS all of those picks. They are getting the #2 pick already. I don’t think JD is doing that trade. 

• Upvote 1

• For any team other than the Jets, the media coverage are loyal fans who are basically team mouthpieces.  Jet fans would never buy that.  We like media coverage to insult people and cause problems.   So McClain is doing is job.
  • The Texans are really not smart, but their fans are too invested and loyal.  They will not be able to pull a deal off that does not look like they fleeced the Jets.  They want a Herschel, deal, like their fellow Texas team got.  Any deal will get compared to that.
  • It took the Vikings a decade to recover from the Herschel deal, so hopefully JD is not thinking about that.
  • I don't think a deal like this is in JD's DNA, but what happens here will tell us how much Woody is involved.  
  • The Texans are in a tough spot, but they need to keep Watson.  Sit him on the bench for a year, but a franchise QB like him can play for 10 years.  4 years ago the Jets took Adams at 6 rather than Watson at 12 who went at 12, because we did not think his arm was strong enough the Meadowlands, and we thought that Mahomes was too college.  Who knows how they would have ended up under Bowles and Gase.  But, honestly, I don't see Wilson or Fields ending up as good in the NFL as Watson is.  Wilson has too many issues.  Fields is a prospect.  For him I am also asking for alot more to make my team better.   If it was the first pick, I would offer it for Watson, straight up.  

Something about this writer that bugs me.  Seems arrogant and wants to think his team has leverag. She. He lists all those things and than adds “at least” part me wants to pass for no other reason just to spite him. 

I really  don’t think we should give up all these picks for deshaun.  We can really build the team up with all this draft capita plus Williams. We will really be depleted with that trade and clearly the Texans proved you can have Watson and still be a bad team.

• Sympathy 2