Would you TRADE Sam for the #1 pick?

PepPep

Hypothetical proposed by...

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/1/13/21033580/would-you-joe-burrow-sam-darnold-new-york-jets-hypothetical-trade

Personally, I would not. I know what we have in Sam, we are lucky enough to have gotten him and we need to build round him. As good as Burrow may become, he is a huge question mark. 

But I know there are a lot of Burrow fans out there and a lot of Darnold doubters who may disagree. 

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

No that would be going backwards.You need to build around him which we haven’t done yet.  At this point we live and die with him.  Nothing against Burrow he might turn out to good but my personal belief is that we have a good one already who has been put in a tough situation but still makes us hopeful 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

No - Burrow is older than Sam and would have the same success behind this oline - worst idea since Mac drafted a DT at #3 - need to address positions of need

Also can't trade anyone until JD proves he can draft, we know the scout team is terrible based on the last decade

The QB market will be interesting this year...

LOL 

Hell no

Burrow isn’t even the same level of prospect that Darnold was coming out, and I like Burrow.

Burrow plays on arguably the most stacked roster in the country. Nearly half of the dudes starting on that team will be playing in the NFL.

He has like 4 different receiversa TE and at least 1 RB who will be drafted over the next 2 years. Not to mention the OL.

Meanwhile Darnold’s top targets in the passing game at USC were dudes like Deontay Burnett and Tyler Petite. Burnett didn’t get drafted and has bounced from practice squad to practice squad and Petite probably won’t get drafted either.

Put together a solid OL so Darnold isn't being harassed on every dropback and grab another reliable receiver besides Crowder and he’ll flourish. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Hypothetical proposed by...

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/1/13/21033580/would-you-joe-burrow-sam-darnold-new-york-jets-hypothetical-trade

Personally, I would not. I know what we have in Sam, we are lucky enough to have gotten him and we need to build round him. As good as Burrow may become, he is a huge question mark. 

But I know there are a lot of Burrow fans out there and a lot of Darnold doubters who may disagree. 

Thoughts? 

You ought to be banned for 30 days for this thread....?

• Post of the Week 1

here's the thing.  the way the qb salaries are going, the jets will most likely have to pay darnold a boatload long before they actually win anything.  i'll be an optimist and say they'll make the playoffs and should have a pretty good run but in year 5 of darnold's contract he will need to be re-signed or let walk.  getting a top qb prospect now for darnold shouldn't be the plan because even if the jets were stacked it would take a season or two for the rookie qb to reach the same experience level that darnold has.  however, getting a good prospect every 3 or 4 seasons isn't a bad plan because it prepares the team for if and when the qb opts for free agency.  a qb on his rookie deal will cost way less than a vet.  and two top tier qb's on their rookie deals will also cost less than a highly rated nfl vet qb.

and this speaks to draft allocation.  should the jets draft a qb this draft?  probably not but next season it would be wise for them to spend a reasonably high draft pick on one.

• Upvote 2

No, but not because of anything to do with Darnold. Drafting a QB is easy. Developing one is hard. The guy coaching the team can't develop one so...why do it? 

He'll be fired after he ruins Darnold and then the new coach who is hopefully competent can try to develop the next guy.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

I like Darnold.

But Mac blew it with the roster both leading up to and after picking Darnold.

By the time the roster improves, Darnold will be owed too much money.

Getting Burrow for Darnold and keeping the other draft picks gives the Jets an opportunity to build a team with 3-4 years of a rookie contract.  

This is not about Darnold.  Its about constructing a competitive roster under the salary cap.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Well with Sam, we’ve already wasted 2 years of his rookie contract. So getting Joe B buys us a couple of years to win with a cheap QB. But we’d be putting Joe in a similar situation. 

It’s close but I would say no. As a fan, I’m already vested in Sam. I want us to win with him. 

• Upvote 1