Sam speaks about trade for first time

Just now, Wit said:

He’s always been honest and straightforward. He planned on being in NY forever and be hurt to know they didn’t want him. He probably also knows he didn’t produce to the level he would want to. Wish him well, but not if Zach Wilson sucks, then I need him to at least suck too. Oh and fields to suck. 

The guy we need to have suck is Tua.  Miami is going to be building quite a team.  

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I know we are turning the page, but some may be interested in his comments post trade.

https://www.panthers.com/news/sam-darnold-walking-into-a-good-situation-carolina

The last week of Sam Darnold's life has been a little bit of a blur.

So when he landed in Charlotte on Sunday afternoon to begin the next chapter of his football career, the new Panthers quarterback admitted he was still sorting out the way he felt about the trade that brought him from the Jets, an abrupt change to his career plan.

"There's a little bit of both — relief and excitement," Darnold said. "There's been so much uncertainty this offseason, not knowing what your future was going to look like, that was hard.

"But now that I'm in Charlotte, I'm excited, and yeah, I guess I am kind of relieved to be here."

For the 23-year-old quarterback, the mixed feelings come partly from the fact he never imagined being here. From the moment he was drafted third overall by the Jets in 2018, he figured he'd stay there his entire career and have great success, the way everyone does when they're drafted.

But the business of the NFL took over, and with the Jets earning the second overall pick in this year's draft, they made the decision to cast their lot with an even younger model (expected to be Brigham Young's Zach Wilson).

Darnold admitted that reality was difficult to swallow, but he saw the flip side of the transaction as beneficial, once he recalled the conversations with his agent during which the possibility of joining the Panthers emerged.

"Those conversations were tough," Darnold said. "I imagined I was going to be the franchise quarterback of the New York Jets for a long time. And once you realize that the team that drafted you is moving on, it stings a little bit."

The pain of that is soothed by the fact he's walking into what ought to be a good situation for any quarterback.

His former Jets teammate Josh McCown, who also played for the Panthers from 2008-09 and counseled Darnold through his rookie year in New York, pointed out a more subtle connection which could help with Darnold's transition to his new home.

The year before Darnold arrived in New York (2017), McCown was there when John Morton replaced Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. Morton's previous job was as the wide receivers coach with the Saints. As McCown explained, even after head coach Todd Bowles replaced Morton with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates in 2018, the passing game concepts for Darnold's rookie year remained consistent from the previous year, based on the Saints' principles which Brady grew up on. (Bates did adapt the Jets' running game that year, implementing more of the outside zone system the 49ers are running under Kyle Shanahan.)

"The stuff Sam was asked to do as a rookie is really similar to what Joe Brady and the Panthers want to do now," McCown said. "He really did have a comfort with that passing game, and he flourished in it.

"I think from a schematic standpoint, this could be a real sweet spot for Sam."

Darnold's still getting to know his new coaches, and is having his first full day of face-to-face interaction with them Monday. And while it's too soon to know what to expect this year, he acknowledged that McCown's point was valid.

"For sure, there are some similarities to what I did my rookie season," Darnold said of the film he's watched of the 2020 Panthers. "The system was good for me, and I felt like I settled in nicely."

But beyond any Xs and Os (or any Christians or Joes), Darnold said he mostly feels grateful to be in Charlotte, to have a chance to hit reset on his career at such a young age, and to be in a place where active steps were taken to acquire him.

"To go from being unwanted to being wanted is huge," Darnold said. "Getting that news that you're going to be traded, of a team saying, 'Hey, we didn't want you," for whatever reason, is hard.

"But right now, I feel great about it, and I'm excited to get here, and get started."

I have lived in Charlotte 25 years now...  I feel like  native.  So many people have asked my opinion of Robby Anderson and now Sam.

I think Sam will do OK here.  Jake Delhomme type talent.  He, IMO, can be a starter here for 6-10 years.  Just surround him with talent the way they did for Jake Delhomme.

