Not Giving up on Wilson But Fields Looks Pretty Good...

JetBlue

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I really wanted Fields.  However, I don't know what Zach is really capable of because our CS doesn't utilize talent.  They coach to what their mold calls for.  I was excited when we got Saleh, but not anymore.  He is Gase with less hair.

There’s no secret, not utilized talent that Wilson has.  He needs to get better at the bread and butter.  As of now, he’s way off. 

• Upvote 2

Jones and Lawrence have clearly been the best of the first round rookies. 

The other three all look extremely raw, with Wilson probably looking the worst of the lot. 

Fields has been making some awful decisions and looks horrible when pressured. He threw what would have been one of the worst picks I’ve seen only it was bizarrely not called by the refs. He has potential but it’s not like he’s out here Justin Herberting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Facts said:

Mac looks better than both of them ?

Mac is in the perfect system for him. I have a huge PATs fan at work and I told him, before the draft, that Mac was made for the PATs. He would have failed here miserably. The Pats have a system and a very well established coach, the JETs are a science experiment. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Fields made some typical rookie mistakes today but you can see the potential Fields has.  From a physical stand point he has it all; strong arm, great size, blazing speed.   Plus a coaching staff that seems to have designed their offense to make it easier for him to get acclimated to the NFL, unlike our CS.    Still don't understand why he lasted so long in the draft but the I think the Bears have their franchise quarterback.   Once he gets the mental part down he is going to be a real problem. 

I have not given up on Zach, nor do wish we had taken Fields over him although I would have been fine if he were the pick.  The more I watch these young quarterbacks like Fields, Lance, Lawerence, etc.  The more I place the blame on the ineptitude of our coaching staff, then on Wilson, both on play design and who they are playing at the skill position.  If we don't see more sets that include BOTH Mims and Moore, along with Carter out of the backfield then I personally believe no matter who we drafted at quarterback, they would struggle with this clueless staff.  

The Bears offense has been an absolute train wreck this season and Fields has looked absolutely awful.  Are you watching the games? Nagy may not last the season.  And the Bears have a much better roster.  Fields and the Bears have just marginalized Alan Robinson who is one of the best receivers in the NFL and until this season appeared QB proof.  

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Like Zach, you can see the potential but neither QB is playing well. Mac Jones is the only QB playing close to his potential. Zach and Fields have higher ceilings the Mac Jones but both are playing bad right now.

That’s the thing. Mac Jones is peaking and Wilson is a his floor yet macaroni has 1 more TD and 100 more yards with an extra game under his belt. 

• Upvote 1

I wanted Fields Trey Lance and then Zach Wilson….

But I am not going to be one of the told you so folks except to those who said that Fields was no good and that his stats and toughness and ability to throw to all areas of the field was meaningless!

Fields maybe the best QB in the entire draft and that includes Lawrence. The idea that Fields fooled everyone with great wins and great stats is preposterous and at the end of the day it is way to early to say anything at all. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jones and Lawrence have clearly been the best of the first round rookies. 

The other three all look extremely raw, with Wilson probably looking the worst of the lot. 

Fields has been making some awful decisions and looks horrible when pressured. He threw what would have been one of the worst picks I’ve seen only it was bizarrely not called by the refs. He has potential but it’s not like he’s out here Justin Herberting. 

I haven't watched a ton of Fields or Lance but when I did, it looked like the training wheels were on.  

Mac is what he was advertised to be - a game manager.  Lawrence has looked up and down, but you can see why people like him. 

It's five games in.  They all show flashes of what they can be and what could hold them back. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Did you see the game?

Yes.  The entire game.  Lawrence did not throw a game-winning TD pass. He threw a TD pass to Marvin Jones in the 3rd quarter that was a well thrown ball, but Jones made a great catch.  I've seen many TD passes like that one every week.  It was not a once in a lifetime throw as stated in your post.  And it did not win the game.  It gave the Jaguars a 17-13 lead in the 3rd quarter.