Speculation: Seahawks May Consider Trading D.K. Metcalf

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why hasn't this franchise had a WR1, or even a high level WR2, since Laveranues Coles?

I mean it's a pretty easy position to fill relative to other skill positions but we are the Jets so we draft Stephen Hill, Denzel Mims, and Devin Smith.  Look at the list of free agents this year there's plenty of guys to sign that would be major upgrades Robinson, Godwin, JuJu, Williams etc, kick the tires on Ridley, I don't think there's any top 10 receivers but there's a few guys I like in the 2nd.  Point is there's really no reason to give up 1st round picks for a headcase. 

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

I mean it's a pretty easy position to fill relative to other skill positions but we are the Jets so we draft Stephen Hill, Denzel Mims, and Devin Smith.  Look at the list of free agents this year there's plenty of guys to sign that would be major upgrades Robinson, Godwin, JuJu, Williams etc, kick the tires on Ridley, I don't think there's any top 10 receivers but there's a few guys I like in the 2nd.  Point is there's really no reason to give up 1st round picks for a headcase. 

Every year several big-name WR's are scheduled for free agency.  And every year that list dwindles thanks to the franchise tag and/or clever financial maneuvering by the teams in question to keep those players.  And even in the rare instances that a big-name WR shakes loose, he quickly signs on with a contending team, who somehow is able to afford to make him one of the top-paying WR's despite cap issues of their own.  

I'm not necessarily advocating giving up a 1st round pick for DK.  A top 10 pick is a very high price to pay.  But there undoubtedly would be a route to acquiring him or Ridley without giving up  a 1st, IF those guys are indeed on the trade block.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every year several big-name WR's are scheduled for free agency.  And every year that list dwindles thanks to the franchise tag and/or clever financial maneuvering by the teams in question to keep those players.  And even in the rare instances that a big-name WR shakes loose, he quickly signs on with a contending team, who somehow is able to afford to make him one of the top-paying WR's despite cap issues of their own.  

I'm not necessarily advocating giving up a 1st round pick for DK.  A top 10 pick is a very high price to pay.  But there undoubtedly would be a route to acquiring him or Ridley without giving up  a 1st, IF those guys are indeed on the trade block.

Hard to imagine any Jets fan not being interested in trading for Ridley or Metcalf

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah but I think the position can also be filled relatively easy with secondary type receivers if you cant land a Robinson or Godwin.  I would much rather draft a guy and sign a Watkins, Sanders, Hilton, Kirk, Wilson, Juju, Gallup...I'm just not in favor of the price I think it would cost to bring a headcase in here when there are so many other options.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Oh if we could but fleece SEA just one more time.  Metcalf is an absolute beast and would certainly solve WR #1 for us.

What I don't get is why would they trade him?  He's young, a star, and they have cap room if they need to extend him now.

Because like every other diva WR in the league, and the list is LONG, he is becoming a headache that will probably only increase when it comes time for a new contract.   That and they need draft capital to reload with since, well....JA.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So let me get this straight, this offseason we are trading for DK Metcalf and Calvin Ridley, signing Jimmy G and Scheriff to huge contracts  and taking a safety at 4 in the draft.

If this was jeopardy the answer would be: What is not one of these things are happening

It’s as legit as JD and Bobby Bouchée taking the team in the right direction 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

A 6’4 230 wideout with 4.3 speed who has averaged 1,000 yards and 10 TD’s a year through his first 3 seasons in the league vs a shot in the dark?

Where do you guys get this sh*t?

Metcalf is exactly what the doctor ordered for Zach and this offense.

You couldn’t build a higher upside X receiver in a lab if you tried. He’s the closest thing to Megatron since Megatron.

But the same people who are opposed to this move want to give up a high pick for Calvin f*cking Ridley who just walked out on his team?

Good lord

I dont think Metcalf is a bad wr but putting him in the same sentence as Calvin Johnson is an absolute joke. 

He also isn't even the best wr on the Seahawks. 

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So let me get this straight, this offseason we are trading for DK Metcalf and Calvin Ridley, signing Jimmy G and Scheriff to huge contracts  and taking a safety at 4 in the draft.

If this was jeopardy the answer would be: What is not one of these things are happening

You have no idea what’s going to happen. Bottom line is they have a million draft picks and a ton of cap space. So Douglas can literally get any player he wants via trade. Or if he wants to give money to Schreff he can do that too

2 hours ago, undertow said:

Yeah but I think the position can also be filled relatively easy with secondary type receivers if you cant land a Robinson or Godwin.  I would much rather draft a guy and sign a Watkins, Sanders, Hilton, Kirk, Wilson, Juju, Gallup...I'm just not in favor of the price I think it would cost to bring a headcase in here when there are so many other options.

That would be OK as a plan B.  In this system we need a bunch of good receivers, and a "true WR1" isn't necessary.  I'm frustrated that this team hasn't had a young WR1 in decades, but a quality WR2 to pair with Moore would work.  

