FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is how I am afraid the rest of the offseason will play out.  We are going to whiff on most big name FAs.  Over pay to sign a bunch of 2nd tier/career back-up types.  Send next year's one to Indy to move up to 3 and select Josh Allen.  Then go 2-14 behind a lousy rookie QB and a mediocre veteran. 

Macc/Bowles get fired.  And we have to try to hire a new coach/new GM with a lousy roster, limited cap space, no answer at QB and no first round pick.  Yeah, our future is bright.

What is scary is that the two alternatives are:

Bowles/Maccagnan spend every nickel to put together a team that can win some games (the 2015 plan); or

Bowles/Maccagnan are assured they will be able to return in 2019 and continue the rebuild (It only started in 2017!?)

I guess there is a third opportunity, the tell them they are guaranteed to come back and then can them anyway (the 2014 plan) 

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I knew there was a floor that they had to reach before they just cut a check to the NFL League office instead of a player.  Id be interested to know what that number is.  

2017-2020 you need to spend 89% of the total cap. I believe to be right at that number we would need to spend $80M or so but we can roll over some of that to next year, it just means maxing out all our cap in 2019 and 2020. 

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is how I am afraid the rest of the offseason will play out.  We are going to whiff on most big name FAs.  Over pay to sign a bunch of 2nd tier/career back-up types.  Send next year's one to Indy to move up to 3 and select Josh Allen.  Then go 2-14 behind a lousy rookie QB and a mediocre veteran. 

Macc/Bowles get fired.  And we have to try to hire a new coach/new GM with a lousy roster, limited cap space, no answer at QB and no first round pick.  Yeah, our future is bright.

I always have this fantasy that there’s a fictitious “Person In The Building” who knows the league and has an idea about franchise-building who can intervene in the best long-term interests of the franchise. This person could stop Maccagnan from making the desperation trade-up, or throwing $12 mil at Tavon Austin. Then I remember that there is no such person. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Bowles/Maccagnan spend every nickel to put together a team that can win some games (the 2015 plan); or

Bowles/Maccagnan are assured they will be able to return in 2019 and continue the rebuild (It only started in 2017!?)

I guess there is a third opportunity, the tell them they are guaranteed to come back and then can them anyway (the 2014 plan) 

I like the 2014 plan.

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

sign Jensen and Trumaine Johnson by tonight or drag Macc out of the building

I ain't touching him don't want to catch the suck

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Launch them into orbit tonight and bring on Les Miles to coach the team this year

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think its #2, with the same exact strategy as last season. Todd's favorite defensive player at 6, sign veteran QB's (Mccown/Bridgewater) and scrap together 4-6 wins. Woody being overseas changes things. Opportunity 3 isnt as likely with him gone, imo.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Are we really gonna have to give up next year's 1st to move up 3 spots?  

Because of two extra worthless wins last year.  God damn it.

If it means landing our guy and taking an option away from 2 division rivals makes it a little easier to swallow.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Are we really gonna have to give up next year's 1st to move up 3 spots?  

Because of two extra worthless wins last year.  God damn it.

We shouldn't have to but if you Buffalo knocking on the door with everything to give you probably have to throw something big in like a future 1st.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I think its #2, with the same exact strategy as last season. Todd's favorite defensive player at 6, sign veteran QB's (Mccown/Bridgewater) and scrap together 4-6 wins.

170109-Opponent-1200x675-story-top.jpg

Adding McCown back into the fold, where are those 4-6 wins?

Well, Bowles may be well respected by his peers, but based so far on what we're seeing in free agency, players aren't even looking in the Jets direction like Florham Park is being hit by the plague. He's a terrible coach, we have holes everywhere on the team after 3 years. And now it looks like the Browns will easily turn it around next year and most definitely be a better team than our NY Jets, lol, the Browns! The dog pound is gonna have a blast watching Sequan Run, Gordon, Landry & Coleman catching passes along with Njoku at TE. 

Right now we are pretty pathetic. But, we do have 2 good safeties, lol.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

It's not unreasonable to think we could sweep the bills and dolphins but let's say we split. I'd say the Bears and Titans could be wins. Jags and Colts could be a toss up. 4-6 wins seems like a fair total.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like the 2014 plan.

The only real issue with it is that doing that twice might sour some new hires.  You kind of look bad not doing what you say.  It will depend how bad the team is. There are still plenty of opportunities to add good young talent by teams dumping salary.  Plenty of it went on in 2017, and it is becoming more common, even in season.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yikes. Based on what these teams do in free agency & the draft, Vegas is gonna have the Jets picking #1 overall next year unless Luck has a setback. Game vs Colts will determine #1 overall pick. Bills might be there will us, we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I don't blame Wilkerson the way this team loses on and off the field is wearing me out

Yeah, and you don’t make millions upon millions to play a backyard game. There are no excuses for him. He is set for life. Never has to worry about struggling again. He could of at least left with grace/played with effort.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

It's not unreasonable to think we could sweep the bills and dolphins but let's say we split. I'd say the Bears and Titans could be wins. Jags and Colts could be a toss up. 4-6 wins seems like a fair total.

Jags are a toss up?  Did you see how the Jags finished the season?

Colts are a possibility based on what happens w/ Andrew Luck.

Bears, maybe.  Not sure what makes you think we can beat the Titans?

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If it means landing our guy and taking an option away from 2 division rivals makes it a little easier to swallow.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

We shouldn't have to but if you Buffalo knocking on the door with everything to give you probably have to throw something big in like a future 1st.

Don't get me wrong.  I agree you do what you have to do to get a rookie QB ya want.

Just hope Woody is paying attention.  Next time this organization is in a tank scenario, he better make sure they don't do dumb $hit and win meaningless games.

Losing next year's 1st rounder or both of our 2nds this year will suck.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, and you don’t make millions upon millions to play a backyard game. There are no excuses for him. He is set for life. Never has to worry about struggling again. He could of at least left with grace/played with effort.

Obviously he's an idiot for leaving money on the table the way he did, I'm just frustrated with this team

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yikes. Based on what these teams do in free agency & the draft, Vegas is gonna have the Jets picking #1 overall next year unless Luck has a setback. Game vs Colts will determine #1 overall pick. Bills might be there will us, we'll see. 

I'm sure the Bills have a plan.  They were in the playoffs last year, they'll get Bradford and maybe a rookie QB.  They're not going to be bottom 3.  Colts will be interesting, but if Luck is back, they'll be fine.

Archived