FYI: Jets reportedly hiring Champ Kelly as Asst GM

8 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I like this.  except #6 is in NJ.  ?

I could go either way, but it seems tastier with NE fans watching it live. The crowd crying "Tom* don't go" (on tv) will be nourishing as Sam, sorry, Mr Darnold throws a game winning TD, as time expires, to a little white bench warmer wr. As for the meadowlands, the Jets can win the parking lot super bowl against the giants a year or two after if the United States as we know it survives #7 the super bowl pearl harbor.

46 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

agree.  but thinking about it from his POV:  isn't this kind of....odd?  you interview for a job, lose, then take an assistant job to the guy who won?

hey - I'm all for it, but just odd.

Moving from assistant of one phase of the operation to assistant of the whole operation is a nice step up. Kelly was viewed as a great prospect, but maybe needing more seasoning before he was ready for the big chair. Now he gets that and a raise to work with two men he’s familiar and comfortable with. If true, it’s a good move for him and the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

53 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

agree.  but thinking about it from his POV:  isn't this kind of....odd?  you interview for a job, lose, then take an assistant job to the guy who won?

hey - I'm all for it, but just odd.

Not so odd.  Probably just got himself a $100,000 raise.  I'll take it 

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how good this is.  It sounds like the reason they are going after Kelly is because the Eagles aren't letting Douglas poach the guys he wants.  IIRC, it may work out better in the long run because Kelly is probably further along and I hear those guys are only under contract through this year, so they may be coming over later. 

Forcing him to work with someone new, even if it's his second choice, can also work out well.

Just now, thshadow said:

Forcing him to work with someone new, even if it's his second choice, can also work out well.

Maybe.  I don't think Kelly is actually anybody new.  He has worked with both Gase and Douglas previously.  If Kelly was his first choice and the Jets wouldn't go for him to save money (or because he will be poached soon) then it is good, but the stated reason above is that the Eagles are playing hardball and not letting his first choices interview/loose to take jobs with the Jets.  In that case we are all celebrating getting a guy that isn't first choice. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe.  I don't think Kelly is actually anybody new.  He has worked with both Gase and Douglas previously.  If Kelly was his first choice and the Jets wouldn't go for him to save money (or because he will be poached soon) then it is good, but the stated reason above is that the Eagles are playing hardball and not letting his first choices interview/loose to take jobs with the Jets.  In that case we are all celebrating getting a guy that isn't first choice. 

There was speculation when Kelly was interviewed that he might be being interviewed to potentially bring in as a Douglas underling. Douglas knows the guy, so this wouldn’t be one of those classic Jets’ shotgun weddings. Douglas wanting the guys with him since Baltimore makes sense, but he also had to know that Philly was likely to block every move that they could. Have to have a contingency plan. 

• Upvote 2

But in all seriousness, if you're truly a Jets fan you have to be excited about this? The Jets got their first choice an up and coming talent and he goes and hires their second or third choice? That's the best of both worlds.

Because I'm a Jets fan with a history full of horrid sadness rooting for this team, I'll always take a wait and see approach. I've had my heart broken way too many times to treat this any other way. However, from one fan well aware of this organizations missteps, I think the Jets just might have finally gotten it right? 

To hell with those that don't agree with the timing of Mac's firing, if they hadn't done things this way, they may not have ended up with Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly running things.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

To hell with those that don't agree with the timing of Mac's firing, if they hadn't done things this way, they may not have ended up with Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly running things.

ya but Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly are both unknowns so don’t be excited.

• Thumb Down 1

40 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Eagles really have become the most notorious for not giving their guys a single chance unless they are required to.  You have to think at some point that's going to come back to bite them, right?  If you had a chance of a coaching/staffing job with both the Eagles and another team, would you really trust the Eagles to not interfere with your own professional future?

All evidence suggests the one and only reason the Jets were able to get Douglas from them is because, by giving him final roster control, the Eagles could do literally nothing about it.  They've been repeatedly reported as blocking teams from talking to any of their guys whenever possible, and it sounds like they're doing it again now.

That said, I have no issue with the Kelly hire, regardless of why it happened.

