What if the Jets actually do win at home against the Pats on Sunday?

Nixhead

And look good doing it! It would be the biggest Jets win in maybe 6 years. All social media and sports media will be talking about this Jets team. Green Bean will be saying " I told you so". I will be on cloud 9 - for a week anyway. Maybe the Jets won't be such a laughing stock going forward. Maybe there would even be overblown playoff talk. A win Sunday wouldn't be enough for me to get a Jets tattoo - need a Super Bowl win for a tattoo but it would be a start. I really hope we have a Jets win to deal with come 4 O'clock Sunday afternoon!

I would just love nothing more than for the Jets to beat the Patriots, Zach Wilson to have a big day, and Mac Jones to struggle.

Unfortunately, we all know that Zach Wilson will be running for his life, the Jets will struggle, Mac Jones will have all day to throw the football, and the Patriots will win this one fairly easily. 

Hopefully I am wrong and the Jets win with Zach Wilson leading the way. Could be a nice signature win for Saleh early in his head coaching career. But I doubt it. 

• Upvote 2

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

This all sounds….ugh bad 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

And look good doing it! It would be the biggest Jets win in maybe 6 years. All social media and sports media will be talking about this Jets team. Green Bean will be saying " I told you so". I will be on cloud 9 - for a week anyway. Maybe the Jets won't be such a laughing stock going forward. Maybe there would even be overblown playoff talk. A win Sunday wouldn't be enough for me to get a Jets tattoo - need a Super Bowl win for a tattoo but it would be a start. I really hope we have a Jets win to deal with come 4 O'clock Sunday afternoon!

Be patient your day will come young grasshopper. :')

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Yikes 

?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I’d be surprised if an NFL coaching staff were mote reactionary than the dumbest JN poster

I probably did not adequately articulate what I heard (second hand in first place).  My guess is they think he's more of a project than when they initially drafted him.  Like the talk about OROY might have been premature is all...  

Didn’t read through everything so maybe it was already mentioned, but in this hypothetical situation, the sports media wouldn’t be talking about this Jets team. It would be about the pats, and how bad they have gotten since tom Brady left. The talk would be about how they can’t even beat the Jets now. Was belicheck a good coach or did tom Brady make him who he was? There would be no credit for this team, it would be more about the pats losing than the Jets winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

36 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Yeah must of been Mr. Glass Half Empty Rich Cimini who gave you this analogy.  You better believe that the coaching staff has put in a plan for the Jets to go win this game.  I don't believe all of this malarkey. The players are going out and playing their hearts out tomorrow. Oh'  but we can't win boys because all of our offense hasn't been installed yet. B.S. Football is football and these kids been playing their whole lives. Go win a friggin game!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

Yeah, it would be amazing. But it's close to a physical impossibility, I'm pretty sure. Psychological impossibility, too. Unless you can remember a rookie QB who beat Belichick the first time he ever faced him?

Mac Jones looked great, and Pats have way more weapons on O and D to beat us badly. They would have to play like garbage, and commit a bunch of penalties and turnovers to lose to the Jets. I think we all know that just won't happen.

We have no O-line, no running game, no TEs, no pass rush and a patchwork LB core/secondary. I see it as an unwinnable game, but maybe it's a low-scoring slop fest that we steal on a late field goal?

My guess is 

Patriots 27

Jets 17