"Joe Douglas was a big factor in Saleh's decision"

rayzor

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Bottom line, someone impressed him. If he is good, does it matter whom? 

No of course not. It seems like he's a good coach, I just wish the Jets were a bit more transparent. Douglas being the deciding factor is far fetched, imo- especially if they're not going to offer any details.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I had thought this.....

First of all, I know NOTHING about Saleh. The first I ever heard his name was when there was a thread here on jetnation mentioning Saleh's name.

But I had figured all along that Joe Douglas would need to sell the job and himself to any potential top notch candidate.

What this tells me is that since JD came on board he's managed to change the reputation of the Jets? I think JD's last draft and the talent he secured also had a lot to do with it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How do you 'bond' over a 2 hour zoom call?

Typically what I do is not say anything for the entire meeting and then when it concludes I say “thanks everyone this was great,” to make it seem like I contributed. Then I give a thumbs up and a wave to the camera. Somehow I got promoted doing this so I’m guessing Saleh prob did something similar.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Im saying this sounds like PR bunk and if he actually thought Douglas was the better man to attach his career to than Justin Herbert that's either a lie or he wasnt offered the Charger job.

The article fails to explain what the big factor actually was, strategic vision etc. Again with the Jets, details are never offered.

Of course it's PR bunk!!  It's what PR Dept's do.

But think of the PR bunk that came out after they hired Gase.  Now those flacks had their work cut out for them.

2 hours ago, sciond said:

first time in a while I feel good about the future

I know, today was the first time in a while I wore a Jets tshirt. It took a while to find one, they were buried under clothes in my bottom drawer.

I will always be a Jets fan but the last 2 years I just didn’t need the “looks” from others......

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

NY Jets: Joe Douglas was a ‘big factor’ in Robert Saleh’s decision

by Justin Fried2 minutes ago Follow @JustinTFried The NY Jets surprised many by landing arguably the hottest name on the coaching carousel this offseason in former San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.
The Jets’ job, while appealing in many ways, wasn’t exactly considered to be the most attractive vacancy. Teams like the Los Angeles Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and even Atlanta Falcons all had arguably more appealing jobs.
  However, when all was said and done, the Jets sold Saleh on their job. Saleh wanted the Jets as much as they wanted him. And it seems as though a lot of that had to do with general manager Joe Douglas.
Douglas was reportedly instrumental in the hiring of Saleh despite having spoken to the guy for the first time just a week ago during their initial virtual meeting on the 8th.
As Bleacher Report’s Connor Rogers put it, Douglas was “a big factor” in Saleh’s decision to choose the Jets. Rogers said that there was “a mutual belief in each other.”

NY Jets general manager Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh formed a mutual respect for each other

Saleh wasn’t considered to be a serious contender for the Jets’ job going into the offseason. He was on their initial list of interviews, but it wasn’t until they spoke with him over Zoom that they realized they had found their guy.
Douglas and Saleh immediately hit it off with the two quickly forming a bond. At least, that’s per the words of The Athletic’s Connor Hughes who also said the Jets were “blown away” by Saleh in his interview.
More details emerged when Peter Schrager went on Good Morning Football Friday morning to discuss the Saleh hire. He said that Saleh “wanted the Jets job badly” after meeting Douglas.
He later hit it off with owner Christopher Johnson and team president Hymie Elhai solidifying the notion that there was no other place he wanted to be.
The Chargers had the selling point of the young, promising quarterback. The Jaguars had the allure of the No. 1 overall pick and a ton of future flexibility.
  The Jets? They had Joe Douglas. And that was clearly the best selling point of them all.
Douglas and Saleh seem to have a mutual respect for each other. And as Rogers put it, they each believe that together, they could truly change the culture of an organization that has inhabited the NFL’s basement for the better part of the past decade.
Yes ... it is completely arguable ... still ... glad JD is paying off.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Typically what I do is not say anything for the entire meeting and then when it concludes I say “thanks everyone this was great,” to make it seem like I contributed. Then I give a thumbs up and a wave to the camera. Somehow I got promoted doing this so I’m guessing Saleh prob did something similar.

