Kyle Hamilton - can a reasonable case be made?

slimjasi

Would you consider Kyle Hamilton with our second first round draft pick?   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider Kyle Hamilton with our second first round draft pick?

• Yes - ballhawk safeties are good
    • No
    • No - you are a bad fan and you should feel bad.
    • Maybe

Ok, so we all (hopefully) understand that we desperately need an edge rusher with one of our two first round picks. Time to reopen the sack exchange. That's a given. 

The question is - what do we do with the other first round pick? Now, you could always take a stud offensive lineman. You could always take another weapon for Wilson. Those are also pretty standard answers that most of us could get behind. You could also take a stud LB who does a little bit of everything. We have all kinds of holes. 

But what about . . . safety? Now, before you ask me for my address so you can throw a bomb through my window, let me just leave this here:

Obviously, we are all scarred from taking Adams over Mahomes/Watson. But, unlike Adams, this guy is not allergic to interceptions and is something of a ball hawk. Seems like an awesome player. Would you consider taking him with our second first round pick? Normally, I am a firm believer in only using top 10 picks on premium positions, but I admit that I am intrigued by this guy. I also like the idea of aiming for an elite prospect at every level of the defense (DL, LB, secondary) and our secondary desperately needs an impact player.  It's probably still a bad idea, but I don't know, I just have a feeling about this player. 

What say you?

• Upvote 1

don’t know the player but my sense is saleh’s defense is predicated on dl and dl only - not that they don’t want other talent on the defense but top defensive draft choices will be reserved for dl - also what makes this hard to project is that we have a lot of money tied up in lawson and jfm plus q will be up for new contract - i’m thinking monster lb who can do it all ( if such a player is available) with one of our top picks and maybe the other 3 picks go for offense again - then in rounds 3-7 we circle back on defense - gonna be interesting that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

don’t know the player but my sense is saleh’s defense is predicated on dl and dl only - not that they don’t want other talent on the defense but top defensive draft choices will be reserved for dl - also what makes this hard to project is that we have a lot of money tied up in lawson and jfm plus q will be up for new contract - i’m thinking monster lb who can do it all ( if such a player is available) with one of our top picks and maybe the other 3 picks go for offense again - then in rounds 3-7 we circle back on defense - gonna be interesting that’s for sure

I’m starting to get a little scared regarding the future of our secondary. As you said, Saleh has stated time and time again that our DL is what’s important, not our DBs, and with all the young players they’ve thrown in the secondary, I’m afraid Saleh will be too stubborn to let JD invest high picks and FAs there.  I hope I’m wrong but drafting a young ball hawk safety may put me at ease a bit.

Just now, Peace Frog said:

I mean, you gotta love the guym, incredible player but I cannot take a safety over almost any other position with any first round pick.  

I think the only chance is if the Jets think this guy is a legit ball hawk at the next level.

But I get it and I doubt the Jets would ever do it, tbh

24 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

I tend to agree.  It shouldn't be this hard to cover a screen pass or a TE at the pro level...

I imagine a world where they potentially trade up for the Edge, but then trade back with the second first for a package that includes a 2023 first. 

I just don’t see JD taking a safety, of all positions, that high. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

Very much on board with this.  If we could pick up a Fred Warner "QB of the defense" all around LB this draft it would go a long way.  They got him in the 3rd in San Fran which is just jaw dropping.  As much as I like CJ I don't think he fits the defensive style as much as we would like.  I'm thinking he may be traded this offseason or early next year.

• Upvote 2

Yes

The dude is a 6’4 220 ballhawk who can even play some in the slot and match up 1 on 1 with receivers.

Maye is as good as gone

Who the hell do we have at safety next year? Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley?

I wouldn’t even be against using our first 3 picks in a row on defense.

I’d sign up for something like Karlaftis, Hamilton and Brandon Smith right now. Then take the best available OG/C with the Carolina 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 3

Depends on the ultimate draft slot and his health check.  Use a top 8 pick on him I would not be in favor but around 12-15 I would not be that upset.  He is a very good player with skills that adapt to todays NFL.  The Jets need all the blue chip players they can get.

What scares me most about Hamilton is that he has all those off field intangibles that JD craves...smarts, team captain, all american boy, etc. etc.  Makes me think our chances of taking him with a top 5 pick are pretty damn high.

