Wilson not a BYU captain

Paradis

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Here is what I would do:

-Trade Sam

-Trade down in draft

-Sign CJ Beathered

-Let Morgan and Beathered battle it out in camp

-Stack the heck out of this team with all the draft picks.

-Address qb in next years draft

this is by far the worst plan. do you always delay making tough decisions?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Here is what I would do:

-Trade Sam

-Trade down in draft

-Sign CJ Beathered

-Let Morgan and Beathered battle it out in camp

-Stack the heck out of this team with all the draft picks.

-Address qb in next years draft

I am good with this, i agree with it. However...

I can see people going after other QBs but how did cj beathered suddenly become a viable QB.

To be honest with you, I'm surprised.  This might matter much more than we think to JD when it comes to eval time with Zach Wilson.  I'm sure he'll ask his teammates through some channels and his head coach, as to why he wasn't a captain. Man I wish we could just have tanked for trevor or at least get a reasonable deal for Watson.  Seems like pipe dreams, but i guess  "no risk it, no biscuit" in the quest for a FQB.

24 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

To be fair Tony Pauline has a similar evaluation and Tony is the best in the business.

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN
Not only that, but Pauline is a Wilson fan and said that he’s a great kid according to people he’s spoken to, lmao.  
4E92FE3C-097C-4BBC-AE73-276DF3515766.thumb.jpeg.1c187d847b7154df4533d9872e225795.jpegF35B15FB-0D96-4D5B-B8E3-4068E2533740.jpeg.b758f2fcf99997da60910fc13fccfd17.jpeg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Honestly beat writers were always useless but they’re completely irrelevant in today’s social media interconnection society.

Dinosaurs who provide nothing.  

There are real reporters out there doing a good job, but Cimini has become lazy. Have you noticed that the sources for most of his stories nowadays are ESPN analysts and commentators?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's cool.  For every guy who "fell" and succeeded, like Marino or Aaron Rodgers, there are quite a few highly thought of fallers who failed, like Todd Marinovich, Patrick Ramsey, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, etc.

Wait....

....Patrick Ramsey failed?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ehh I really don’t see where you guys are coming from on this one. Seems like you’re forcing the dots to connect here. No real indictment on Wilson anywhere online or in tweets. Mostly just loud assumptions & baseless opinions.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Iowa had concerns about his character/fit in their program when recruiting him.  His Dad as well.  

Iowa ended up accepting a commitment from another QB a week or 2 before Wilson was to visit Iowa.  

That was a few years ago now.  He might very well be a different person.  But concerns about his personality are not out of thin air.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

It's important, and entertaining to see his teammates flame Cimini on twitter, but this comes down to McShay and bad reporting.

I mean, when you look up Wilson on google the first images all have him with a "C" patch. 

McShay has always been terrible, but if Cimini is right and McShay went to air with that clearly false (and easily verifiable) hit on Wilson, it’s pretty ******* embarrassing for ESPN. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paradis said:
 Rosen 2.0 

You know....when I first read about Wilson’s family being well off(something about JetBlue Airlines) and not being a captain and reportedly being a douche, Rosen is the 1st comparison that jumped into my head 

What I would really like to know is since when he’s become leaps and bounds a better prospect then Fields with no combine, and no pro day as of yet? ?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have no idea where the dude fits, but ff Fields is worth drafting at 8 then he's worth drafting at 2. 

Actually we should obsess over maximizing value, forego drafting a QB, and grab the best available defensive lineman. It’s called team building ever heard of it

• Haha 1

This is so easy to settle.  This is from SEP 4, 2020

https://www.si.com/college/byu/news/byu-football-names-eight-captains-in-2020

"On offense, senior tight end Matt Bushman, junior running back Lopini Katoa and junior offensive linemen Brady Christensen and James Empey were named captains. The defensive captains will be senior defensive lineman Khyiris Tonga, senior linebacker Isaiah Kaufusi and senior defensive backs Troy Warner and Zayne Anderson.

“These leaders were voted on and chosen by our team,” Sitake said. “The names aren’t surprising as these have been the guys leading our team this whole year. I am happy they’ve been recognized by their teammates and just pleased we have so many great leaders on our team.”

The eight additional players joining the captains as the team’s leadership council include Chris Wilcox (DB), Bracken El-Bakri (DL), Zach Wilson (QB), Gunner Romney (WR), Neil Pau’u (WR), Lorenzo Fauatea (DL), Baylor Romney (QB) and Payton Wilgar (LB).

So no, he was not a team captain and anyone trying to spin it differently is just outright lying to you.

Of note is that three of the offensive captains were juniors, so this wasn't an honor reserved for seniors only.

https://byucougars.com/story/football/1293995/kalani-sitake-announces-byu-team-captains-leadership-council

On offense, senior tight end Matt Bushman, junior running back Lopini Katoa and junior offensive linemen Brady Christensen and James Empey were named captains. The defensive captains will be senior defensive lineman Khyiris Tonga, senior linebacker Isaiah Kaufusi and senior defensive backs Troy Warner and Zayne Anderson.

“These leaders were voted on and chosen by our team,” Sitake said. “The names aren’t surprising as these have been the guys leading our team this whole year. I am happy they’ve been recognized by their teammates and just pleased we have so many great leaders on our team.”

I presume this was somewhat based on the 2019 season, when Wilson was hurt, so maybe it's not such a glaring thing, but it does seem odd that out of four captains, the QB wasn't one.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

A case of bad reporting

What a bizarre nothing burger of a story. 

Mcshay who says Wilson is a LOCK at two (whether us or anyone else) mistakenly says he wasn't a captain (there are pictures of him playing with the C on his chest, and his teammates have to correct record), and here we are five pages into a thread...

To give Paradis credit, it was more interesting than another thread about Sam's trade value. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

What a bizarre nothing burger of a story. 

Mcshay who says Wilson is a LOCK at two (whether us or anyone else) mistakenly says he wasn't a captain (there are pictures of him playing with the C on his chest, and his teammates have to correct record), and here we are five pages into a thread...

To give Paradise credit, it was more interesting than another thread about Sam's trade value. 

Not sure what's going on here.  I posted a link that clearly indicates Wilson was NOT voted a captain at the start of the season.  Perhaps he was added to that list later on.  

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not sure what's going on here.  I posted a link that clearly indicates Wilson was NOT voted a captain at the start of the season.  Perhaps he was added to that list later on.  

He clearly became one as he wore the patch...why fixate on this once that's clear?

I wonder if mcshay saw the same and didn't realize? Either way Mcshay is high on the guy so I don't understand why this is an angle Cimini would go....