Evan Neal and Derek Stingley skipping the Combine

Rhg1084

Right now I STILL have Neal, Hutch, Thib going top 3 and the Jets taking Ekwonu at 4. He's just the perfect JD guy and happens to play a position of need and fits the mantra of building out the lines.  

10 will be interesting. I think there's a good chance the Jets will get a trade offer from a team moving up for a QB. I think there's a good chance a guy like Hamilton or Sauce will be the pick. I think there's a good chance a guy like J.Johnson II shoots up draft boards (including JD's) and he is the selection at 10. I also think it might be Karl. or Ojabo if they test out well and the Jets feel like they will be a good fit. WR is unlikely IMO. As is Linderbaum.  

• Sympathy 1

It is fascinating to me how many draft publications continue to have the Jets taking Stingley at #4

Tankathon not only has us taking Stingley at #4 but also no edge in rounds 1 or 2. They have us taking a safety before addressing edge, T/G, and Wr. Stranger things have happened but I can not see this scenario

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

It is fascinating to me how many draft publications continue to have the Jets taking Stingley at #4

Tankathon not only has us taking Stingley at #4 but also no edge in rounds 1 or 2. They have us taking a safety before addressing edge, T/G, and Wr. Stranger things have happened but I can not see this scenario

My favorites are the ones who do that and then have the Giants dancing because Thibodeaux inexplicably falls to them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Right now I STILL have Neal, Hutch, Thib going top 3 and the Jets taking Ekwonu at 4. He's just the perfect JD guy and happens to play a position of need and fits the mantra of building out the lines.  

10 will be interesting. I think there's a good chance the Jets will get a trade offer from a team moving up for a QB. I think there's a good chance a guy like Hamilton or Sauce will be the pick. I think there's a good chance a guy like J.Johnson II shoots up draft boards (including JD's) and he is the selection at 10. I also think it might be Karl. or Ojabo if they test out well and the Jets feel like they will be a good fit. WR is unlikely IMO. As is Linderbaum.  

I still have that as a terrible plan in terms of what would most improve the overall team (agree to disagree and all that). From JD's standpoint:

• In Fant he has a LT he's responsible for bringing in. He'll just turn 30 in July so he's got plenty of years left and won't be a crazy bank-breaker (since he's not a truly elite LT + has just one above-average pass blocking season yet). 
  • In Becton he has a RT/LT he drafted just 2 seasons prior, who's already demonstrated the pro game isn't too big for him. he's locked in for (relatively) cheap for 2 more years, after which there's a 5th year option which will be still reasonable (like half the franchise tag) since he's not going to qualify for 75% snaps over his first 3 seasons.

Unless they've fully given up on Becton, and are trading him at/before the draft (since he has too much value to just stash as a backup), the Jets do not have a tackle need. Adding a 3rd tackle will not improve the team nearly as much as adding a 2nd starting edge rusher (particularly when the other edge rusher is himself coming off a missed season following a ruptured Achilles injury). 

If anyone thinks Ekwonu is such a no-brainer for the Jets - who already have two proven, starting LTs - then he's surely even more of a no-brainer for another team to want to trade up to get him. 

In terms of starters, the Jets just need a RG, and #4 is preposterously early for such a position; not to mention as a young player with eyes on future starting LT dollars, he'd be miserable if he was stuck there. Then they also need a quality backup RT, which is also not worth anywhere near the #4 pick. 

I do agree that DB has a much better chance of being the pick than many think. They're mega-expensive for top ones (CB especially) and the team needs at least 2 new ones. Far more expensive than guards, anyway. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That is a definite possible scenario. Not sure what we do if there is no trade down partner.

There's pretty much always a trade down partner. Like as things seem today, any of these could happen:

• Someone will want their preference of OT not the leftover(s);
  • Someone will want the player that surprisingly escaped the top 3 in general (if we're not so smitten ourselves);
  • Someone - e.g. Denver, WFT, NO, Pit - might not be willing to gamble on Pickett getting past the Giants (specifically because they have 2 picks) or the Panthers in between those Giants picks. The trade-up may not be just draft picks, but for a player or a combo of player/pick(s);
  • Another reason that hasn't yet presented itself.
  • Upvote 1