Strange Feeling ...

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Usually a Jet prime time game is a pathetic performance, has a horrible injury or a
memorable play that's embarrassing (Butt Fumble).  I've never remembered a game where
I knew the Jets were going to win in the first quarter.  NE is a rebuilding team but
they "punched above their weight" in their first two games

I could remember Todd Bowles and Sam Darnold opening the season against the Lions where the beat up on them from the opening kickoff, but yes , it is an odd feeling indeed.

9 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

I could remember Todd Bowles and Sam Darnold opening the season against the Lions where the beat up on them from the opening kickoff, but yes , it is an odd feeling indeed.

That ended up being a blow out, but when Darnold threw his FIRST pass across the field for a pick 6, I remember thinking...sure, of course.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, KRL said:

Also, how weird is it to put Thomas Morstead in "witness protection" as he only punted
three times all game.  As recent as last year Morstead would punt three times in the
first quarter

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV

The most exciting non-defensive moments of the Zach Wilson era were when Morstead would do a punt fake for a 1st down.  lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I am a happy about our performance as anyone here.  Especially our performance against THAT team on national TV but let's just temper our enthusiasm a bit.  I think the Patriots are going to make a lot of teams look pretty good before this year is done.

Hey, beating the teams we are "supposed" to beat.  I will take it and run to the bank.

45 minutes ago, KRL said:

Usually a Jet prime time game is a pathetic performance, has a horrible injury or a
memorable play that's embarrassing (Butt Fumble).  I've never remembered a game where
I knew the Jets were going to win in the first quarter.  NE is a rebuilding team but
they "punched above their weight" in their first two games:

- Beating CIN on the road and rushing for 170 yards
- Losing to SEA in overtime and rushing for 185 yards 

So the Jets had to toughen up their run defense which SF exposed in the opener.  And
they went above and beyond as they held NE to 78 yards.  Other than too many penalties
(8 for 106 yards) they dominated for 60 minutes:

- Other than an ugly Greg Zuerlein miss isn't it nice not to depend on him for points?
Also, how weird is it to put Thomas Morstead in "witness protection" as he only punted
three times all game.  As recent as last year Morstead would punt three times in the
first quarter

- Fantastic performance by the defense as they locked down NE running game and abused
Jacoby Brissett all game with seven sacks. Impressed with the growth of Jeff Ulbrich's
game calling as he broke out a ton of blitzes.  Utilizing Quincy Williams, Jamien 
Sherwood and Chuck Clark to supplement the front four

- Let's deal with the elephant in the room, since CJ Mosley has gone out with an injury
the defense has become faster and has performed better.  Jamien Sherwood has been one
of the catalysts as he matches the speed/range of Quincy Williams and has locked down
the middle of the field.  Sherwood generated 5 Tackles and is going to force some hard
decisions for the staff when Mosley gets healthy

- Quincy Williams was his normal self as he was all over the field shutting down the 
run and screens (8 Tackles, TFL)

- Chuck Clark had his best game so far, since NE has no real deep threat he was able to
move into the box.  From a 4th LB spot Clark was able to generate 7 Tackles, Sack, TFL,
QB Hit and a fumble recovery

- The starting DT tandem of Quinnen Williams and Javon Kinlaw are causing havoc.  Their
stats aren't eye popping:

* Wiliams - 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL, QB Hit
 * Kinlaw - 1 Tackle, Sack, TFL, QB Hit

But their impact is being felt on every play, they consistently blew up NE run blocking
which allowed the LBs to make tackles.  And they penetrated the interior pocket of NE
pass blocking forcing Brissett into inaccurate throws or sacks by others

- Finally Will McDonald continues to ascend as he followed up his strong TEN game with
another 3 Tackles, 2 Sacks, TFL and 4 QB Hits.  What was really impressive was his strength
in setting the edge as NE challenged him early.  I hate that Jermaine Johnson is gone but
the jump in his second year production got him 7.5 sacks, McDonald already has FIVE in only
three games.  A 12-15 sack season is now easily within his reach 

- Excellent two way performance by the OLine as they kept Aaron Rodgers clean and allowed
the running game to generate 133 yards.  And the one penalty I did enjoy was the John
Simpson personal foul.  Even though it cost the team 15 yards it's nice to see the OLine
have a nastiness to their play.  Hopefully Morgan Moses injury isn't major

- The tandem of Breece Hall and Braelon Allen gives the team a physical, game breaking
presence no matter who is on the field.  And props to Nate Hackett for having them both
on the field on occasion:

* Hall with 16 rushes, 54 yards, TD and 4 catches, 29 yards
 * Allen with 11 rushes, 55 yards and 3 catches, 13 yards 

