NY Jets: Travis Etienne says he would ‘fit perfectly’ with Gang Green

42 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I did not think about them. I stand corrected. Just a few in history were able to do it without an awesome line.

Wasn't trying to correct you, as you were accurate about Sanders overall. Although Detroit was a better team than many realize for a part of Sanders' career there. The Emmit Smith point is a good one. He had the luxury of one of the best offensive lines ever and a team with other great offensive weapons at its disposal. Jim Brown ran behind a good line in Cleveland, but he tended to run the same sweep over and over. It was entirely predictable, but nobody could stop him anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Jets aren't taking a RB high and it wouldn't shock me if they didn't take one at all. The position is devalued for good reason. The athletes that play RB are not exceptional in any way, and replacements can always be found on the scrap heap. Especially in the system the Jets will be running this year. When we hired Saleh, there was a lot of speculation about what 49ers they might want to sign to the Jets. There haven't been many, but they did pick up Tevin Coleman, suggesting that the coaching staff is on board with that move. Jets have a decent stable of young backs to work with along side him. What they need is upgrades on the OL and probably TE. 

You don't burn high picks on RB when the system you're running regularly makes stars out of UDFAs. That high pick should instead be bringing in a rarer athlete, Parcells' "planet guys," the 300 pounders with nimble feet, the 260 pound dudes to can get to the passer in under two seconds, the 6'4" WR who runs a legit 4.4. 

• Upvote 2

jets rbs and tight ends are total trash-they both need to be addressed in the draft

I cant believe folks are arguing for a corner-do you want wilson to fail like sam? how did building the team through drafting corners work last time we did it-the "genius plan" of maye and adams.... -it set us back years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If you can get the best RB in the draft with your 3rd pick and it's gonna help your young QB you just drafted you do it......people are going overboard with you cant take a RB high stuff.    People would rather take a slot corner or a rusher who has a 75 percent chance of busting. lol

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I think he would also. God forgive me on agreeing with Joewilly?

I agree as well. A lot of Trevor's success can be directly attributable to Travis's ability to create YAC. If you look at the stats Trevor gained a lot of his yards off dump offs that gained a lot of yardage. That is why I think there should be a buyer beware sign all over Trevor and his immortal status. Once the experts (Kiper, etc) crown a QB a can't miss candidate they are extremely reluctant to change their mind. That's why Phil Simms's evaluation that Zach is the real number one QB holds more weight in my eyes since he did his evaluation without previously crowning anyone the King.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets aren't taking a RB high and it wouldn't shock me if they didn't take one at all. The position is devalued for good reason. The athletes that play RB are not exceptional in any way, and replacements can always be found on the scrap heap. Especially in the system the Jets will be running this year. When we hired Saleh, there was a lot of speculation about what 49ers they might want to sign to the Jets. There haven't been many, but they did pick up Tevin Coleman, suggesting that the coaching staff is on board with that move. Jets have a decent stable of young backs to work with along side him. What they need is upgrades on the OL and probably TE. 

You don't burn high picks on RB when the system you're running regularly makes stars out of UDFAs. That high pick should instead be bringing in a rarer athlete, Parcells' "planet guys," the 300 pounders with nimble feet, the 260 pound dudes to can get to the passer in under two seconds, the 6'4" WR who runs a legit 4.4. 

I don’t disagree with that we can’t make a udfa work but... Derrick Henry, Kamara, Barkley, McCaffrey, etc are beyond exceptional athletes 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

I don’t disagree with that we can’t make a udfa work but... Derrick Henry, Kamara, Barkley, McCaffrey, etc are beyond exceptional athletes 

Not when you compare them to elite LTs, Edge's, prototypical WRs, etc. Each and every one of those RBs is far more replaceable than the planet dudes. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Not when you compare them to elite LTs, Edge's, prototypical WRs, etc. Each and every one of those RBs is far more replaceable than the planet dudes. 

