Sams contract next year

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

I’m curious about this as well but everyone stresses too early about these contracts here. Fifth year option definitely gets exercised with threat of a tag after that- it’ll all depend on what he shows the next one to two years

Goff signed a 4/$134m extension which seems aggressive. We see what Dak is demanding. If Sam breaks out he could be asking for astronomical money as well 

24 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

While everyone is going bananas over Adams potential deal, what do we think Sams deal will look like next year? Could it be something like 5 years for $100m would be fair I think. Especially if he has his breakout year 

He has a good year there is no way he signs that.  $140 /4 is the best you can hope for.  

I also think it will be fully guaranteed.  After cousins last deal I believe that is the way we are heading.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

While everyone is going bananas over Adams potential deal, what do we think Sams deal will look like next year? Could it be something like 5 years for $100m would be fair I think. Especially if he has his breakout year 

He'll have to have a VERY good year to get that number.

31 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He wanted the same contract language that others got. And I believe he got it.

So I don't think he held out for nothing.

Flip it and reverse it. He wanted language in the contract that no one else got and he did not get it. He wanted to be able to double dip if he got cut by being paid twice. His agent was trying to front like a big shot and was pissed other QB's like Josh Allen didn't demand it so he had to cave.

• Upvote 2

Why would Darnold get a new contract next year?  Even if he blows it up like Mahomes, he'll still be waiting for another year at the very least. We have him under contract for cheap over the next three years, and then we can franchise him for another year.

There is absolutely no reason to extend him next year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That’s for sure but his backend 8 last year were like 2000k yards / 15 TDs (2 rushing) / 4 INTS / 61.4 % — If he continues the trend he’s golden and I’m ordering wings for all of us 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're joking, right? 5-100 is 20M per year. That would make Sam the 19th highest paid QB by average value... and that's without counting Mahomes, Watson and Dak, who are currently paid less but about to be paid way more, so make that 22nd.

The only current NFL starters who both (1) earn less than 20M per and (2) aren't on a rookie deal are:

Foles

Fitzpatrick 

Tyrod Taylor

That's it. That's the list. If Sam has a "VERY good year" his agent would laugh at a 20M per offer (and would be right to). No chance the Jets could get away with paying that low if he plays well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Why would Darnold get a new contract next year?  Even if he blows it up like Mahomes, he'll still be waiting for another year at the very least. We have him under contract for cheap over the next three years, and then we can franchise him for another year.

There is absolutely no reason to extend him next year. 

Of course there is - you can get a better deal when you extend early, since you're buying out your controlled years

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That would make Sam the 19th highest paid QB by average value... and that's without counting Mahomes, Watson and Dak, who are currently paid less but about to be paid way more, so make that 22nd.

not bad for the 27th rated guy

• Haha 1

If Sam plays like he has, Sam will get paid based on his potential more than his actual play.   He will be our Matt Stafford  

If the Jets want to keep Adams, the call could be to extend him for 3 years using this years money and then extend Darnold next year for 140/4, maybe three years guaranteed.  

Then we have the franchise tag and can hopefully draft defensive impact players Adams can walk after that. 

His agent will want something big and will make Sam test the JETS like Revis did. Hopefully Joe D and Chris Johnson have the guts for it and a backup like Flacco that they can call his bluff on for a few games.

I would guess Darnolds agent draws the line at 3yr 100mil fully guaranteed