Deshaun Watson criminal charges dropped

Just now, oatmeal said:

I’m sure the woman who only went for criminal charges after the public questioning why were they seeking civil, are victims of this disgusting system and Watson. 

Orrrrrrrr because of the "he said she said" dynamic at play they went with the civil suit initially because there was a better chance to win. It's not easy to pursue criminal charges.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

From Twitter:

What information did the grand jury consider? Proceedings are secret but two people with direct knowledge say several of the complainants were in a waiting room & ready to provide testimony, but only one was called in front of the grand jury:

uhh link?

Because, if true. That's pretty f*cked, lol. Just imagine.

"So, this guy is accused of sexual misconduct on multiple accounts. So, what's the evidence?"

"Well, it's only the word of the women. Should we bring them in one by one to question them?"

"Nah, just one will do. They're basically all the same."

Like, come on. wtf

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Bro he propositioned girls with sex and flashed his junk. Creepy ? Yes I agree with that but him being a top level athlete his entire life, I understand how he could get carried away.

But regardless a police investigation was done for months in the state of Texas the town he burned… so idk I think if it was something there he would’ve been charged ?‍♂️

I am glad you’ve already decided to give him a pass. Hopefully you wont find yourself in a closed room with any of the womens brothers or fathers.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

If JD had any sense he offers Zach and pick 10 and a one next year for DeShaun Watson

He was out for a year and who knows his mental capacity hence there will be more proceedings. As tempting as it is, I don't see this staff entertaining the idea. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

uhh link?

Because, if true. That's pretty f*cked, lol. Just imagine.

"So, this guy is accused of sexual misconduct on multiple accounts. So, what's the evidence?"

"Well, it's only the word of the women. Should we bring them in one by one to question them?"

"Nah, just one will do. They're basically all the same."

Like, come on. wtf

• Upvote 1

Pretty clear he's guilty of something.  1 or 2 women conspiring to extort him is one thing but 20??  naww..

anyway, it's not like he's going to pick up where he left off.  he's going to constantly be jeered by opposing fans in addition to a portion of whichever fan base he winds up representing.  I wouldn't expect much in 2022.

Just send his ass to Carolina..  I don't want to have to hear about him constantly if he wound up with the Fins.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, jamesr said:

In situations like this there doesn't tend to be a lot of physical evidence - if any. It tends largely to be one person's word against another (or several people's words). Which makes a court case very difficult.

Unless you have video or audio recordings, how do you prove what someone said to you, or whether they acted improperly / indecently in front of you? And if you do have recordings it will potentially look like a set up, or at worst the recordings won't be admissible if they were made without consent / awareness.

As for the comments above about this proving Watson's innocence ... was OJ Simpson proven innocent?

To be fair, the standard for a grand jury indictment (probable cause - 9 of 12 jurors must agree) is much lower than a criminal trial (beyond a reasonable doubt - must be unanimous ).  

12 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I am glad you’ve already decided to give him a pass. Hopefully you wont find yourself in a closed room with any of the womens brothers or fathers.

I'm sure what would happen in that room would be consensual. The brothers or fathers would swear to it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets need to be offering Zach Wilson, #4 and #10 as we speak or Douglas should just quit. Someone is about to get a 26 year elite QB and if we decide not to throw our hat in that ring, we are so, so doomed

That's not enough, throw in Becton.

• Haha 1

Just now, Pac said:

Pretty clear he's guilty of something.  1 or 2 women conspiring to extort him is one thing but 20??  naww..

anyway, it's not like he's going to pick up where he left off.  he's going to be jeered wherever he goes probably by a majority of whichever fan base he winds up representing.  I wouldn't expect much in 2022.

Just send his ass to Carolina..  I don't want to have to hear about him constantly if he wound up with the Fins.

I want to believe this, but Steelers fans adore Big Ben. I don't see things going any differently with Watson, unless he starts to suck at football, in which case all his supporters will jump ship and fall back on the "he's a pervert" bandwagon.

