We JUST MIGHT have the best RB in the league

Jetster

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just got done watching One Jets Drive latest episode & listening to Curtis Martin talking about Le'veon Bell reminded me how freaking talented this guy is. Lev is the elite of the ELITE in the NFL & is right up there with Barkley & Zeke. Gurleys injury & how he declined last year has elevated these 3 guys. Not since Curtis Martin have we had a HOF type offensive player. 

Since taking a year off it's almost like we've all forgotten how good he is. We have a 22 year old phenom QB, one of the best running backs in the league, an offensive coach, some good WRs in Anderson, Quincy & Crowder, and we still have pessimistic fans? I'm wondering how these same fans felt going into 2014? The arrow for the Jets is pointing straight up and 2019 is just the beginning. Just look at teams over the last 3 years who had young QBs paired with great RBs & it elevated their games. 

The Jets if anything are going to be EXCITING AGAIN, my god it's been a long time! Even in 2015 with Fitz best year we still had those dulldrum halves with 8 punts now & then. This offense will challenge defenses on every possession. No more getting dictated to with the clock running out, Sam & Gase are going to make DCs work & have to adjust to us. 2019 is going to be a lot of fun.

A Jet fan with an optimistic outlook for the 2019 season.

??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Barkley is a clear step above everyone - but if Bell plays at the level he used to, imho, he is the next best.

Barkley is a freak but he's not catching balls like a WR in the endzone like Bell has done numerous times in his career. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can we see him take a snap that counts before we declare him maybe the best in the league?

He was exceptional.  I don;t know what he is now.....no one does.  No one has seen it under live fire conditions yet.

I tend to think taking a year off if anything has helped Bell. That’s one less year of wear and tear on his body. He’s in his prime. Old injuries have had time to heal. All signs are pointing up for him to have a sensational year. It’s not like he forgot to do what he does. He’ll be the # 1 RB in 2019 barring no injuries.....He’s also great out of the backfield for dump and run plays. With him in the lineup Defenses will have to adjust their schemes to cover him opening up the middle for Crowder and the deep ball to Robbie. Great weapon to have.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Barkley is a freak but he's not catching balls like a WR in the endzone like Bell has done numerous times in his career. 

Barkley and Zeke are better, easily.  David Johnson might be too, purely on skill set and ability.

Until we see Bell on the field, he hasn’t proven he is special outside that dominant Pittsburgh offense. Hopefully, sure. Prove it. 

• Upvote 1

As for who is better?  Saquon.  But that's it IMO.

Bell has the best vision in the game, and that one isn't close.

I was saying the Jets needed to sign him since whenever it was obvious he was gonna hit the FA market.

He's been my favorite player to watch for years.  Excited for all Jets fans to get to see him play every week...

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

except most if not all of those catches were swings out of the back field, how many was he lined up as a wide receiver, hence my comment about running routes. I am knocking him it is the offense and he plays well in it, just let me know when he lines up as a wide out...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/do-the-giants-have-to-change-how-they-use-saquon-barkley/ar-AAGrPCt

the average depth per reception were 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage...almost like a long hand off

on a totally unrelated note:  Eli's comp % shot up last year too....

• Upvote 2

Ok.  I'm good with all that.  No one would say he's not a material on-paper upgrade, least of all me.
But whats the problem with wanting to SEE it first, before we start loudly proclaiming him the best in the NFL?
If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he still the "best RB in the NFL"?
We'll have real results soon enough.  I can hold off being fanatic about our new RB till then.

Let goooooooo and let the love and excitement of Leveon Bell wash over you like a Calgon commercial in the 70’s

Leveon take me awasaaay

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

Bell, at his best, is a Top 3 RB in the NFL....no doubt about it.  With a good (not necessarily great) OLine and a QB who presents a legitimate passing threat, like we have now, he can be everything that he's capable of.  His window will close at some point, probably has 2 elite years left and then a couple more very good ones.  But it could be fun while it lasts.  I think having a full 1 1/2 years without football will be a serious benefit to this guy....as will the fact that I don't anticipate Gase abusing him the way Pitt did.  If the Jets are up (or down) by a lot in the 4th Q of games I expect to see us shelf Bell as much as we can so that he's still in peak form come December.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ok.  I'm good with all that.  No one would say he's not a material on-paper upgrade, least of all me.

But whats the problem with wanting to SEE it first, before we start loudly proclaiming him the best in the NFL?

If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he still the "best RB in the NFL"?

We'll have real results soon enough.  I can hold off being fanatic about our new RB till then.

