Patriots Releasing Stephon Gilmore(Traded to Panthers)

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yes he is. Why? The best ability is availability. Becton will never last a full season unless he drastically changes his body. 

Again.. Fant is not making Becton irrelevant. If it wasn't Fant, it would have been Moses. The argument about Becton staying healthy is a separate issue. Corey Davis is better than Mims. Fant is not better than Becton. 

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Again.. Fant is not making Becton irrelevant. If it wasn't Fant, it would have been Moses. The argument about Becton staying healthy is a separate issue. Corey Davis is better than Mims. Fant is not better than Becton. 

He is right now until BecTON gets that body right for a 17 game season.

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

He is right now until BecTON gets that body right for a 17 game season.

This is a silly argument. Becton is better than Fant. You don't somehow become better at football than another player because you're playing and they are hurt. Do you want to argue than Fant is more valuable at the moment because he is playing? I wouldn't argue against that.

• Upvote 3

We don't know the inside story on this. It was surprising a few years ago when NEP gave him that contract not something they ordinarily do overpay a player. Even a very good player. So probably their evaluation of him has dropped they don't think he's currently worth that money not sure if they were trying to get him to agree to a pay cut and he wouldn't. What I read was that Gilmore is unhappy with his contract not sure exactly what that means. Anyways the Patriots way still in tact.

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is a silly argument. Becton is better than Fant. You don't somehow become better at football than another player because you're playing and they are hurt. Do you want to argue than Fant is more valuable at the moment because he is playing? I wouldn't argue against that.

Becton is better in my opinion and has more potential but the best ability is availability. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Pats spent a lot during in the free agent frenzy period last March. Is that what rebuilding teams do?

Exactly. Hunter Henry, Johnnu Smith, Nelson Agholor a 69 year old Head Coach. Not exactly what a rebuild looks like. 

The only thing "rebuilding" about this team is the fact that they drafted a rookie QB in the first round. 

• Upvote 3

Bill Belichick is pretty damned smart figuring out when a player is no longer a good cost vs reward proposition.  Other than Brady that is.  Either damaged goods or wants too much money or skills declining or simply that he has someone else who is almost as good or better for much less money.  He pretty much always seems to get this stuff right.

Much of the league has made missteps assuming they can root for (and find) treasure in the Patriots discard pile.

Pass

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Fant is looking better at LT than Becton did in camp/preseason. So yes, Fant is currently playing better than Becton did this year before he got injured.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yet a couple of JD's free agent signings, George Fant and Corey Davis, are making the first two picks of the Jets 2020 draft irrelevant. Remember when the Jets were being mentioned as a landing spot for Richard Sherman? I never was on board with that. Getting Gilmore and you don't have to give anything up for him makes it enticing for  even JD. Culture changes with great players, not great slogans.

who you wanna sit for Gilmore? Echo? he been playing real well. MC2?,,,even Dunn came in on Sunday and played well. there is just no room there.

Fant moved to RT so he was a good signing especially now. and not one person here was unhappy with the signings of Davis and Cole and keeping Crowder. giving our rookie QB good veteran WRs. now everyone is shocked that Mims cant get on the field. 

i got news for everyone, Moore isnt going to play much either with Crowder back. Moore and Mims will play next year.

19 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Bill Belichick is pretty damned smart figuring out when a player is no longer a good cost vs reward proposition.  Other than Brady that is.  Either damaged goods or wants too much money or skills declining or simply that he has someone else who is almost as good or better for much less money.  He pretty much always seems to get this stuff right.

Much of the league has made missteps assuming they can root for (and find) treasure in the Patriots discard pile.

Pass

thats true.

what is Bills favorite saying?

get rid of them a year too early than a year too late

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

who you wanna sit for Gilmore? Echo? he been playing real well. MC2?,,,even Dunn came in on Sunday and played well. there is just no room there.

Fant moved to RT so he was a good signing especially now. and not one person here was unhappy with the signings of Davis and Cole and keeping Crowder. giving our rookie QB good veteran WRs. now everyone is shocked that Mims cant get on the field. 

i got news for everyone, Moore isnt going to play much either with Crowder back. Moore and Mims will play next year.

Mims will be lucky to be on the team

25 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Hunter Henry, Johnnu Smith, Nelson Agholor a 69 year old Head Coach. Not exactly what a rebuild looks like. 

The only thing "rebuilding" about this team is the fact that they drafted a rookie QB in the first round. 

your right.

hes 69 and 48 wins away from being the all time winningest coach in NFL history. he is not rebuilding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yet a couple of JD's free agent signings, George Fant and Corey Davis, are making the first two picks of the Jets 2020 draft irrelevant. Remember when the Jets were being mentioned as a landing spot for Richard Sherman? I never was on board with that. Getting Gilmore and you don't have to give anything up for him makes it enticing for  even JD. Culture changes with great players, not great slogans.

