Jets leaning towards keeping Jermaine Kearse

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/21/17038864/report-jets-leaning-toward-keeping-jermaine-kearse

Report: Jets leaning toward keeping Jermaine Kearse

Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse had a solid 2017. His contract makes him a potential cap casualty this offseason, however. The team would save around $5 million against the salary cap if he is cut. No dead money would be left on the cap. Rich Cimini reports the Jets are still not inclined to cut him.

Kearse has the only cap charge of significance, and that will be completely wiped off the books if he’s released. They’re leaning toward keeping Kearse, but it could depend on how things shake out with free agency and the draft.

I think keeping Kearse is the prudent course for the team at this point. There are question marks around the top two receivers on the roster. Quincy Enunwa is coming off a serious injury, while Robby Anderson has off field issues to deal with. A competent veteran like Kearse is a nice guy to have around, and a cap hit around $5 million is not prohibitive.

If an upgrade is available in free agency, cutting Kearse could open up cap space for a down payment. Even if the Jets did bring in a receiver, the question marks around Enunwa and Anderson might be enough motivation to keep Kearse.

Kearse is the only veteran presence we have.  Anderson is not a guy you want teaching Stewart, Hanson, etc to emulate, on or off the field.  He is too immature.

I just don’t see any free agent WRs that have both high characte, great mentors type AND past production to warrant the contracts they will be getting.

Seems like a no brainer at this point that you have to keep the guy.  He had a solid season for us and is the only NFL proven WR that is returning that is not surrounded by question marks related to injury or off field buttheadedness.

Only way that you could even remotely consider cutting him is if we add 2 WRs: one each in draft and FA.  And if we know that Enunwa is healthy and Robby is not facing suspension.  All that falls into place, maybe you let him go at the end of the preseason.  But that would be a long shot.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

Kearse is the only veteran presence we have.  Anderson is not a guy you want teaching Stewart, Hanson, etc to emulate, on or off the field.  He is too immature.

I just don’t see any free agent WRs that have both high characte, great mentors type AND past production to warrant the contracts they will be getting.

What the hell are we paying coaches for?

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I agree with you but young guys, especially WRs develop better with vets along side them.  Guys that can show them how to dedicate themselves to film study to how to act when you score TDs. And when the offense is struggling, instead of being a negative presence, how to rally their teammates to get out of it.

Coaching is obviously part of it, but having a vet show them by their own actions, is probably more effective.

Why else does our FO/HC keep bringing in guys like McCown, Forte, and Kearse?  Even Steve McLendon has taking on a leadership role.

How could we not? There is so much uncertainty at the WR position for us to lose him. 

Stewart & Hanson - Will they improve in year 2? 

Enunwa - Will he be the same player once he returns

Anderson - Our best WR but he has off field issues & now that the league has seen him will he make the same impact. 

Kearse isn't a game breaker but he is a super solid receiver & we need guys like that. If we could find another WR in this draft/FA (unfortunately no Jarvis Landry) that makes Kearse all the more valuable.

Barring some crazy free agent WR signings, there is no chance Kearse is going anywhere. He is a very solid WR. If he is your #1, it's a problem, but as a #2 in the stable Eric Decker type role he is very solid. 65 catches for 810 yards isn't too bad with Josh Mccown as your QB. 

With Anderson and Enunwa having lingering issues, you can't afford to let Kearse go. 

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Kearse is probably cut on most teams that have a decent offense. But he is safe on the jets :)

Yeah, 800 yards & 65 receptions under Josh McCown is definitely cut worthy. Most teams would love to have a guy like that at #2.

The Jets are looking at close to $100M in cap room with Kearse on the roster at $5.5M, why would they even consider cutting him? He's easily their steadiest WR, if nothing else, and if they're going to try to convince Kirk Cousins to come play QB in the swamp they're going to need to have a few players who can catch a football. 

7 hours ago, K Clue said:

Would be a terrible idea to cut him. So, obviously its the smart idea to keep him, he's a quality receiver and worth the cap space.

Yeah, I totally agree , good player at a good cap number, and the team has a ton of cap room.

Why would they cut him.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

He's a good WR.  Not sure what you're talking about.

Did I say he wasn’t good ? Sorry I should have said he could be cut because he is a 3 or 4th receiver on most teams. He would be cut Because 5 mil for a 3rd/ 4th doesn’t add up. He would then sign on a team where he could be a 3 or even 2 on a really bad offensive team, like the jets. His salary was 2.2 last yr. I like him, we have a ton of cap, and we can’t afford to lose the little offense we have. 

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Jets coach with empty Campbells soup cans & string. WR coach tells Anderson...Anderson tells Stewart..Stewart tells Hansen..Hansen tells Stringfellow, you get the idea. Its why we've developed so many great WRs since 1999.

Archived