- Tyler Conklin finally got involved in the offense, controlling the middle of the field with
5 catches and 93 yards.  And when Rodgers scrambled it was nice to see Conklin find voids
in the defense to give him an outlet

- The GB chemistry that Allen Lazard had with Rodgers was on full display.  Lazard's 3 catches
for 48 yards and a TD were totally based on his reading the defense and knowing what Rodgers
wanted/would do

- The most encouraging part of the offense is it's generating 22.3 points a game without major
contributions from Garrett Wilson (5 catches, 33 yards, TD) and Mike Williams (3 catches,
34 yards).  You've seen flashes of the "jump ball" option Williams can bring to the offense.
But Wilson and Rodgers are just missing on some throws which would've been big gains

- That was a vintage Aaron Rodgers performance last night (27/35, 281 yards, 2 TD).  It was
strange watching a Jet QB throw the ball all over the field and never feel like he was going
to turn it over.  What was impressive was his movement skills in and out of the pocket, he
flashed them a little bit last week.  But against NE Rodgers was spry enough to actually run
(3 rushes, 18 yards) down the field and pick up a couple of first downs.  He still has to
work on being faster with the play clock because we can't be wasting multiple timeouts.  But
Rodgers performance definitely allows a Jet fan to dream   

Sherwood is a 4.76 speedster

49 minutes ago, KRL said:

they "punched above their weight" in their first two games:

- Beating CIN on the road and rushing for 170 yards
- Losing to SEA in overtime and rushing for 185 yards 

So the Jets had to toughen up their run defense which SF exposed in the opener.  And
they went above and beyond as they held NE to 78 yards.  Other than too many penalties
(8 for 106 yards) they dominated for 60 minutes:

- Other than an ugly Greg Zuerlein miss isn't it nice not to depend on him for points?
first quarter

- Fantastic performance by the defense as they locked down NE running game and abused
Jacoby Brissett all game with seven sacks. Impressed with the growth of Jeff Ulbrich's
game calling as he broke out a ton of blitzes.  Utilizing Quincy Williams, Jamien 
Sherwood and Chuck Clark to supplement the front four

- Let's deal with the elephant in the room, since CJ Mosley has gone out with an injury
the defense has become faster and has performed better.  Jamien Sherwood has been one
of the catalysts as he matches the speed/range of Quincy Williams and has locked down
the middle of the field.  Sherwood generated 5 Tackles and is going to force some hard
decisions for the staff when Mosley gets healthy

- Quincy Williams was his normal self as he was all over the field shutting down the 
run and screens (8 Tackles, TFL)

- Chuck Clark had his best game so far, since NE has no real deep threat he was able to
move into the box.  From a 4th LB spot Clark was able to generate 7 Tackles, Sack, TFL,
QB Hit and a fumble recovery

- The starting DT tandem of Quinnen Williams and Javon Kinlaw are causing havoc.  Their
stats aren't eye popping:

* Wiliams - 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL, QB Hit
 * Kinlaw - 1 Tackle, Sack, TFL, QB Hit

But their impact is being felt on every play, they consistently blew up NE run blocking
which allowed the LBs to make tackles.  And they penetrated the interior pocket of NE
pass blocking forcing Brissett into inaccurate throws or sacks by others

- Finally Will McDonald continues to ascend as he followed up his strong TEN game with
another 3 Tackles, 2 Sacks, TFL and 4 QB Hits.  What was really impressive was his strength
in setting the edge as NE challenged him early.  I hate that Jermaine Johnson is gone but
the jump in his second year production got him 7.5 sacks, McDonald already has FIVE in only
three games.  A 12-15 sack season is now easily within his reach 

- Excellent two way performance by the OLine as they kept Aaron Rodgers clean and allowed
the running game to generate 133 yards.  And the one penalty I did enjoy was the John
Simpson personal foul.  Even though it cost the team 15 yards it's nice to see the OLine
have a nastiness to their play.  Hopefully Morgan Moses injury isn't major

- The tandem of Breece Hall and Braelon Allen gives the team a physical, game breaking
presence no matter who is on the field.  And props to Nate Hackett for having them both
on the field on occasion:

* Hall with 16 rushes, 54 yards, TD and 4 catches, 29 yards
 * Allen with 11 rushes, 55 yards and 3 catches, 13 yards 

- Tyler Conklin finally got involved in the offense, controlling the middle of the field with
5 catches and 93 yards.  And when Rodgers scrambled it was nice to see Conklin find voids
in the defense to give him an outlet

- The GB chemistry that Allen Lazard had with Rodgers was on full display.  Lazard's 3 catches
for 48 yards and a TD were totally based on his reading the defense and knowing what Rodgers
wanted/would do

