(Unconfirmed and highly dubious) Jets & Broncos working on a trade for Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold trade possibilities point to Broncos, Panthers

March 28, 2021 | 8:39pm 

thats not a stretch considering there the only 2 teams left without a starting QB.

Minshew is out there too. lets hope JD isnt asking for the Sun and the Moon for Sam. hes runinng out of trade partners. 

and Jones should be there at 8 unless somebody moves up. but there really nobody left expect maybe NE who would want a QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Go over to a Broncos blog. Some fans say a 2nd others say a 3rd or a 4th. A good deal of them blame Darnold’s issues on Gase. If they only trade a 3rd, their fans will be mostly happy. If it’s a 2nd, they’ll be split but definitely leaning towards feeling like they overpaid.

If i was Broncos I would be happy if it was a 3rd high upside low enough risk 

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

His posting style with intermittent caps usage just screams he's insecure and full of sh*t.

The worst part is that this particular trade (Darnold to DEN) can definitely happen based on what I have heard (mostly from Ben Allbright, that’s why I mentioned Denver weeks ago) and I have no doubt that Sileo is just throwing sh*t against the wall with no source, given his track record, so he will go on a Twitter rampage about “haters”.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

You clearly just googled those without reading them. 

Literally not one of them report on actual information in regards to the Jets and Broncos talking today. They all just regurgitate the same speculation. 

I found some articles and shared them.  Sorry it inconvenienced you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold is horrific.  What team would be dumb enough to trade anything for him?

Come on, dude. Has he lived up to expectations? No. But is he horrific? Absolutely not. We have seriously FAILED to surround Darnold with anything even remotely good on offense. 

Zero running game, GARBAGE coaching, below average offensive line, no wide receivers besides Robby and we left him go, and no tight end. 

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

If you were a Broncos fan, how excited would you be if your team gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Sam Darnold. Be honest? 

I will tell you, I have a bunch of Steeler fan friends and they would all love Sam and happy to give up a 2nd.

Don't underestimate what a joke of a franchise fans of other teams think the Jets are.

• Upvote 1

So with the price to move up now well exceeding the price for trading Sam, does @football guy still stand by the prior opinion that JD would weigh each offer and take the one that is better?  If so, the trade up to pick 2 could be a ransom.  Or has that ship sailed.  Interested in what he is hearing now.  

FWIW, I think that ship has sailed, and we are taking Wilson.  The only question is whether we are moving Darnold.  I’d sit tight on Darnold unless I got the compensation I wanted.   And we still need a qb2.  I don’t buy that they haven’t signed Mullens to not tip their hand on Darnold.  Mullens could easily back up Darnold as well.  JD has shown he can be patient, and I’m sure he’d wait out a major QB injury in preseason or early season to get a better pick next year.  Seems like he rushes for no one.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

So with the price to move up now well exceeding the price for trading Sam, does @football guy still stand by the prior opinion that JD would weigh each offer and take the one that is better?  If so, the trade up to pick 2 could be a ransom.  Or has that ship sailed.  Interested in what he is hearing now.  

FWIW, I think that ship has sailed, and we are taking Wilson.  The only question is whether we are moving Darnold.  I’d sit tight on Darnold unless I got the compensation I wanted.   And we still need a qb2.  I don’t buy that they haven’t signed Mullens to not tip their hand on Darnold.  Mullens could easily back up Darnold as well.  JD has shown he can be patient, and I’m sure he’d wait out a major QB injury in preseason or early season to get a better pick next year.  Seems like he rushes for no one.

I think it's already happened, just not officially. There's not going to be the market for #2 that people expected there to be, and I don't think Douglas is going to take a lesser deal when he can get closer to FMV for Darnold than he can for #2. The 49ers and Jets may not have negotiated for #2, but to say that they didn't feel out the Jets is ridiculous. 49ers knew the Jets wouldn't trade #2 prematurely, and they also knew they wouldn't trade out of the top 10.   

Carolina was the only realistic team they could hammer out a trade with considering the Jets didn't want to exit the top 10, but it doesn't sound like they are prepared to make any godfather offers. The Philadelphia rumor is way off. It was always their intent to use this offseason to reset the roster, and they would only move up if they were stealing the pick (i.e. their 1st and 2nd for #2... not happening). 

If there wasn't a Zach Wilson in this draft, this would be a big problem, but it helps that the Jets reportedly rate him very highly. They love Darnold too, but they're not going to let emotions dictate their path. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think it's already happened, just not officially. There's not going to be the market for #2 that people expected there to be, and I don't think Douglas is going to take a lesser deal when he can get closer to FMV for Darnold than he can for #2. The 49ers and Jets may not have negotiated for #2, but to say that they didn't feel out the Jets is ridiculous. 49ers knew the Jets wouldn't trade #2 prematurely, and they also knew they wouldn't trade out of the top 10.   

Carolina was the only realistic team they could hammer out a trade with considering the Jets didn't want to exit the top 10, but it doesn't sound like they are prepared to make any godfather offers. The Philadelphia rumor is way off. It was always their intent to use this offseason to reset the roster, and they would only move up if they were stealing the pick (i.e. their 1st and 2nd for #2... not happening). 

