Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

By CHANCE LINTON May 22, 10:14 PM

Coming off back-to-back Pro Bowl appearances, Jamal Adams is seeking a contract extension ahead of the fourth NFL season. But the New York Jets are reportedly unwilling to budge on a new contract this offseason, preferring instead to wait until 2021.

With tension growing between the two sides, trade talks appear to be heating up for the former LSU standout. Longtime NFL writer Gary Myers reported Friday that the Baltimore Ravens are among the teams that have been in discussions with the Jets about a potential trade for Adams.

This comes just one day after Myers reported that there was friction between Adams and the Jets after the two sides had come to a stalemate in contract discussions.

“Sources told me today Jets have given no indication they will sign All-Pro S Jamal Adams to new contract in offseason,” Myers tweeted Thursday. “Want to wait to make decision. He wants contract now. Stalemate has caused friction & sources said trade very possible. It's expected half the teams will call Jets.”

The Ravens’ interest in Adams should not come as a surprise as Baltimore reportedly pursued a trade for the star defensive back ahead of the NFL trade deadline last season.

Adams was angered by reports that the Jets had been taking calls on his availability at the NFL trade deadline, and trade rumors surrounding the 24-year-old have not died down since. Last month, however, Joe Douglas maintained that he wants Adams to be a Jet for the rest of his career, and plans to have conversations with Adams and his representatives in the near future.

"My stance on Jamal hasn't changed," said Douglas while talking about the Jets' NFL Draft haul. "At some point, we're going to get with him and his representatives. ... He's an outstanding player. We would like him to be here a long time."

On several otherwise hapless Jets teams, Adams has been not only the franchise’s best player, but one of the best safeties in the NFL outright. He has made two consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, following up a second-team All-Pro season in 2018 with first-team All-Pro honors last season.

In 14 games last season, Adams notched 75 tackles, including career-highs in both tackles for loss (10) and sacks (6.5), to go along with 13 quarterback hits, seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles. He also scored a pair of defensive touchdowns on a pick-six and fumble return, respectively.

Adams was selected by the Jets with the No. 6 overall pick in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft following a decorated college career at LSU. He spent three seasons with the Tigers, amassing 209 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, two sacks and five interceptions over 36 career games, garnering second-team All-America honors as a junior before declaring for the NFL Draft.

A former five-star recruit out of Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas, Adams was ranked as the No. 32 overall prospect and No. 2 safety in the country for the 2014 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He was also the fifth-ranked player in the Lone Star State.

https://247sports.com/Article/Jamal-Adams-trade-rumors-New-York-Jets-Baltimore-Ravens-in-discussions-147436358/

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

In today’s nfl a player like Jamal can take a team like the ravens to the super bowl, but does little for us, albeit as spectacular a player as he is. Two #1s and that’s a wrap.

Adams would be about the 10th most important player on Baltimore.  There is zero chance anyone is giving us two 1st for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

From a purely draft points perspective, even a 1st round pick and a 2nd from the Ravens is not a good deal for the jets. Think about it, according to the NFL draft point chart, see below:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/nfl-draft-pick-points-chart/

The number 6 pick was worth 1600 points, and in all likelihood, the Ravens pick, barring any picks from trades, compensatory picks, etc..., will likely be a late first round pick, I suggest they will likely be in the AFC playoff game; thus picking towards the last four picks, worth roughly 640 points. Similarly, a second round pick for the Ravens will similarly be towards the end of the second, worth roughly 300 points. Thus, from a pure draft points perspective, it is not a great deal.

Yeah, Jamal wants out, but they control him for the next 3 years--1 contract year, and two potential franchise tags--they are not at his mercy, despite what the many pundits are saying.

Let's consider trading a multiple time NFL pro-bowler, and the risks associated with any first round pick, let alone one towards the end of the first round. Why make such a deal? Jets are letting Jamal dictate a bad decision on their part. This would not happen to other teams, i.e., the Pats, Chargers, or Packers, etc... In terms of what the Jets get, why give up a home run for a risk in the draft--perhaps if it was done this year, with a loaded draft and a true need a receiver, maybe I would understand it. 

Now let's look at the Jets track record with first and second round picks and home runs: Milner?? Sanchez?? Geno??? Hill???? RIchardson??? Wilkerson???, and we could go on and on. The Jets need to stand firm---I do not believe in breaking a contract just because you are better than expected. Mahomes is waiting, so should Jamal. The Jets should show what they are prepared to do next year: i.e., $100 million, 70 guaranteed, or something of that sort, but stick to their guns and point out they control him for three years---if he plays too tough, he will holdout for how long??? Is he willing to trash a potential hall of fame career??? I say he should stick to his contract, and the Jets should not be the Jets and let a star go for a gamble--even if it is for two first round picks. The Jets need to act like a professional organization. If he holds out, he is the one the looks awful---Melvin Gordon much??? Terrell Owens???