Here's the thing: If the Jets had made the move to fire MacCagnan immediately after the draft then certain Eagles staffers who had their contract expire could have held off on signing extensions and/or the Eagles could have made inquiries with other personnel types around the league whose contract was up about their interest in joining the Eagles' staff. The Jets waited so long though that almost all of the Eagles' staffers are under contract and so are most of the personnel types around the league so the Eagles' external options for replacing guys like Weidl or Ian Cunningham would be very limited if they let them leave to join the Jets. Now the best thing for the Eagles is to promote internally. They have a pipeline ready so that Weidl can replace Douglas. Ian Cunningham will likely get bumped to asst dir of player personnel and then in a year or two may be ready to be bumped to Weidl's spot if Weidl gets a GM job elsewhere. The Eagles are already losing a key guy in Douglas, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to let multiple front office guys leave at this point in the offseason. Those guys will be taken care of with promotions/raises.

As far as other situations, I assume you're referring to DeFelippo. I'd agree that ideally you don't want to block a guy from receiving a promotion. However, Wentz was in his 2nd year and his development trumped all. The Eagles hadn't had the same QBs coach for more than a year since 2012. I can see the team wanting a little stability there. Besides, that was an owner call. Roseman and Pederson were willing to let DeFelippo leave but got overruled. Can't complain about how it worked out.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

If this is confirmed and I expect Phil Savage to run the College Scouting department...this front office has me more excited than any coach, gm, or player we’ve had in 20 years.

Front office has been our weakness since forever, even during times of a solid roster. It has cost us progress and ultimately championships.

A good front office never would have let Mangini get fired or have Favre forced on him.

A good front office would have replenished the roster we had, instead of taking all of Rex Ryan’s draft requests. That roster for 2008/2009/2010 was completely squandered. They didn’t take a dip. It was a complete nose dive. Players come and go. We need an organization that refills with the same or better quality we lose.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A good front office never would have let Mangini get fired or have Favre forced on him.

Yes, all of Mangini’s success since his firing by the Jets points to what a terrible decision that was. /sarcasm

Agree on the Jets front office in general, but Mangini is straight up awful. Favre was his only real successful run, until he was afraid to pull him and his broken wing. There’s a reason beyond the conspiracy theories that he can’t get a job. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A good front office would have replenished the roster we had, instead of taking all of Rex Ryan’s draft requests. That roster for 2008/2009/2010 was completely squandered. They didn’t take a dip. It was a complete nose dive. Players come and go. We need an organization that refills with the same or better quality we lose.

I blame "Mistah T" for that because he traded up so often that we'd end up with 3 picks in a draft.  Eventually that catches up to you (especially when the Pats were constantly loading up with extra #1's, #2's and #3's).

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Yup, I understand.  And I get it's football, but if it were ME interviewing for a job, and someone beat me out, and now I'm gonna work under him/her?  

unless:  SABOTAGE!  LOL

Think we have had enought of the sabotage and back-stabbing stories to last a while, lol.

But, if he needed to take this intermediate step in order to get to the #1 position; may as well do it now, and he can get to be GM a year earlier.  And scine he worked with both Douglas and Gase in Chicago, he may feel this is a good fit for him.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's still an upgrade from his position with the Bears. Probably more money as well. 

It's possible the Jets wanted Douglas all along and brought certain guys in, like Kelly, as sort of interviews for the Assistant GM role (and to satisfy the Rooney Rule). 

The Jets had already satisfied the Rooney Rule by interviewing Terry Fontenot by the time Kelly interviewed, so no, it had nothing to do with the Rooney Rule. The word on Kelly was always that he was a tremendous leader and a definite eventual GM, but he also had not yet been second-in-command so there were questions about whether he could make the big step up to the GM chair at this point. So taking this job with the Jets is great for Kelly, because it will answer those questions, and put him in a better spot to pick up a GM job possibly as soon as next offseason. And that works for the Jets, because the weidl brothers who are in Philadelphia, if I'm remembering the reporting correctly, each have one year left on their deals. So if Kelly moves on in a year, Douglas can replace him with the guys he wanted to take from Philly staff.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, all of Mangini’s success since his firing by the Jets points to what a terrible decision that was. /sarcasm

Agree on the Jets front office in general, but Mangini is straight up awful. Favre was his only real successful run, until he was afraid to pull him and his broken wing. There’s a reason beyond the conspiracy theories that he can’t get a job. 

I’m not a Mangini fan. My point was if the gm and hc were in sync with a united vision, management would have let them continue to build their roster. 

Mangini the coach sucked. Mangini the talent evaluator was very good. My point is, keeping Mangini or firing him, a good front office would have kept the roster going. Instead that all went away, crashed & burned.