If there wasn't a Zach Wilson in this draft, this would be a big problem, but it helps that the Jets reportedly rate him very highly. They love Darnold too, but they're not going to let emotions dictate their path. 

they may say they love darnold, but really, you can't say they think he's as ready to step into this offense and perform like wilson can.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they may say they love darnold, but really, you can't say they think he's as ready to step into this offense and perform like wilson can.  

I don’t agree. I think the coaches think Darnold would be most ready to step in and be successful. As someone who loves Wilson the prospect, fans should expect 2021 to be an up-and-down year for Wilson if he is in fact the starter. He’s going to make a lot of mistakes, but as long as the Jets properly develop him and continue surrounding him with talent, it won’t be an issue long-term. 

26 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the market for Darnold is soft, do you see a scenario where both Darnold and Wilson are on the roster in 2021?

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Come on, dude. Has he lived up to expectations? No. But is he horrific? Absolutely not. We have seriously FAILED to surround Darnold with anything even remotely good on offense. 

Zero running game, GARBAGE coaching, below average offensive line, no wide receivers besides Robby and we left him go, and no tight end. 

Not mutually exclusive.  The Jets did him no favors AND he is also horrific at playing QB (he  was really bad at USC also outside of one game, by the way).  Otherwise he would not have been the lowest rated QB in the NFL for 3 straight years.  That's horrific play by any definition.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

John Beck says Wilson will meet two former Jets QBs, Chad Pennington and Josh McCown, to discuss the challenges of playing in America's biggest market. 

(On phone, can't copy and paste)

That seals it. They're trotting out the Pennington.

dragon ball z GIF

Or is this premature?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don't think he was a "horrific" rookie or second year QB, but he was "horrific" in his 3rd season and that is a big problem. The 2nd and 3rd years are critical years within the rookie QB contract window. 

26 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t agree. I think the coaches think Darnold would be most ready to step in and be successful. As someone who loves Wilson the prospect, fans should expect 2021 to be an up-and-down year for Wilson if he is in fact the starter. He’s going to make a lot of mistakes, but as long as the Jets properly develop him and continue surrounding him with talent, it won’t be an issue long-term. 

if the jets draft Wilson their next 2 picks better be OL and TE/RB/WR.

10 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

John Beck says Wilson will meet two former Jets QBs, Chad Pennington and Josh McCown, to discuss the challenges of playing in America's biggest market. 

(On phone, can't copy and paste)

I have no idea why I posted this in this thread. ?

Carry on. 

24 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If the market for Darnold is soft, do you see a scenario where both Darnold and Wilson are on the roster in 2021?

I don't buy this mornings reports that the market is soft if that's what you're asking. I think once they officially confirm everything a trade will happen rather quickly.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The worst part is that this particular trade (Darnold to DEN) can definitely happen based on what I have heard (mostly from Ben Allbright, that’s why I mentioned Denver weeks ago) and I have no doubt that Sileo is just throwing sh*t against the wall with no source, given his track record, so he will go on a Twitter rampage about “haters”.

What are you hearing in terms of trade compensation for Darnold?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not mutually exclusive.  The Jets did him no favors AND he is also horrific at playing QB (he  was really bad at USC also outside of one game, by the way).  Otherwise he would not have been the lowest rated QB in the NFL for 3 straight years.  That's horrific play by any definition.  

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career USC         549 846 64.9 7229 8.5 8.7 57 22 153.7
*2015 USC Pac-12 FR QB                    
*2016 USC Pac-12 FR QB 13 246 366 67.2 3086 8.4 9.0 31 9 161.1
*2017 USC Pac-12 SO QB 14 303 480 63.1 4143 8.6 8.5 26 13 148.1

He wasn't really bad at USC. Do some research before making stupid comments.

9 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career USC         549 846 64.9 7229 8.5 8.7 57 22 153.7
*2015 USC Pac-12 FR QB                    
*2016 USC Pac-12 FR QB 13 246 366 67.2 3086 8.4 9.0 31 9 161.1
*2017 USC Pac-12 SO QB 14 303 480 63.1 4143 8.6 8.5 26 13 148.1

He wasn't really bad at USC. Do some research before making stupid comments.

22 INTs in 2 seasons plus he led D-I in QB fumbles (20, lost 14) in that span.  That's bad, especially for a supposedly elite prospect with a loaded roster.  Do some research before making stupid comments.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I would think the last step for the Jets in the Zach Wilson decision would be to make sure his medicals all check out. I don't know when the Jets get to look at them, or if they have already, but assuming they are all good, it's probably time to start getting serious about trading Darnold. 

April 8-10 is a sort of combine physical set of days for 150 prospects. The combine physicals were normally for around 335 prospects. Zach will be one of them. No one expects there to be an issue but it is still a checbox

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I don't think he was a "horrific" rookie or second year QB, but he was "horrific" in his 3rd season and that is a big problem. The 2nd and 3rd years are critical years within the rookie QB contract window. 

He was horrible but it’s hard to show that growth when there’s very little support around you.