In terms of comparable deals, the Vikings got four picks for Diggs (admittedly, they did give back a 7th though). I say Jamal is more valuable to the Jets than Diggs was to the Vikings. The Texans got RB Johnson and a second for Hopkins (the teams traded fourth round picks)---most believe the Texans were torched in that deal, at least in terms of raw talent (of late, there is talk of locker room issues with DHop--yeah, yeah???). The Jets should not trade away their bast player. If the new salary cap numbers come out soon, then talk turkey, but they should not let him slip away, or let him dictate their future. 

In the end, the Jets shouldn't put themselves at the mercy of a player under contract---he should honor the contract he signed!!! 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It’s interesting that a non-traditional source of Jets news has been reporting on Adams-related news suddenly over the past week. That could make his reporting credible. Question is, who is giving him this info outside of the traditional channels and why?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ECURB said:

So how does the “we hate Jamal” crowd feel about a good team trading for him?

if a front office like the Ravens will pay him....

We continue to feel like he's a complete selfish douchebag who will only become more and more of a cancer to the locker room as time goes on. Time to stomp out the fire.

If we can fleece anybody for a first and anything ...it's a bargain and a great deal. If not I will take any player who's not an a$$hole like Jamal Adams and a second and third round pick.

Just get rid of this total Ass Clown already please!?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Ravens are a Super Bowl contender.  We're not.

I feel good about the Raven's interest.  A #1 and a #2 will make it happen if I'm GM.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Also, any team that would give up that price for Jamal is insane, but that’s his worth. The jets will not get enough value for him. They should just make him play and revisit next year. You don’t take a crappy trade because you fear you might lose him. That’s what stupid teams do.

Agreed.  I’m not a big Adams fan but I’m not trading him for a crappy return just to get rid of him.  Thankfully Douglas knows what he is doing 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Romanese said:

From a purely draft points perspective, even a 1st round pick and a 2nd from the Ravens is not a good deal for the jets. Think about it, according to the NFL draft point chart, see below:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/nfl-draft-pick-points-chart/

I don't care what anyone or any chart says about value here. If someone offers a 1st and a 2nd for him, you take it and never look back. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm not outright doubting you, you're a smart guy, but you're gonna have to name the other nine.

Lamar Jackson

Mark Ingram

Mark Andrews

Ronnie Stanley

Orlando Brown

Calais Campbell

Matt Judon

Marhsall Yanda (since retired)

Marlon Humphrey

Marcus Peters

Earl Thomas

• Haha 2

I would be very surprised if any team was in a rush to trade high picks for any player right now and then pony up a huge contract, at a time when the salary cap is very possibly going to plummet next year, forcing many teams to have to release good players because they can't pay them all under the 2021 cap.  I just don't see BAL as making that kind of silly decision.  

The issue right now, is nobody is getting signed for big, long-term money.  Not Dak, not Jamal.  Nobody.  And Jamal is pissed because now he's stuck waiting.  That isn't the Jets' fault, but apparently they are the bad guys to him.  It's a shame.  Regardless, I seriously can't see a trade happening without a massive contract, and I just can't see that happening at all right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Jamal’s Twitter has been pretty quiet as of late...no shots, no subliminals, no complaining....while Im sure he may feel some type of way, he sure isn’t publicly.

Which means he or his agent are feeding this directly...and ok, maybe.

I just get a really bothersome strong feeling that some media are filling in the gaps and making assumptions. It appears that there is a lot of narrative steering going on. It’s almost as if they want a trade because.., “sameolejets” and stuff. “Jamal wants to go to Dallas cause he’s from there and now Ravens are in the mix cause they gave ties with JD and why wouldn’t he trade with his ex’s?!” THE SH/T REEKS OF SPECULATION.

Jamal is a great young player. A tad overrated at a position of not the highest priority, but his name gets said A LOT and, “he MUST be the greatest safety to ever put on pants cause Stephen A. and  Shannon Sharpe say so.”

Id just hate to see him go because they aren’t communicating behind the scenes enough. But if the price is right and it’s in our best interest...it won’t be the first bout of heartburn this franchise has given me.

• Upvote 1

Jamal Adams is friends with Ryan Clark.  Ryan Clark is a former NFL player.  Both know how things are received publicly.  When rumors of a trade were swirling last year, Clark spoke to Adams and then went in front of TV cameras to tell the world Adams was excited to go to the Cowboys.  Was this a way of letting Dallas know he wanted to be there without having to come out and say it himself?  You'd be very naive to rule out that possibility.

So Jamal Adams refused so speak to his coach and GM because they didn't hang up the phone on a private call to check on his availability. How should the Jets fell about Adams streaming live and not "hanging up" when a former player talked to him about going to another team?

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, ECURB said:

That it's a bad move for the Ravens, but one that's specifically designed to exploit the likely, very small, window you have with Lamar Jackson before you decide what you want to do with him re: 2nd contract.  So, at least there's a train of logic to follow.

• Upvote 2