At this point you almost have to trade Sam

I'l admit that I am a Darnold fan and do think he can be very successful in the NFL.  I really believe he wasn't given a fair shot in the NFL.  No QB coach, no weapons, 2 different head coaches and 2 different offenses in his short stint.  If he does stay, I think he can turn it around and he might be able to turn it around somewhere else.

With that being said, his confidence must be shot a this point the way that JD an Saleh are so non committal.  You DON'T act this way towards your starting QB as the GM or head coach and don't say you're open to calls.   Let's face it, QB's need their ego stroked a bit and confidence is everything for them AND the team.  By saying what has been said, and lack of commitment, they are undermining his credibility with the rest of the team.  All players, especially on offense, need to be all in with their QB.

Now maybe they are saying something different to Sam behind the scenes, who knows.  But if so, IMO this is a very dangerous game .  At the end of the day, unfortunately, I think he goes.  I am not sold they draft a QB early although if Sam is not the guy, not sure what other options they have but to do so.  I don't think the go Watson because of the asking price.  JD clearly stated, build the team through draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Sam was the 33rd ranked QB last year and the team went 2-14. If he’s a big boy he’ll understand why the starting job isn’t guaranteed to be his on March 4th.

Eh maybe so.  We are all humans.  not robots.  If you are passionate and love playing the game and competitive, doesn't matter how much logic is thrown your way, lack of support and confidence from the organization will effect you

There is truth to this. I mean if Sam is butt hurt, but believes in himself he can still gamble on himself by playing well this year and looking to sign elsewhere after. 

That would be so Jetsy....Sam has an pro bowl year and looks to be traded or sign elsewhere and we are left with no QB again.

This is why its just safer and more sensible to draft a QB and move on. If Wilson and Fields weren’t in this draft and we’re staring EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Jimmy Clausen, etc in the face then yeah keep Sam.

But we’re lucky enough to have good options in this draft without having to trade up.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Eh maybe so.  We are all humans.  not robots.  If you are passionate and love playing the game and competitive, doesn't matter how much logic is thrown your way, lack of support and confidence from the organization will effect you

Sam's not passionate, and I really think he doesn't enjoy the game.  he plays it because it is a job.

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Sam was the 33rd ranked QB last year and the team went 2-14. If he’s a big boy he’ll understand why the starting job isn’t guaranteed to be his on March 4th.

You don't need to guarantee anything for Sam or anyone else on the team.  But what you do need to do is to field an actual competitive team with competent players\coaches to get an adequate assessment.

If the Jets FO doesn't do their job, no one behind center will succeed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Sam's not passionate, and I really think he doesn't enjoy the game.  he plays it because it is a job.

If anything would ruin the enjoyment of football as a game, it's playing for Adam Gase and the Jets.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I don't get how GM's don't understand how to answer questions like this?  Simply say, there's no calls we don't pick up for anyone.  Just say he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least listen!

I think that is what he did say.  And if you are really considering trading Sam, although that's not really clear, wouldn't you want to encourage the bidding.  Doesn't mean you are going to make the trade.

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Agreed, we're all humans.  Uncertainty about whether you have job security should be incentive to work harder, not get worse.  He has a big 2nd contract as a reward to provide further incentive.  

Darnold was the unquestioned starter for the last 3 years.  How did that supposed confidence boost work out for him?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

That would be so Jetsy....Sam has an pro bowl year and looks to be traded or sign elsewhere and we are left with no QB again.

It would be far more Jetsy for the Jets to double down on Darnold this year and have it blow up in their faces.  Because that's actually happened before here.  The scenario you're talking about has never happened to the Jets.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

I am pretty sure JD has already informed Sam what the plan is. He’s not twisting in the wind. Let’s be realistic.

Duh. People need to use their common sense. Douglas said he had a long talk with Sam at the end of the year.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I'l admit that I am a Darnold fan and do think he can be very successful in the NFL.  I really believe he wasn't given a fair shot in the NFL.  No QB coach, no weapons, 2 different head coaches and 2 different offenses in his short stint.  If he does stay, I think he can turn it around and he might be able to turn it around somewhere else.

With that being said, his confidence must be shot a this point the way that JD an Saleh are so non committal.  You DON'T act this way towards your starting QB as the GM or head coach and don't say you're open to calls.   Let's face it, QB's need their ego stroked a bit and confidence is everything for them AND the team.  By saying what has been said, and lack of commitment, they are undermining his credibility with the rest of the team.  All players, especially on offense, need to be all in with their QB.

Now maybe they are saying something different to Sam behind the scenes, who knows.  But if so, IMO this is a very dangerous game .  At the end of the day, unfortunately, I think he goes.  I am not sold they draft a QB early although if Sam is not the guy, not sure what other options they have but to do so.  I don't think the go Watson because of the asking price.  JD clearly stated, build the team through draft.

Counter Argument:  No, you actually don't.

The NFL is a Big Boy League. 

If Sam can't play for us now because he was on the "we'll listen" block, then he was never Franchise QB material, mentally, in the first place.

It's fans more than players that treat all this like High School Melodrama.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like what Joe Douglas should do is paint the opening to a fake train tunnel on the side of a mountain near Sam’s house and let nature take its course

5th dimensional 3d but rendering in 4k chess, that is what Joe Douglas is playing right now.

Sheeple can't even see it and they be like Joe is overmatched. Joe isn't my GM.  Sit back and enjoy the show, we finally have a leader running this team.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

I think Sam knows this. It’s a production league, comes down to Wins and Losses regardless of the situation. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold twisting in the wind after Jets’ about-face

March 3, 2021 | 8:37pm 

Joe, I know your first instinct was to post this as a separate thread entitled “Steve Serby NY Post Sam Darnold Twisting In The Wind After Jets About-Face Sam Darnold Joe Douglas Robert Saleh Hymie Elhai NFL New York Jets Sam Darnold,” but instead you simply copied and pasted the title into this existing thread. I just want to say: I see you, and I’m proud of you.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We aren’t going anywhere next season anyway.....

SAR I

Not without the great Coach Gase, amirite? ?

I guess we're not gonna see the usual "I think we're starting 5-0, and going 12-4, and that's ok!" thread from you later this summer?

I am disappointed.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Douglas also said that Darnold is an "unbelievable talent who will achieve his outstanding potential."  People hear what they want to hear.

He didn't say at QB.  He might have meant as a plumber.

• Haha 2