I mean did you not see him in Pittsburgh the last 5 years. Over 8000 all purpose yards. 3X pro bowler 2X all pro. It's not like he's coming off a major injury. He will be the exact same player he was in 2017 when he finished 3rd in rushing with 1291 yards and 10th in receptions with 85. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Edit. Double post

Edited by Darnold Schwarzenegger

People are saying he might be top 3?

They are undervaluing him.  He has the capability, if the offensive line is decent, to be the best.  I am not sure how much he gets used, he has complained in the past about overuse, but if he gets the touches, he can easily lead the league in yards and tds.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Barkley and Zeke are better, easily.  David Johnson might be too, purely on skill set and ability.

Until we see Bell on the field, he hasn’t proven he is special outside that dominant Pittsburgh offense. Hopefully, sure. Prove it. 

Davind Johnson is not better than Bell. Could argue Zeke also. 

Bell could be the key to this season. He hasn't played in over a year and a half. And no exhibition games. He seems like the perfect compliment to Darnold in that he's a player who can extend a series. Bell is someone who can move the chains and take a Qb mistake and make a play with it. If things work out it would also help the D by keeping them off the field. And increase TOP for the team. I'm hyped!

The problem is, sometimes when you are as rusty as he is, you fumble. I remember Riggins came back after holding out in the off season, didn't play preseason, and fumbled in his first game .... and Riggins never fumbled.. It's what happens when you haven't been hit for real in a long time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't imagine anybody that has seen Barkley play having this opinion.  If Bell is better, it is not by enough to make such a statement.  I guess you addressed this, but I don't think I agree.  I think your later comments relate way more to the structure of the offense than to the players innate talents.

yes but all that needs to be taken into consideration imho. Yes he can catch the ball but those are normally behind the line of scrimmage and he is not running routes. I thought the article I linked kind of supported my view point. I am not arguing Barkley is not great I just think the one thing Bell does better is run routes like a receiver where Barkley is getting the ball on the average 7 yrds behind the LOS and then building a head of steam and picking his holes.

Nothing wrong with that but he is not running a route tree or really catching the ball in tight spots like Bell has done. 

Both are great players Barkley is without a doubt the better runner with more explosiveness but as a receiver he lags behind Bell for the moment it may change.

But this is another area where looking at just stats is misleading. He caught the ball 92 times but where did he catch the ball what types of routes were ran?

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Saquon did catch 91 balls last year as a rookie

look at the routes ran and where he caught the ball the link I posted earlier explains that. what is harder running a route like a receiver and catching the ball in a tight window(which Bell has done in the past) or catching the ball 7 yrds behind the line of scrimmage on the average with no defenders near you?

if everyone was 10 yards away from you it should be easier to catch the ball shouldn't it as compare to running a full route and catching while being covered....

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Barkley has more receptions then Bell ever did, more receiving TDs and more recieving yards then every season but one. Barkley is the real deal if he’s a Giant or not. 

The recent surge in usage of the phrase "generational talent" is one of my biggest current NFL pet peeves (you can't have generational talent in the draft every year; that would be called "annual talent"). But Barkley is one of the players that I would actually call generational. He is a tier above every back who's entered the league in the past decade+.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The recent surge in usage of the phrase "generational talent" is one of my biggest current NFL pet peeves (you can't have generational talent in the draft every year; that would be called "annual talent"). But Barkley is one of the players that I would actually call generational. He is a tier above every back who's entered the league in the past decade+.

Agreed.  There are generational talents ever year.  It is almost as bad a "franchise."  

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I mean did you not see him in Pittsburgh the last 5 years. Over 8000 all purpose yards. 3X pro bowler 2X all pro. It's not like he's coming off a major injury.

Nope.  No injury.  Just a long spell of not playing football in games.  

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

He will be the exact same player he was in 2017 when he finished 3rd in rushing with 1291 yards and 10th in receptions with 85. 

That'll be great.  I think it's safe to say we'll all be very happy if that happens.  I'd love to see 1,200+ yards rushing and 80+ catches too.

I just haven't seen anything yet.  No runs.  No catches.  Nothing.  Because he isn't playing.  Which is 100% ok.

I'm just not going to call him the best RB in the NFL until I do see him play.  I hope he will be, of course. 

I think that is a very reasonable position.  

26 minutes ago, PS17 said:

But he is on the Giants so that automatically disqualifies him from being as good as he actually is with some Jet fans. 

The really interesting thing is the entire year off without any injury. Marshawn got some beast mode back laying off a year, and 7f it works for Bell and he is completely refreshed he could have a monster year. Or will it create rust and cause him to lose a step which was not as big of a deal for Lunch. Watching One Hers drive though  I realized Bell is nothing at all like what I expected, thoughtful intelligent balanced motivated. I starting having dreams of his HOF induction

44 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I think he is good but not sure I'd go there