I really don't  get this at all. George Fant is not replacing  Becton this year or next year. When Becton returns he is going to play LT and Fant most likely goes back to RT or RG. Mims is starting to look lime a disaster but Davis so far has had one good game in 4. Hopefully  he builds on it but I don't  believe suddenly he has developed hands of Jerry Rice. Will see about him. Regardless, if you think Douglas is going to sign Gilmore,  more power to you.

2 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Mims will be lucky to be on the team

makes no sense to get rid of him with Crowder and Cole likely gone next year. we got him on a rookie contract till 2023. hey someone has to be a backup unless with want the Smiths or Cager to do it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, viffer said:

Fant is looking better at LT than Becton did in camp/preseason. So yes, Fant is currently playing better than Becton did this year before he got injured.

This is not even an argument. Becton is a better tackle than Fant, and I can't take anyone seriously if they are trying to argue this fact. 

• Upvote 1

Who Can Afford Stephon Gilmore?

Posted on October 6, 2021 by Jason Fitzgerald

I started to get a number of cap questions about who can and can not afford Stephon Gilmore once he hits free agency so I thought I would put a quick post together outlining the way a contract would work. Not it is important to not that it is exceedingly rare for a player who is a free agent to sign a big contract in October but this may prove to be a unique situation. According to Josina Anderson, Gilmore is looking for $15M/year so we can work off that number to get an idea of who can and can not afford him.

Assuming that Gilmore would not sign this week, a $15 million salary would prorate out to between $10 million and $10.83 million for the balance of the year. Obviously few teams have that kind of cap space, but most teams would simply utilize four dummy years in the contract, which would allow them to count the majority of the salary on the cap in 2022 rather than 2021.

If he signed next week the team would be required to pay him for 13 weeks of the season. To make it a clean cap number a team would pay a base salary of $1.15386M, which would prorate out to $833,333, along with a $10 million signing bonus. Of that $10 million, just $2 million would count in 2021 and $8 million would be pushed to 2022 if the contract voids before an extension is signed. That would bring the all in charge for 2021 to $2.83 million.

If he waits an additional week the team would be on the hook for 12 weeks of the salary. Here you would pay a base rate of $1.2 million along with a $9.2 million signing bonus. That would be a cap charge of $2.64 million with $7.36 million being pushed to 2022.

In both scenarios the net cap impact would be a little lower (between $440 and $470K at the least) since he would be replacing someone on the roster. There are other ways to bring the cap charges lower depending on how much incentivized salary Gilmore would be willing to take, but this would be about the bare minimum on a straight contract.

So who can afford the number? Pretty much everyone. The Jaguars, Panthers, Eagles, Broncos, and Football Team could pretty much do a straight contract without void years if they wanted. The Bengals, Chargers, Seahawks, Steelers, Browns, and Texans could probably lessen the amount of void money. The Packers, Titans, Jets, Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers, Bills, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers, and Chiefs would have to be closer to what I have here as the way to do the contract.

The Saints, Falcons, Bears, Cardinals, Rams, Rams, Dolphins, Colts, and Giants would be the teams that probably could not afford him on the cap within their current roster construct. They would either need to be more creative or manipulate the cap figures of other players to sign him. Most would have the ability to do that though the Saints would be hard pressed since almost everyone is at a minimum salary but there are a few buttons they could push to do it.

Jason Fitzgerald

Jason is the founder of OTC and has been studying NFL contracts and the salary cap for over 15 years. Jason has co-authored two books about the NFL, Crunching Numbers and the Drafting Stage, which are widely circulated in the industry and hosts the OTC Podcast. Jason’s work has been featured in various publications including the Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, NFL Network and more. OTC is widely considered the leading authority on contract matters in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Gilmore is not for us.  For him to even consider the Jets Douglas
would have to be talking about a "Revis type" contract.  And at
our stage of development I don't want to invest 4 years, 70 million
and 35 guaranteed in an over 30 year old CB.  On top of that I want
to see the continued development of Hall, Carter, Echols & Guidry.
There would be nothing better for the construction of the roster than
having 4 CB's on cheap rookie contracts 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

I can't wait for half the board to criticize JD for not being able to sign Gilmore. He's 31 years old, he's going to sign with a contender.

Seriously.

Why would he sign here, and why would we sign him?   I mean, he could put the Jets over the top to become a 6 win team instead of a 5 win team, and who doesn't want to build long term with a 31 year old corner?

And for him, "Well, I could go try to win a ring on the Bucs, who have no corners.  Or, I could go to the Jets, cause they are going somewhere this year."

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't make sense to spend a small fortune on a vet CB with maybe a few years in him when we have a group of CBs almost everybody thought would be terrible playing pretty well and need to keep seeing the field to continue to improve. If the Jets were a couple players off a SB run sure--he's going to mercenary around the league on one or two year deals until nobody will pay his asking price. 

• Upvote 1