+1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

How much do prostitutes charge for zoom sessions?

^asking for a friend.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Douglas and Saleh combination is at least a B grade. This team will be at least good in two years and improved next year min. And I’d bet money a playoff competitor within 3 min. 

is this like an A+ Super Bowl combo I dunno. Nobody should go that far but it’s something you can at least get excited about

imo.

My foot could improve this team even if it was amputated. *There's no way the Jets could possibly be any worse than this year. The only way to go is up. 

*Even if the W/L column is only up one game from last season. I say this for the old folks Jets community, where throwing down canes is the equivalent of throwing down the gauntlet.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Douglas and Saleh combination is at least a B grade. This team will be at least good in two years and improved next year min. And I’d bet money a playoff competitor within 3 min. 

is this like an A+ Super Bowl combo I dunno. Nobody should go that far but it’s something you can at least get excited about

imo.

I am just hoping for 500

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No of course not. It seems like he's a good coach, I just wish the Jets were a bit more transparent. Douglas being the deciding factor is far fetched, imo- especially if they're not going to offer any details.

Why is it far fetched?

Douglas has a huge reputation around the league. 

That isn’t obvious by now?

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why is it far fetched?

Douglas has a huge reputation around the league. 

That isn’t obvious by now?

I’d like to hear the rationale on how Joe Douglas and the Johnsons were more appealing than the greatest rookie QB season ever. 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d like to hear the rationale on how Joe Douglas and the Johnsons were more appealing than the greatest rookie QB season ever. 

Ok. 

The only thing I’d say is, regardless of you not being a fan of Douglas, the reality is that the league is. There’s a reason the Jets had to give him that enormous contract - people think he’s legit. It’s entirely conceivable that Saleh looked at all the draft capital and FA money the Jets have and preferred Douglas to Telesco going forward. 

The other thing is that Southern Cali is not for everyone. Given Saleh’s upbringing, personality, and background, I could easily see him preferring the NYC metro area to LA and I could easily see him being excited by a much bigger, more passionate fan base. 

9 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

One thing we can applaud Gase for.

I’m starting to wonder whether Macc bungled the HC process so much that CJ had already decided to move on but at that point believed he needed to wait for the draft. Hard to believe Gase starts and sours CJ on Macc so quickly that he goes from letting him gladly spend $100M one month to canning him the next. I suspect Gase’s role in this is exaggerated. 

Would actually be worse if CJ is so fickle and yet another reason the reporting structure should be different.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m starting to wonder whether Macc bungled the HC process so much that CJ had already decided to move on but at that point believed he needed to wait for the draft. Hard to believe Gase starts and sours CJ on Macc so quickly that he goes from letting him gladly spend $100M one month to canning him the next. I suspect Gase’s role in this is exaggerated. 

Would actually be worse if CJ is so fickle and yet another reason the reporting structure should be different.

Gase may have been an awful coach but he wasn’t an idiot. He recognized quickly that Mac had no idea how to build a team as soon as he wanted to overpay for an aging Bell. I believe CJ when he said he just couldn’t handle picking a head of football operations or a coach by himself so he had to hold on to Mac for the coach search. Luckily he listened to Gase on the Douglas recommendation. Also luckily Gase did such a bad job that he had to be fired despite any personal feelings the owner or GM may have had for him. Luck is often involved on how these decisions work out and now with Saleh it may finally be on the side of the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Gase may have been an awful coach but he wasn’t an idiot. He recognized quickly that Mac had no idea how to build a team as soon as he wanted to overpay for an aging Bell. I believe CJ when he said he just couldn’t handle picking a head of football operations or a coach by himself so he had to hold on to Mac for the coach search. Luckily he listened to Gase on the Douglas recommendation. Also luckily Gase did such a bad job that he had to be fired despite any personal feelings the owner or GM may have had for him. Luck is often involved on how these decisions work out and now with Saleh it may finally be on the side of the Jets. 

There it is, straight from the man's mouth. He should not have a HC reporting directly to him.

Gavel GIFs | Tenor