Jets will get a 9th home game this year vs Eagles

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is particularly needed in the week leading up to a Thursday night game.  No NFL team should play on 4 days rest.

When you look at it from a sports performance and physical preparedness standpoint the intricacies of it are insane.  These athletes are doing hours of recovery protocols as it is just from the stress the actual game places on them.. It's really eye opening when you look at the science of load management and see that really no sport in the world handles it correctly.  It would be a pretty radical change in thinking and preparation if teams actually followed a synergistic approach to physical preparedness, load management, rehab protocols, and practice regimen, but it would yield crazy results.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I like it.  Add a real game and kill a preseason game.

Extra playoff is good too.  I never liked that the #2 seed got a bye.  

Add Two Games, kill the entire Preseason.

I like 0/18.  Retains that nice even-number symmetry.  Odd number of games just feels odd to me in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Adding more games to the schedule is bad for the players and the game IMO. Seems it's already written in stone at this point, unfortunately.

No it’s not, the pats played 2-3 more games than the jets for two decades and did ok 

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

how do they determine who is the home team?  did i miss that in the article?

I assume they would switch all AFC teams host the 17th game one season and NFC the next, otherwise they are putting teams at a competitive disadvantage for playoff standings.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

how do they determine who is the home team?  did i miss that in the article?

They will alternate the conference that gets the home games every year.  This year, the AFC team would be home for all of the 17th games, and next year the NFC teams will all be the home team.

If they aren't going to add a bye week then they should eliminate the Thursday game so teams aren't playing on four days of rest plus an extra game in the season. 

This will be good for fans if it brings more disparity among standings so the playoffs aren't two good teams, two ok teams and five 7-9 teams that split on SOS of the opponents' division champion's QB's college football team in 1948.

4 hours ago, Gibby said:

It was in the first line of the link. Actually it was the headline of the link.

It doesn’t say how it was determined though.  I understood it said the game was a Jets home game, I’m just curious as to how it was determined.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is particularly needed in the week leading up to a Thursday night game.  No NFL team should play on 4 days rest.

Tuesday night football makes more sense for players.

Thursdays for owners.

• Upvote 1

I've always been in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp with regard to number of games, number of playoff teams, etc. but the NFL is clearly all about more, more, more.

I'm just so accustomed to the final records being out of 16 -- gonna be a weird adjustment.

Eagles should suck next year but they own us so I'm not getting my hopes up.