Stefon Diggs might want out of Minnesota (MERGED)

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I would definitely swap Scherff for Leonard in a heartbeat. I wonder if they'll let him walk, this is why I'm so mad we didn't got all in for Norwell or any of the other OL to hit the market recently.

Yep. 

If I were the Skins and I actually believe in Haskins - I resign Scherff first thing.

• Upvote 1

Vikings window is this year and next year. They wont be parting w any good players till after next year.
They will win in chicago sunday and on their way to a division title.
If they can keep their D mostly intact, maybe that window starts in 2021 when they're out from under Cousins. He's exceedingly average on his good days, even with a strong run game.

KFAN In Mnpls is discussing rumors that Patriots are heavy into talks to acquire Stephen Diggs from Vikings.   

Diggs started following Brady and other Pats on Twitter.    Where there is smoke is there fire?

Makes sense for NE.   Not sure why Vikings would give him up unless they get a nice hall in draft picks.   We are thin at WR already. 

Could the New England Patriots Acquire Stefon Diggs?

October 1, 2019ook

Stefon Diggs CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - SEPTEMBER 29: Stefon Diggs #14 of the Minnesota Vikings looks on before the game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on September 29, 2019 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs could use a change of scenery. The talented wideout is reportedly unhappy in Minnesota and requested a trade a few days ago. Former ESPN producer Mo Chanel reported that the Patriots are inquiring about Diggs, and the former fifth-round pick posted an interesting mix of photos over his various social media platforms.

While Chanel isn’t as well-known as Ian Rapoport and Adam Schefter, this wouldn’t be his first time breaking news. Chanel reported that the Steelers were trying to trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick days before the trade officially took place. It appears like Diggs’ time in Minnesota is coming to an end, so let’s take a look at if the Patriots could acquire Diggs and how they could use him.

b7hjHH47_bigger.jpg

I’m hearing from multiple sources that the #Vikings and the #Patriots are deep into trade talks that will send star WR Stefon Diggs to New England – Which would be a giant add to the Patriots rather thin WR depth chart #NFL100

With Brady seeming upset about the #Patriots cutting AB and the performance the offense had today – They know it’s time to add another weapon, per source.

Examining a New England Patriots, Stefon Diggs Trade Scenario

It’s easy to see why New England would be interested in a player like Diggs. Based on raw talent alone, Diggs is one of the best wide receivers in the entire league. He possesses the speed to take the top off the defense and has the potential to break off a big play every time he touches the ball.

The big-play element is nice, but what truly sets Diggs apart is his elite route-running prowess. There aren’t many in the league better at using their feet and body language to force separation from opposing defensive backs. When combined with his legs, Diggs has the tools to be one of the most complete, well-rounded receivers in the league.

Minnesota might have the best receiver duo in football, but head coach Mike Zimmer is not using them to their fullest potential. Zimmer wants to be a run-first team, and Kirk Cousins isn’t playing well when given the opportunity to throw. These factors have ruined Diggs’ production, and he’s looking for a new home to maximize his talents.

On paper, New England would be a perfect fit. The Patriots have a solid receiving trio in Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon, and Phillip Dorsett, but they could use another body following the failed Antonio Brown experiment. Diggs is under contract until 2023 and the Patriots have an absurd amount of draft picks in 2020. In theory, New England could just ship over a pick and bolster their receiving corps. However, there’s one big obstacle standing in the way of a Stefon Diggs trade.

Making Money Work

The Patriots are a little strapped for cash at the moment. According to @patscap, New England has just $1.2 million in available cap space. Stefon Diggs, meanwhile, carries a $9.48 million cap hit if traded, according to Over the Cap. $1.2 million is hardly enough to cover in-season expenditures, so freeing up cap space for Diggs won’t be easy.