Disagree. Guys like Henry and Barkley have  maybe the most rare size/speed combos in the game. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

I agree as well. A lot of Trevor's success can be directly attributable to Travis's ability to create YAC. If you look at the stats Trevor gained a lot of his yards off dump offs that gained a lot of yardage. That is why I think there should be a buyer beware sign all over Trevor and his immortal status. Once the experts (Kiper, etc) crown a QB a can't miss candidate they are extremely reluctant to change their mind. That's why Phil Simms's evaluation that Zach is the real number one QB holds more weight in my eyes since he did his evaluation without previously crowning anyone the King.

I think you mean Chris Simms, but yeah. He wasn't very good as a QB himself and I used to make fun of him thinking he got a job cause nepotism. Truth be told though he's the only decent thing about Mike Florios garbage operation over ar PFT. The guy has a better track record than anyone in media evaluating QB prospects and he's never had a problem going against the grain when everyone else just nods in agreement. 

31 minutes ago, slats said:

Ok but what planet dudes are there at 34? I'm hoping we go OL at 23 and I'm not against doubling up. EDGE guys have a lot of question Mark's high. Only the LSU receiver really fits prototypical size and I'm not against him either but also redundant skill set with Mims and Davis. So I just dont see exactly who we are missing out on. 

I'm usually not a fan of RB high as a rule, but I'm leaning back to Etienne at 34. We dont have a TE as a safety blanket and this draft really isn't deep at TE. I dont love the value of Freiermuth at 34 (maybe trade down?). I think Etienne could be that safety valve for Wislon and I think that's worth an investment in his development. 

If JD went CB or EDGE I'm not going to cry about it. If JD focused on other areas on O I'll be more than happy. If he took a rb at 34 I'd see the value in it even if it's not a premium position.

I think this thread is an indirect example of the general feeling on the Board of the Jets and this Draft:

• The Jets have alot of holes.
  • The Jets need RB, WR, TE, LB, IOL and CB.
  • The Jets have more spots needing upgrading than there are premium draft picks. 
  • The general view is that the positions needing upgrading could get quality filled after 32.  

So, if JD traded down from 23 and/or 32 and loaded up on picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, I can see that making a bigger difference for 2021 than staying at 23 and drafting Greg Newsome.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I wouldn't be against it if we trade back from #34 towards the 40's to take him AND if the Jets already hit OLine at #23.  I just don't think JD touches a RB before Day 3.  Would much rather a WR though for the first offensive skill position the Jets hit in the Draft.

QB, OL, WR, Edge, OL wouldn't be a bad first 3 rounds to me.

Noway be lasts that long. He will be gone early 2nd the latest. 

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I wouldn't be against it if we trade back from #34 towards the 40's to take him AND if the Jets already hit OLine at #23.  I just don't think JD touches a RB before Day 3.  Would much rather a WR though for the first offensive skill position the Jets hit in the Draft.

QB, OL, WR, Edge, OL wouldn't be a bad first 3 rounds to me.

I don't think we can afford to pass on a corner in the first 3 rounds.  If Farley falls to 23, I think they pounce him.   If not, I could see a Patrick Sertain Jr. especially if he last to round 3 or a Greg Newsome at 34.  As far as receiver goes, I am all in on Dwayne Eskridge from Western MI maybe with our second 3rd round pick (not sure if he lasts to the 4th).  A true all purpose threat from anywhere on the field with great explosiveness and speed.  A bigger version of Rondale Moore.   If this guy went to Clemson or Ohio State, he would be much higher pick.   OL at either 23 or 34, another in either the 3 or 4th rounds.  I think a trade back might be a good idea to add extra picks as long as it isn't too far back.  

7 hours ago, kmnj said:

jets rbs and tight ends are total trash-they both need to be addressed in the draft

I cant believe folks are arguing for a corner-do you want wilson to fail like sam? how did building the team through drafting corners work last time we did it-the "genius plan" of maye and adams.... -it set us back years.

Problem is our OL and secondary are also trash 

10 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Can't see us wasting a high pick on a RB, especially when they thrive in this system. This draft needs to be about OL, more OL, sprinkled in with WR, CB and EDGE.

