Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Bears are taking Bowers fyi 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

No chance. If that’s coming out of Bears camp, it’s a smokescreen. They have Kmet who is young and talented. He had a good year last year. And Keenan Allen is playing the slot.

A WR really puts there weapons over the top. 

Little doubt in my mind they go WR if one of the big 3 is there. The only way they don't go WR is if they prefer one of the D players. 

Believe their OC likes 12 personnel FWIW.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

We talk about this like it’s a JD thing, but it seems like a league wide thing to me nowadays. No one wants to get tied down with bad contracts, and contracts tend to go bad more often with aging players. I don’t think anyone minds having a handful of guys all in contract years, either. Maybe Lazard would’ve made a little effort last year if he hadn’t been guaranteed $11M this season. Next year he has nothing guaranteed, so I expect to see a little more motivation out of him. 

Yeah; but in the context of this Jets regime, where it’s unclear if they have one, two, or more years with Rodgers, I think it’s notable that they’re in a place with contract structures that leaves them scrambling a bunch going into next year. Is Rodgers sticking around for what’ll largely be a rebuild in 2025? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but they are absolutely going for broke this year. Pretty much every guy on the roster over 28 years old is unsigned for next year. 

Sauce breece and Rodgers are all signed next year. Move sauce to offense and that is halfway to a winning 7 on 7 roster.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetswin said:

I'd love Bowers on the Jets however I have one huge concern.  Would our baboink OC Hacker be able to come up with a plan to take advantage of him on offense or just use him as a routine TE?

A player taken at #10 shouldn’t require a genius scheme him the ball. If we’re talking about playmakers, it should be a player who’s capable of manufacturing his own opportunities. I think wherever he goes, it’ll be as the receiving TE in base 12-personnel. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

A player taken at #10 shouldn’t require a genius scheme him the ball. If we’re talking about playmakers, it should be a player who’s capable of manufacturing his own opportunities. I think wherever he goes, it’ll be as the receiving TE in base 12-personnel. 

my point is more to the fact that we don't already use TE's  as Kelce or Kittle or any of the other playmakers in the league at the position. It would require actually coming up with new plays, we already see how well he performed that task with Zack at QB.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetswin said:

my point is more to the fact that we don't already use TE's  as Kelce or Kittle or any of the other playmakers in the league at the position. It would require actually coming up with new plays, we already see how well he performed that task with Zack at QB.

To be fair, the Jets don't have a TE on their level.

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

To be fair, the Jets don't have a TE on their level.

right, this is my concern, will Hacker use him correctly if drafted? He's not an adjust on the fly type IMO, it took 3/4 of the season to figure out Breece can be used in the passing game and that was actually considered a strength when he was drafted (if I recall correctly).  I guess my larger point is I have zero confidence in Hacker

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree to an extent. But we have guys like MW and you could even add Odunze and I know that's a guy me and you both like. Who's main production is just throw it up to them. Guys that aren't getting open in space and creating separation.

5 minutes ago, jetswin said:

right, this is my concern, will Hacker use him correctly if drafted? He's not an adjust on the fly type IMO, it took 3/4 of the season to figure out Breece can be used in the passing game and that was actually considered a strength when he was drafted (if I recall correctly).  I guess my larger point is I have zero confidence in Hacker

Do we have any evidence to support that Rodgers will run plays the way Hackett draws them up?  He seems more like a "if you're open I'm passing it to you on a rope" kind of QB.

If Odunze is there, I believe he will be the pick. I just get the impression the Jets will draft Fuaga and play him either at RT or RG, with either Simpson or Moses being the backup.

I feel that they can get a playmaker later in the draft, whether they move up in the 2nd or staying in the 3rd.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Do we have any evidence to support that Rodgers will run plays the way Hackett draws them up?  He seems more like a "if you're open I'm passing it to you on a rope" kind of QB.

good point!  If they still played at Shea, Rodgers could just draw sh*t up in the infield dirt!

9 minutes ago, jetswin said:

I don't think they will run the offense through anyone. 

Rather than investing a top-10 selection in Bowers, the Jets should invest in better scouts and decision makers.

If I’m Woody Johnson, I am asking why other teams are able to identify these diamonds like Kittle, Kelce, Andrews, LaPorta, and Gronk on days 2 and 3 while my team is making laughable selections like Captain James Morgan from Podunk U or Jachai Polite, the only player in NFL combine history dumb enough to admit he never watches tape.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Rome is there, and he is truly our guy, it is 50 Pts to trade up one spot.That’s easy. The tough part would be if teams want a QB. That’s when you get taken to the cleaners.

You would have to move two spots to get in front of Chicago I would guess. Interesting if jets would pass on Alt.

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Rome is there, and he is truly our guy, it is 50 Pts to trade up one spot.That’s easy. The tough part would be if teams want a QB. That’s when you get taken to the cleaners.

Teams don’t have to trade with us just because we’re willing to give up the nominal value — what if the Bears want Oduzne ?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Last Minute trade ups also can cost an arm and a leg regardless of points. If a team gets a last minute call  I would figure someone fell to that spot for that particular team that did not expect it, so they will pay a premium. But if you make that trade up pre draft, you are not giving away your hand and look much less desparate. Sure its harder to do and you are taking a chance the player you want will be there but it will cost less IMHO

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lot of late momentum for Latham to the Chargers.  If the Jets take Bowers over Alt I will be pissed. 

There has to be either a  WR or OT that falls to the Jets if they stay put and in either scenario I would be pissed if they take Bowers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Prior to this week almost everyone had Latham going in the mid to late teens. So makes sense that the Chargers, if he’s their guy, would be looking to trade out of 5. And if we want to go up for Nabers or even Harrison if he happens to be there, seems likely they could drop to 10 and still get their guy. I think it will be a bidding war for the 5 spot between us and a few of the teams right behind us who want QBs. Will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Last Minute trade ups also can cost an arm and a leg regardless of points. If a team gets a last minute call  I would figure someone fell to that spot for that particular team that did not expect it, so they will pay a premium. But if you make that trade up pre draft, you are not giving away your hand and look much less desparate. Sure its harder to do and you are taking a chance the player you want will be there but it will cost less IMHO

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that all these guys have conversations before the draft and put parameters in place to move if the right players are or are not there. 

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged