JD's Dilemna

addage

JD faces a massive decision this spring.  (At least I hope he is making the decision--not the Johnson's and not somebody new).

1.  He can decide that Trevor Lawrence is the greatest thing since sliced bread and draft him with the the #1 overall pick.  He trades SD for a loaf of stale bread feed same to boo birds.

2.  He decides TL isn't really any better a prospect than SD.  He keeps Darnold and trades the pick for extra draft choices.  Bolsters the roster at OL, WR and RB.  And sends the Jets on their way.

3.  He tells SD that he believes in him, but he has to sign a team friendly contract now.  If not, he will draft a qb even though he thinks they are about the same in athletic ability.  The new qb comes at a cheaper price.  JD has a lot of time on his deal and he can use it to build more slowly.  AS above, he can feed the stale bread to the boo birds.

4.  He can draft TL but let him sit for the start of the season.  SD starts as qb for 2021.  He really focuses all resources to bolster the O (letting the D sit in poor state) as in case 2.  He show cases SD and trades him for higher value.  He also can decide that SD is a keeper (if that's how it plays out).  Then he trades TL for players/picks.

Life as a GM is tough--though well paid.  His reputation as a GM certainly will be set by his decisions this spring.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The people who are defending Darnold on here or trying to come up with some dreamy scenario in which Darnold gets to sill be the starting QB of the NYJ next year seem to treat him as a rookie. It's as if we have only seen him this season, surrounded by the worst team in football. There seems to be no admission of the fact that he's in his third year and has started more that twice as many games as Burrow and Herbert combined.

The argument seems to be "Let's surround Sam with multiple first round draft picks and top tier free agents before we decide if he COULD be a good QB one day." Meanwhile, this only applies to Sam. Mitch Trubisky? Bust. Lamar Jackson? Limited. Daniel Jones? Mega bust. It's a very amusing form of cognitive dissonance. 

90% of the eedgits here crowned him a yearly Probowl/allpro candidate b4 he threw his 1st INT...   on his first pass.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Why are people even still mentioning Sam here next year? There are 5 YES 5 QBs potentially better than darnold. 

and besides based on contract status alone  he’s gone. Must be the casual part of the fan base ?‍♂️

thefan base is at least 85% football ignoramuses

Dilemma? 

Sam as a 3rd year Quarterback is ranked as the 32nd rated QB (dead last) in Quarterback Rating. 

Would you like to see which other QBs have been rated dead last during their respected year(s)?

Because it isn't pretty...

Single Season QB Ratings of QBs who were ranked 32nd and dead last dating back to 2000 of 20 years ago.

Sam Darnold: 65.9 (2020).
Andy Dalton: 78.3 (2019).
Josh Rosen: 66.7 (2018).
DeShone Kizer: 60.5 (2017).
Ryan Fitzpatrick: 69.6 (2016).
Ryan Mallett: 67.9 (2015).
Blake Bortles: 69.5 (2014).
Geno Smith: 66.5 (2013).
Matt Cassel: 66.7 (2012).
Blaine Gabbert: 65.4 (2011).
Jimmy Clausen: 58.4 (2010).
Jamarcus Russell: 50.0 (2009).
Derek Anderson: 66.5 (2008).
Kellen Clemens: 60.9 (2007).
Andrew Walter: 55.8 (2006).
Kyle Orton: 59.7 (2005).
AJ Feeley: 61.7 (2004).
Kordell Stewart: 56.8 (2003).
Joey Harrington: 59.9 (2002).
Jon Kitna: 61.1 (2001).
Ryan Leaf: 56.2 (2000).

Dilemma? What "dilemma"?

Where oh where are they now lol?

When you're in your 3rd year and still ranked 32nd and dead last amongst all NFL QB's and way behind even Rookie QB's?

There is no "dilemma"; it becomes a NO BRAINIER...

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

90% of the eedgits here crowned him a yearly Probowl/allpro candidate b4 he threw his 1st INT...   on his first pass.