We need to get the best edge rusher we can in the top 5 and then trade back with pick 1b to get another 1st in 2023 and fill the many many roster holes we have.  (But not at SAFETY in the top 5!!!!)

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes

The dude is a 6’4 220 ballhawk who can even play some in the slot and match up 1 on 1 with receivers.

Maye is as good as gone

Who the hell do we have at safety next year? Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley?

I wouldn’t even be against using our first 3 picks in a row on defense.

I’d sign up for something like Karlaftis, Hamilton and Brandon Smith right now. Then take the best available OG/C with the Carolina 2nd rounder.

The Seattle defense Saleh is trying to emulate featured 2 elite safeties, so adding Hamilton could make sense. I haven't watched him play much, but you want to get someone with a high floor in the top 10 and Hamilton fits the bill I've been told. 

• Upvote 1

I clicked Maybe, which admittedly is a cop out but my answer is based on a situation where perhaps JD trades down with one of those 1st round picks and Hamilton drops.  I really don't want to use a premium pick on a Safety but there's a point where value jumps off the tape at you.  IF this guy somehow drops and JD has traded back to accumulate more picks then there's a point at which the combination of a premier defender intersects with an obvious need in the Secondary for the Jets.  Maye and Joyner are goners.  Davis is an average/below average starter and we've plugged in a street guy in Riley.  We should never again double-dip at Safety like the Jets did with Adams/Maye but Hamilton would be a solid infusion at that third level.... again, only in a situation where he drops into the Jets lap.

My preference is for an Edge Rusher and OLineman with our two 1st round picks.  In a dream world the Jets land one of Hutchinson, Kayvon or Karlaftis at the Edge and also grab a guy like Evan Neal or Tyler Linderbaum (perhaps by trading down a few spots).

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The Seattle defense Saleh is trying to emulate featured 2 elite safeties, so adding Hamilton could make sense. I haven't watched him play much, but you want to get someone with a high floor in the top 10 and Hamilton fits the bill I've been told. 

He’s probably one of the 2 or 3 best overall players in the draft.

I get that he doesn’t play a “premium” position, but like you said, in this specific defense, you could make the argument that quality safety play is the most important facet outside of getting pressure with your front 4.

I’d sure as hell take Hamilton over a constantly banged up corner like Stingley who is still living off his freshman season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, so we all (hopefully) understand that we desperately need an edge rusher with one of our two first round picks. Time to reopen the sack exchange. That's a given. 

The question is - what do we do with the other first round pick? Now, you could always take a stud offensive lineman. You could always take another weapon for Wilson. Those are also pretty standard answers that most of us could get behind. You could also take a stud LB who does a little bit of everything. We have all kinds of holes. 

But what about . . . safety? Now, before you ask me for my address so you can throw a bomb through my window, let me just leave this here:

Obviously, we are all scarred from taking Adams over Mahomes/Watson. But, unlike Adams, this guy is not allergic to interceptions and is something of a ball hawk. Seems like an awesome player. Would you consider taking him with our second first round pick? Normally, I am a firm believer in only using top 10 picks on premium positions, but I admit that I am intrigued by this guy. I also like the idea of aiming for an elite prospect at every level of the defense (DL, LB, secondary) and our secondary desperately needs an impact player.  It's probably still a bad idea, but I don't know, I just have a feeling about this player. 

What say you?

Many of the best safeties in the league are from later rounds. That high a pick is a bad investment with a non premium position. We of all fan bases have seen this. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

To be fair, we did hear the same song and dance about Adams. 

The thing about Adams though is that he never demonstrated great ball skills. 

That’s the big difference

Even at LSU Adams didn’t generate many turnovers. People raved about him because he was a big hitter and supposedly was one of those guys with the leadership qualities to be a culture changer in the locker room.

Hamilton is a physical freak who DOES generate turnovers and possesses every intangible quality that you could possibly want.

He wouldn’t really be my preference. I’d still take the best available EDGE like Karlaftis and maybe even a dude like Neal to add to the OL.

But I certainly wouldn’t be upset if Hamilton is wearing green 5 months from now. Odds are he’d be a legit cornerstone piece on the defense for the next decade.

• Upvote 1