I predict a lot of gross comments from Collinsworth and everyone, like:

"Well, we and the NFL have always supported women's rights and protecting women, that's why we wear pink, and I just hope every woman out there that is a victim of sexual assault feels like they can come forward and speak--whoa did you just see that bomb from Deshaun! Wow, what a tremendous athlete he is! And he's not just a tremendous athlete, because I had a chance to sit down and speak with him earlier today, but he's just a tremendous and humble and generous young man, and he's so resilient, too, like, he's had to face tremendous adversity this past year and, as you can see, it hasn't brought him down. What a fantastic person he is."

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I want to believe this, but Steelers fans adore Big Ben. I don't see things going any differently with Watson, unless he starts to suck at football, in which case all his supporters will jump ship and fall back on the "he's a pervert" bandwagon.

I predict a lot of gross comments from Collinsworth and everyone, like:

"Well, we and the NFL have always supported women's rights and protecting women, that's why we wear pink, and I just hope every woman out there that is a victim of sexual assault feels like they can come forward and speak--whoa did you just see that bomb from Deshaun! Wow, what a tremendous athlete he is! And he's not just a tremendous athlete, because I had a chance to sit down and speak with him earlier today, but he's just a tremendous and humble and generous young man, and he's so resilient, too, like, he's had to face tremendous adversity this past year and, as you can see, it hasn't brought him down. What a fantastic person he is."

Corporate world.

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

To be fair, the standard for a grand jury indictment (probable cause - 9 of 12 jurors must agree) is much lower than a criminal trial (beyond a reasonable doubt - must be unanimous ).  

Thanks for this - I'm not that up to speed on the nuances of the US legal system. Useful to know. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting, if he does get indicted and charged with sexual assault by the DA - teams should simply ignore this? and just go off their own research?

No. I'm actually suggesting the exact opposite: If he's not indicted or charged, teams should not take that as him being hire-able on its face. They are private organizations. Who cares what happens in the courts. They can interview these woman and make the reasonable decision on their own that this dude is a creep and should not be the face of their organization. A legal standard of person being guilty is often a higher standard than private citizens or organizations reasonably have.

Just because he is not indicted doesn't mean I'm letting him near my daughters.

Re read what I wrote. I suggested no such thing nor slightly alluded to it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I feel like I've said this a thousand times and it doesn't matter.  People don't understand that no physical evidence, which was always the case, doesn't mean he didn't do it, but it does mean he couldn't be prosecuted for it.

And teams can do their own research and possibly find all kinds of troubling evidence. Common sense doesn't die because a grand jury fails to indict. 

No reason to be fair. He has already been convicted in the eyes of many. Creepiness doesn't equal criminality but it doesn't seem to matter...the latter has been etched into our brains for over a year and at this point many have already decided one way or another.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

12 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No reason to be fair. He has already been convicted in the eyes of many. Creepiness doesn't equal criminality but it doesn't seem to matter...the latter has been etched into our brains for over a year and at this point many have already decided one way or another.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Yes, when charges are brought, or someone is arrested on a sex crime, he's often guilty in many people's minds. For example, most people I ask have no idea that the Duke Lacrosse charges were dropped, the prosecutor was disbarred, the evidence was faked, and the players received a huge settlement from Duke. Lots of people think they did something wrong because of the initial charges and the media of the whole thing.

Guilt by accusation. 

Teams and the NFL should do their own research on Watson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jets should be calling up teams who want watson and strike with one of their 1st rounders.  If these teams need draft assets the jets could find some good advantage here either with some kind of trade down or getting a player that might otherwise seem unattainable.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Why hasn’t anyone considered more evidence coming out later… after a trade lol 

Because once the process of Discovery is complete in a Criminal Proceeding that matter is considered closed. Now if new information comes to light it can affect the Civil Proceedings but that just means Watson is more likely to dig into his wallet deeper when that matter is adjudicated.