That said, Chris Godwin would fit this system like a glove when he gets healthy.  I'd be perfectly happy signing him even with his current injury.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That would be OK as a plan B.  In this system we need a bunch of good receivers, and a "true WR1" isn't necessary.  I'm frustrated that this team hasn't had a young WR1 in decades, but a quality WR2 to pair with Moore would work.  

That said, Chris Godwin would fit this system like a glove when he gets healthy.  I'd be perfectly happy signing him even with his current injury.  

Hard for this injury plagued team to sign a guy coming off a big injury, but I get it. The jets also need some talented veterans on this team - the FA/trade scenario is appealing to me. And if we don’t resign Berrios, than signing AND drafting a WR with one of our first 4 picks is necessary and correct. 

I also want a duo. I want multiple legit receivers. walker/toon, Keyshawn/Chrebet, even Marshall/Decker.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, derp said:

I wonder if they just blow the whole thing up. That's not a franchise moving in the right direction.

If russ is moved, expect them to burn it all down.  Really interested to see what the Seahawks do this offseason because I think it can potentially effect the jets greatly.  DK in particular becomes an interesting piece for them to trade if they move Russ first,  The potential to rebuild would be there and Schnieder and JD have a good working relationship.  Get ready for an absolute bananas offseason I think. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why not just trade Russ and leave DK around to pair with their next QB, whoever it is?

Just guessing here, but possibly Metcalf approached the team and asked them to move him as well if they trade Wildon. Again, obviously have no inside scoop, just a reaction.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

but nowwww.... what if DK was packaged with picks in a trade up move for a top 10 selection?  Theres many ways this could go, and so far dominos are starting to be set up in a way that is very interesting. 

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree with this but unless his head is in the Antonio Brown stratosphere making him untouchable in my opinion. I would 100% give them back  their 10th. Now, this is without knowing if any drafted WO are at his level, but DO is exactly what we need to pair with Moore and Sexy BB. Use that 10th on highest rated TE. Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht be damned! 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Because like every other diva WR in the league, and the list is LONG, he is becoming a headache that will probably only increase when it comes time for a new contract.   That and they need draft capital to reload with since, well....JA.

Exactly. Of course the Jets would be a much better team with DK, but it's a little shocking that he only had 967 yards receiving this year. Sure Wilson missed a couple of games, but it was still in a 17 game season when the Seahawks needed to pass more often because they were losing more often. 

If it was only about paying him, sure, give him a big contract. But I am not really willing to give up a ton of draft capital to have to pay this guy in a couple of years. 

I rather sign Godwin

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

I dont think Metcalf is a bad wr but putting him in the same sentence as Calvin Johnson is an absolute joke. 

He also isn't even the best wr on the Seahawks. 

How is it a joke?

The dude is the size of a TE, built like a brick sh*thouse and is faster than most wideouts who are 5’9 180.

He’s a freak who has produced at a high level since stepping into the league and he just turned 24 last month.

That’s exactly the kind of player that you pursue aggressively and give up a high pick for. Especially when you’re trying to break in a young promising QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What’s funny is that when DK came out of college some us were saying he was worthy of a top 10 selection in the draft and were met with heavy resistance.   Now people want to trade away the 10th pick in the draft for him just 3 seasons later.   

Your thoughts on Justyn Ross? 

Just now, section314 said:

Your thoughts on Justyn Ross? 

He had a tough year.   Played most of the season with a stress fracture in his foot.  He was forced to play in the slot for half the season, (one of my biggest gripes about Tony Elliot), and had abysmal play at QB.   He wasn’t cleared to play until late in camp and I think the neck injury was always in the back of his mind.   Hopefully he’s past that.   I don’t see him going until day 3.   

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He had a tough year.   Played most of the season with a stress fracture in his foot.  He was forced to play in the slot for half the season, (one of my biggest gripes about Tony Elliot), and had abysmal play at QB.   He wasn’t cleared to play until late in camp and I think the neck injury was always in the back of his mind.   Hopefully he’s past that.   I don’t see him going until day 3.   

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can't say I've been following - what happened w/him that makes you say that? I don't know a lot about him other than he destroyed my fantasy team in the championship this year.

he's a ticking time bomb IMO.... he's started to show all the signs of a developing ego maniac...  bone headed plays on the field, getting into fights, arguing with HOF'ers on twitter. You don't trade away Metcalf unless there's long term concerns.

He's a freak with homerun ability, sure. But he's not the craftiest receiver, and his hands are average.

Pass.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal Adams arrives.  Seattle begins the garage sale just 2 years later.  @T0mShane  @Larz

How soon into the 2022 season do we get a "We need more dawgs" tweet?  Week 2?

I’ll be pissed if the Jets bail out Schneider by sending any picks back to them. Let Jamal rot by himself out in the Pacific Northwest with Drunkard Geno as his QB. 

• Post of the Week 1