The thing is, I was right there with them during his rookie year. I focused on the occasional flashes of brilliance and ignored the consistently poor play, hoping that he could flip the script and start consistently flashing. I wrote many times that you should give a guy you believe in three years to put it all together.

Well, here we are in year 3 and Sam hasn't put it all together. Not even close. 

• Upvote 1

NO SAM DARNOLD!!!!! I am fine with getting a HUGE draft haul auctioning off the #1 pick for a once in a lifetime QB prospect and signing a competent veteran QB that can coach up the young OL and offensive weapons.

A vet QB  would be priceless in a situation like building a young offense and teaching them about protections and things. 

• Sympathy 1

The only way Darnold is still on this roster after April is if the Jets win 2-3 games and pick outside the Top 2.

That’s literally it

Otherwise, he’s done here.

Hell, and even if they win a few games, I could see Douglas packaging picks to move up for Lawrence/Fields (even though I’d be against it).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only way Darnold is still on this roster after April is if the Jets win 2-3 games and pick outside the Top 2.

That’s literally it

Otherwise, he’s done here.

Hell, and even if they win a few games, I could see Douglas packaging picks to move up for Lawrence/Fields (even though I’d be against it).

Even then, I could see the Jets looking at the next tier of QB's like Lance, Wilson, Jones, etc.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

JD faces a massive decision this spring.  (At least I hope he is making the decision--not the Johnson's and not somebody new).

1.  He can decide that Trevor Lawrence is the greatest thing since sliced bread and draft him with the the #1 overall pick.  He trades SD for a loaf of stale bread feed same to boo birds.

2.  He decides TL isn't really any better a prospect than SD.  He keeps Darnold and trades the pick for extra draft choices.  Bolsters the roster at OL, WR and RB.  And sends the Jets on their way.

3.  He tells SD that he believes in him, but he has to sign a team friendly contract now.  If not, he will draft a qb even though he thinks they are about the same in athletic ability.  The new qb comes at a cheaper price.  JD has a lot of time on his deal and he can use it to build more slowly.  AS above, he can feed the stale bread to the boo birds.

4.  He can draft TL but let him sit for the start of the season.  SD starts as qb for 2021.  He really focuses all resources to bolster the O (letting the D sit in poor state) as in case 2.  He show cases SD and trades him for higher value.  He also can decide that SD is a keeper (if that's how it plays out).  Then he trades TL for players/picks.

Life as a GM is tough--though well paid.  His reputation as a GM certainly will be set by his decisions this spring.

If JD decides that Lawrence  isn't any better the Darnold, he needs to be fired BEFORE the draft.

Never understood the whole "Suck for Sam"  thing.  At USC Sam had problems with ball security, made bad decisions, Threw off the wrong foot, and didn't have much accuracy on the long ball.

When he cut down on the times he put the ball on the ground as a rookie I thought perhaps things were changing.   They haven't.  Oh well, time to move on.

• Sympathy 1

No dilemma at all,

if we draft one he takes Lawrence and trade darnold

if we draft 2nd we draft fields and trade darnold

am not sure about Douglas's temperament but I am concerned a bit about it re the coach.  He has to walk into CJ's office and say in no uncertain terms that gase has to go at the end of the year, no ifs ands or buts

• Sympathy 1

Once more, it comes down to talent evaluation--something in very short supply in Jet Land for the last 50 years.  If God decides to lift the curse and JD and company actually know what they are doing, and if either Trevor or Fields are truly special talents, then, of course, they have to pick one of them with either the first or second pick.  It goes without saying, we will need a new head coach and better talent in the WR room and OL.  Then maybe it will be fun to watch football again.  the Chargers have had some heartbreaking losses this year, but their fans have the pleasure of watching Justin Herbert do great things.  Miami might not make the playoffs, but Tua gives them a thrill.  Time to move on and take what we can get for Sam.  Wherever he goes, I hope he succeeds.