One of the ways New England can lower Diggs’ cap number is by converting his salary into a signing bonus. If the Patriots do that, then they can lower his cap hit to just over $2 million, according to SB Nation’s Brian Phillips. This makes it easier to add Diggs to the 2019 payroll, but it increases his cap number in the subsequent seasons. Even if Belichick thinks the short-term financial relief is worth it, the Patriots would still need to clear additional cap space in 2019 in order to trade for Diggs.

Acquiring Stefon Diggs would be nice, but it looks like nothing more than a pipe dream. Thanks to New England’s low cap number, the Patriots simply cannot afford to bring Diggs aboard. The Patriots basically had one chance to add a big-name wide receiver, and they placed their bets on Antonio Brown. That wager didn’t work out, as Brown is gone but his $4.5 million in dead cap space remains. Belichick always does his due diligence, so it’s not surprising that the Patriots reportedly reached out about Diggs. However, it’s hard to imagine New England actually making a move considering their current financial woes.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams for Stephon Diggs.

salaries add up- we don’t have pay Robby that money, and get a better receiver and Leo is gonna walk anyway- we’d lose that comp pick but we’d secure a better player with a hefty but worthy contract signed long term

they play mostly a 4-3 with Hunter on one side and Everson Griffen on the other.  Hunter is a solid DE just short of elite.  Griffen is very good at 31 and they have him for 2020 and 2021 at about $13 per year.  Or buy Leo and pay him what, exactly?   Honestly... I'd rather have 31 yr old griffen at $13 million for the next 2 yrs than Leo. And Minny is set at both DT positions as well.  They have no use for Leo.  This two-for-one from a non-Jets fan standpoint is really a bad deal for Minny. 

• Sympathy 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:46 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed but he is a really good wr. Not an elite speed guy but a great route runner that is wasting away because Zimmer hates scoring points. 

He'd be a great weapon for Darnold and he's still only 25..

How soon before the Patriots trade away their backup long-snapper for Diggs?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

the article doesn't think NE can afford Diggs. But Brady to Diggs would be deadly.  Watch Belicik connive a way to get it done.

Let's be real.  The Patriots don't have a salary cap.

Smoke and mirrors.  Slight of hand. Bribe of Goodell.  Whatever you want to call it....they figure out ways to make it happen.  Tom Brady will retire in 2 years and be hired to a front office job that pays him $12M per year.  He'll work 4 hours per week with 6 months vacation.

magic GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, David Harris said:

Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams for Stephon Diggs.

salaries add up- we don’t have pay Robby that money, and get a better receiver and Leo is gonna walk anyway- we’d lose that comp pick but we’d secure a better player with a hefty but worthy contract signed long term

giphy.gif.9401b1f43891eb6e0e0178cafdee7aea.gif

• Haha 1

the article doesn't think NE can afford Diggs. But Brady to Diggs would be deadly.  Watch Belicik connive a way to get it done.

Tom Brady decides to again take a lower team friendly deal ... instead of the bull$h*t 10 mil he will now receive 5 mil a year

In other news sales at TB12 over-night skyrocket by 50% more

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:18 PM, Joe Willie said:

I think shoring up the OL is more important than another WR. Without decent protection, Sam will be vulnerable and could be hurt, big time. In that case, another WR wouldn't matter much.

Making a move to get Diggs doesn’t stop you from fixing the Oline. It just gives you another core piece to build with imo .

• Upvote 2

Anderson plus a 2nd round pick for Diggs would be a pretty good trade for both teams. Since the Vikings are trying to win this year they will definitely need a good WR back in any trade.  A guy like Anderson would fit nicely into their offense as a compliment to what Thielen does. 

Diggs >>>>>>> Anderson 

I don't think Diggs is angling for a trade to a good team, I think he wants to be traded to a team that will use him properly. And Diggs in NY would be the clear #1 on a team that is way more interested in passing the ball than the Vikings under Zimmer who is a "my way or the highway" type of coach.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2019 at 12:56 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Vikings window is this year and next year. They wont be parting w any good players till after next year.

They will win in chicago sunday and on their way to a division title.

Nostradamous 

• Upvote 1