- The most encouraging part of the offense is it's generating 22.3 points a game without major
contributions from Garrett Wilson (5 catches, 33 yards, TD) and Mike Williams (3 catches,
34 yards).  You've seen flashes of the "jump ball" option Williams can bring to the offense.
But Wilson and Rodgers are just missing on some throws which would've been big gains

- That was a vintage Aaron Rodgers performance last night (27/35, 281 yards, 2 TD).  It was
strange watching a Jet QB throw the ball all over the field and never feel like he was going
to turn it over.  What was impressive was his movement skills in and out of the pocket, he
flashed them a little bit last week.  But against NE Rodgers was spry enough to actually run
(3 rushes, 18 yards) down the field and pick up a couple of first downs.  He still has to
work on being faster with the play clock because we can't be wasting multiple timeouts.  But
Rodgers performance definitely allows a Jet fan to dream   

They broke their tendencies from the first 2 games. Nice to see some game planning and originality.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have had everything in place for awhile now except the qb.  It has been a true miracle we have won 7 games the past few years w/ the qb play we have had.

Nothing that is happening with the Jets now should surprise anyone.  All we were missing was a qb. 

I hope he never sees the field, but we also have maybe the best backup qb in the NFL. Going from having 1 of the worst last yr, very nice upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I am a happy about our performance as anyone here.  Especially our performance against THAT team on national TV but let's just temper our enthusiasm a bit.  I think the Patriots are going to make a lot of teams look pretty good before this year is done.

Hey, beating the teams we are "supposed" to beat.  I will take it and run to the bank.

Maybe, maybe not. We made them look really bad but they went toe to toe with 2 pretty good teams before last night. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol. Never mind he ran that 4.76 almost 20 lbs ago when he was showcasing himself as a safety. Now he’s a 235-pound LB.

He’s fast enough. 

lol I mean Vernon Gholston ran a 4.58 but is there any doubt who's faster on a football field?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Snell said:

Darnold's first NFL career pass in that game was a pick 6.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think we sometimes forget that the goal in drafting Will McD was initially to have him replace Bryce Huff as the 3rd down pass rusher.  That was going to be how they worked him into this Defense.  It's just that McD was a bit slower to come along last year and Huff obviously played lights out looking for a new contract.  The longterm plan is obviously that McD is a full-time DE who can also move inside on certain plays to rush from a DT spot.  I saw some alignments last night with QW on the outside and McD lining up over a Guard.  If he gets better vs the run and edge-setting then lookout!

With Huff gone, JJ out, and the Reddick stalemate persisting I can't think of a single, more important thing to happen for the Jets than Will McD taking a big step forward in his sophomore season.  Aside from AR, he might just be the Jets most valuable and important player right now.

I recall watching one specific play where WMD was lined up in his fairly wide spot, NE tried to run it up the middle and it was WMD who hit the RB behind the LOS, knifing in to stop the play in its tracks.

Nice to see him rushing the passer ... also nice to see him do well vs. the run and not being a "one trick pony".

• Upvote 1

I think we sometimes forget that the goal in drafting Will McD was initially to have him replace Bryce Huff as the 3rd down pass rusher.  That was going to be how they worked him into this Defense.  It's just that McD was a bit slower to come along last year and Huff obviously played lights out looking for a new contract.  The longterm plan is obviously that McD is a full-time DE who can also move inside on certain plays to rush from a DT spot.  I saw some alignments last night with QW on the outside and McD lining up over a Guard.  If he gets better vs the run and edge-setting then lookout!

With Huff gone, JJ out, and the Reddick stalemate persisting I can't think of a single, more important thing to happen for the Jets than Will McD taking a big step forward in his sophomore season.  Aside from AR, he might just be the Jets most valuable and important player right now.

I actually read yesterday about some expert who provided a do-over on last years draft, knowing now what we know.  He had the team who was picking 12th, pick McDonald, ahead of us picking 15th as we did.  That was surprising to me, since at the time, no one (except the Jets) thought that McDonald was a top 15 pick.  It was very nice to read that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I actually read yesterday about some expert who provided a do-over on last years draft, knowing now what we know.  He had the team who was picking 12th, pick McDonald, ahead of us picking 15th as we did.  That was surprising to me, since at the time, no one (except the Jets) thought that McDonald was a top 15 pick.  It was very nice to read that.

I'm waiting for @Green Ghost to chime in.

crickets GIF

• Upvote 1

good points but huff didn't exactly light it up his rookie season and neither did johnson.  i think people think too often that first round players need to be ready from day one.  obviously some are.  but i think  it takes a season on the bench or in spot duty for players in just about every position.