I would be shocked if JD takes a wr before the 4th rd. We just spent over 18 million annually on 2 wrs, are paying Crowder 10 million, and we need Mims to develop. We are actually in good shape there. As someone noted, we are going to be a very run heavy team next yr, a rb, and/or all around tight end is a better fit...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I would be shocked if JD takes a wr before the 4th rd. We just spent over 18 million annually on 2 wrs, are paying Crowder 10 million, and we need Mims to develop. We are actually in good shape there. As someone noted, we are going to be a very run heavy team next yr, a rb, and/or all around tight end is a better fit...

I sure hope not. Crowder is going into the final year of his contract and Cole signed a 1 year deal. The Jets need to draft a good prospect at WR to start filling the pipeline for 2022 and beyond.

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't think we can afford to pass on a corner in the first 3 rounds.  If Farley falls to 23, I think they pounce him.   If not, I could see a Patrick Sertain Jr. especially if he last to round 3 or a Greg Newsome at 34.  As far as receiver goes, I am all in on Dwayne Eskridge from Western MI maybe with our second 3rd round pick (not sure if he lasts to the 4th).  A true all purpose threat from anywhere on the field with great explosiveness and speed.  A bigger version of Rondale Moore.   If this guy went to Clemson or Ohio State, he would be much higher pick.   OL at either 23 or 34, another in either the 3 or 4th rounds.  I think a trade back might be a good idea to add extra picks as long as it isn't too far back.  

I think you mean Asante Samuel Jr.  There's no way Patrick Surtain gets past Round 1.  But I understand your point that CB should be an early focus.  I was there too until some recent reading, thinking and discussions on this board are starting to change my mind a bit.

Saleh's system doesn't need a bunch of elite man-cover CBs.  We don't need a Revis type to make it work.  Saleh plays a lot of zone coverage, Cover 3 type scheme.  You can get away with average CBs in that scheme but what you do need is pressure on the QB, pass rushers, etc. Saleh wants guys who disrupt and hurry the QB into making off-target throws that zone coverage CBs can pounce on.  From that standpoint and given that this Draft has a lot of B and C+ caliber CBs in the 3rd - 6th rounds, I think that's where the Jets might go CB hunting.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I sure hope not. Crowder is going into the final year of his contract and Cole signed a 1 year deal. The Jets need to draft a good prospect at WR to start filling the pipeline for 2022 and beyond.

Thats what next years draft it for.  We have 2 #1s and wont be picking a QB

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think you mean Asante Samuel Jr.  There's no way Patrick Surtain gets past Round 1.  But I understand your point that CB should be an early focus.  I was there too until some recent reading, thinking and discussions on this board are starting to change my mind a bit.

Saleh's systems doesn't need a bunch of elite man-cover CBs.  We don't need a Revis type to make it work.  Saleh plays a lot of zone coverage, Cover 3 type scheme.  You can get away with average CBs in that scheme but what do you need is pressure on the QB, pass rushers, etc. Saleh wants guys who disrupt and hurry the QB into making off-target throws that zone coverage CBs can pounce on.  From that standpoint and given that this Draft has a lot of B and C+ caliber CBs in the 3rd - 6th rounds, I think that's where the Jets might go CB hunting.

Yes, thanks for the correction. You make solid points; it will be interesting to see which why they decide to go.   Based on your thinking I could see a Rousseau or similar caliber Edge taken at 23, if there.   Still if one of the top cornerbacks drop, it will be very tempting for JD to take him.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The benefits of having a great GM.  Joe D will make the right decision on this.

Hold Up GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

Hold up a minute bruh! I like what he’s done with Jamaal and Sam (although he would have gotten more pulling trigger earlier) but as far as drafting, the jury is still out. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats what next years draft it for.  We have 2 #1s and wont be picking a QB

Wide receivers typically need a year to truly develop.

Personally, I want to see heavy investment into OL and WR in this draft. It will be a big disservice to the rookie quarterback to go into next year with only Davis and Mims under contract and looking at a major turnover at the position yet again.

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Its not a priority position this yr, you can always sign or draft one next yr...too many other holes this yr, ol, cb, te...