Jordan Willis is out

Scoop24

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Even better than The Mann? I dunno, that's a tall order.

good players don't get a second contract.   Mann will be long gone.   Jets will probably sign Shane Lechler out of retirement talking about how great he was 20 years ago.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Then why is he taking the worst of a pick swap to salary dump a player he could have cut for free anyway?

I'm not a cap wizard by any means, but I believe that we saved $865,000 off the 2020 cap by trading Willis, and saved $2.5M by trading McLendon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Better chance of those 2 6th rounders helping us in the future than 35 year old Steve McLendon or fringe roster fodder like Jordan Willis.

That is just not a good football argument in any way shape or form...want to break down how many 6th rounders turn into starters as a percentage? 

32 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I am confused. Isn't a 2021 7th worth about the same as a 2022 6th without the player?

That's exactly what I was thinking. This looks like the kind of trade you do when you're trying to dump a players salary. If we are on the clock in the 7th rd this year and a team wants that pick, a 6th the following year is pretty standard compensation. So why the hell did we trade a player for this? 

So we basically traded a player for the right to move back in the draft an entire year?Wtf

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I applaud JD's efforts. He is not sitting back idly watching the team go to sh*t. No, he's building a team. Just what he said he would do. He's not sitting back with images of Trevor Lawrence dancing in his head. No. He is packaging guys who will not be on the team next year with 7th round picks to upgrade to a 6th round pick. For a GM that feels he can find talent in the later rounds it is significant to move up from the 7th to 6th round. He is not resting on his laurels. He is doing the hard work. Paying attention to details. And basically, doing whatever he can to make sure he can build a winning team. Bravo JD!  This is what a real GM does. No magic elixirs. No quick fixes. No. You have to put in the work.

yes-rudy1.gif

SAR is rubbing off on you. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's accumulating late round picks in 2022 bc there are 9 teams scheduled to be over the cap next year.  6 of which are at least 10 million over the cap. The Jets have enough cap space to trade for veterans who otherwise would've been cap casualties thus the accumulation of late round picks. It's a strategy, along with the early draft picks they have,  to get better quicker. 

18jwl2.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The discount rate for future picks is about a round a year. The difference between the presumably good 49ers likely low sixth rounder and the presumably bad Jets likely high seventh rounder is about a handful of slots.

Douglas might be a complete idiot.

No, he's freeing a roster spot and saving a bit of cap while slightly improving his draft capital.  Geesh, some guys are glass half empty sorts, 24/7.    

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

No, he's freeing a roster spot and saving a bit of cap while slightly improving his draft capital.  Geesh, some guys are glass half empty sorts, 24/7.    

Except he didn't improve his draft capital and he could have freed the roster spot and saved the money by releasing the player. He's doing stuff for the sake of looking like he's doing stuff. That seems like a bad sign. You guys are eating it up. That's business as usual.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

18 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Except he didn't improve his draft capital and he could have freed the roster spot and saved the money by releasing the player. He's doing stuff for the sake of looking like he's doing stuff. That seems like a bad sign. You guys are eating it up. That's business as usual.

Are you misreading the deal? Sure seems like it. 

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I am confused. Isn't a 2021 7th worth about the same as a 2022 6th without the player?

True, the 2001 7th round pick and 2022 6th round pick are roughly equivalent, so basically Jordan Willis got traded for nothing.  But maybe there is a human angle.  Jordan Willis might be a nice guy and by packaging him along with the draft pick he now has a team to report to.  His Wikipedia page will call  him a SF 49er, not an ex-NFL player.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Scoop24 said:
Getting anything for him is kinda impressive.

Admittedly I have given up on this team to the point that I don't even bother watching them and just follow them on this site (haven't been able to get through more than 10 minutes of a game without wanting to gouge my eyes out).   But Who the F*** is Jordan Willis?

Good GM's develop a decent rapport with other GM's. They make little deals around the league for what's called future consideration.

So we help them out if they're in a little spot and we have a surplus at a position of need. In turn they get to know each other and during the draft or if any real trades need to be made they've already developed a dialogue.

Yes sir that's networking for ya!!

• Upvote 1