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No dilemma at all,

if we draft one he takes Lawrence and trade darnold

if we draft 2nd we draft fields and trade darnold

am not sure about Douglas's temperament but I am concerned a bit about it re the coach.  He has to walk into CJ's office and say in no uncertain terms that gase has to go at the end of the year, no ifs ands or buts

While the combination of the reporting structure and the stupidity of the Johnson family does make me nervous about them possibly keeping Gase, I think Lawerence's "camp" will ensure that is impossible.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry and Lawerence is as highly touted as Eli Manning and Elway were when they were faced with similar issues.  Will Lawerence always be going to a bad team even if he stays again - yes he will.  But there is no way that his family and his agent will see the Jets finish last and not reach out to JD and clearly explain that Gase cannot be there or they will force a trade.  

Gase isnt some coach who lost his QB and went 5-11, he is a complete and utter disaster who doesnt even understand 2020 football.  No chance these agents like either of their QBs come here if he is here.

Darnold is done as a Jet. He's shown nothing to prove that he's 'the guy' and can't appear to stay healthy.

Even if the Jets thought Darnold was as good a prospect as Lawrence or Fields(or Lance) - it makes no sense to keep Darnold around since his rookie contract is almost done and you'll have to take up a huge portion of your cap to keep him. Drafting one of the rookie QBs restarts the clock on that.

Darnold = poor man's Blake Bortles. It is what it is. Cut the rope, move along.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, addage said:

I just don’t see Douglas passing on Lawrence if he’s available with the jets pick. Not for nothing but I don’t recall making the same td passes that Flacco made last night.  Those are the passes that will keep teams from putting 8 in the box.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - got to love this board. Got take Sam, I mean TL. Suck for Sam, and Tank for Trevor. This is how bad franchises are maintained. Rinse repeat. People don't want to wait for the rebuild, but are eager to extend the sh*tty franchise.

If we get the #1 pick and you can trade TL for a boat load of picks you have to consider it. List the greatest sure fire QBs and the best and see how many of them had a Super Bowl win. Then list the mediocre QBs like Eli that won 1 or more. Then ask yourself what is the reason.

Luck was often injured because the line couldn't protect him; and he had no defense.

Marino never won the big game.

Elway only won the big game towards the end of his career - wouldn't last 4 seasons on the Jets :-)

Peyton won in the end on a great team that just needed a descent QB.

Brady's first SB he was basically carried.

Brady was a 6th round pick; Maholmes wasn't in the top of the draft.

The other thing to note is how much better the Jets looked when they had some real weapons. Consider what 2 extra firsts, and 2 extra 2nds could do to build a. team; not to mention we would still have a top 1st this year to as well. You have to see the whole picture not just the one player. While the QB is the most important position, it is still a team sport. Consider the flip side, we draft TL and he gets broken because the bad protection and lack of weapons and never wins it all (ala Luck).

If you are at #1 and aren't given a can't miss deal, yeah, you draft the guy; but you don't turn down the world for one player. It never works out. Besides, you can always bundle some picks in the following year or 2 for the next big QB.

Sunk cost is the reason why bad teams stick with Christian Hackenberg over Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

Also the reason why smart teams have Kyler Murray and not Josh Rosen

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I choose D as the best course of action.  

Pick up Darnold's 5th year option, thus you have two years worth of control.  You fire Gase and hire an offensive coach that can actually install a system.  Use the draft/FA to sure up the OL and get a No. 1 WR.  You sit Lawrence down, until he learns the ins and outs of the system.  If the last two MVP QBs can sit and learn, so can Lawrence.  

The whole idea is rebuilding Darnold's value because there will always be a market for QBs.  Trading Darnold now is selling low, when we can bring Lawrence along slowly enough, while also building the value of Darnold.  

The important aspect here is installing a system that is QB friendly and actually modern.  

• Sympathy 1

Or he takes Fields.

Option 3 sounds an awful lot like extending Mark Sanchez, and then drafting Geno Smith a year later.  Which worked out so well for us.  If we have the #1 pick, just pick the QB and move on from Sam.  It should not be that hard.

• Upvote 2