I really hope he becomes a good long term pro bowl starter and wins a ring in his career. He’s the antithesis of the modern celebrity athletes who are me-first. 

Its a shame and as an organization the Jets ownership should truly feel embarrassed. When the Suck for Sam was alive and well and the Jets were tanking the media kept saying the same things they said this year in reference to Trevor Lawrence...

Stay in school! Demand a trade! If the Jets have the #1 pick. They proved them all right with the travesty they gave Sam.

Now with a seemingly real GM and HC and sense of organizational direction, we can right the ship and do right by Wilson. It remains to be seen, but maybe not drafting a bunch of safeties and IDL this draft would be a good first step.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

We wanted Sam to step up and be great.  This unwanted feeling sorry for yourself won't cut it in Charlotte either.  Who cares if they want you or not.  You want to be an elite NFL QB step up and pull the organization forward.  Sam's a nice kid.  We need a maniac, highly driven young man who's going to blow the doors off this team and the league, kick the door down and succeed.  

Sam may be too nice?  Great QB's usually aren't that nice.  Leadership and being great is often about pushing people beyond their comfort zone.  I'm not sure if Sam has that or not?  Hope the light goes on for him and he steps up.  He has a lot of talent.  It's the drive I always have wondered about.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How soon will I be before we hear Sam was depressed and sitting in a dark room by himself while his dad was calling his agent to get h put of there. 

Or....... that they’re moving on from Zack Wilson. ?. God I hope not- but would it really surprise anyone?

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really hope he becomes a good long term pro bowl starter and wins a ring in his career. He’s the antithesis of the modern celebrity athletes who are me-first. 

Its a shame and as an organization the Jets ownership should truly feel embarrassed. When the Suck for Sam was alive and well and the Jets were tanking the media kept saying the same things they said this year in reference to Trevor Lawrence...

Stay in school! Demand a trade! If the Jets have the #1 pick. They proved them all right with the travesty they gave Sam.

Now with a seemingly real GM and HC and sense of organizational direction, we can right the ship and do right by Wilson. It remains to be seen, but maybe not drafting a bunch of safeties and IDL this draft would be a good first step.

i hope he sucks next year. will get us better draft picks if he does. after that idc if he is good or bad

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I know we are turning the page, but some may be interested in his comments post trade.

https://www.panthers.com/news/sam-darnold-walking-into-a-good-situation-carolina

The last week of Sam Darnold's life has been a little bit of a blur.

So when he landed in Charlotte on Sunday afternoon to begin the next chapter of his football career, the new Panthers quarterback admitted he was still sorting out the way he felt about the trade that brought him from the Jets, an abrupt change to his career plan.

"There's a little bit of both — relief and excitement," Darnold said. "There's been so much uncertainty this offseason, not knowing what your future was going to look like, that was hard.

"But now that I'm in Charlotte, I'm excited, and yeah, I guess I am kind of relieved to be here."

For the 23-year-old quarterback, the mixed feelings come partly from the fact he never imagined being here. From the moment he was drafted third overall by the Jets in 2018, he figured he'd stay there his entire career and have great success, the way everyone does when they're drafted.

But the business of the NFL took over, and with the Jets earning the second overall pick in this year's draft, they made the decision to cast their lot with an even younger model (expected to be Brigham Young's Zach Wilson).

Darnold admitted that reality was difficult to swallow, but he saw the flip side of the transaction as beneficial, once he recalled the conversations with his agent during which the possibility of joining the Panthers emerged.

"Those conversations were tough," Darnold said. "I imagined I was going to be the franchise quarterback of the New York Jets for a long time. And once you realize that the team that drafted you is moving on, it stings a little bit."

The pain of that is soothed by the fact he's walking into what ought to be a good situation for any quarterback.

His former Jets teammate Josh McCown, who also played for the Panthers from 2008-09 and counseled Darnold through his rookie year in New York, pointed out a more subtle connection which could help with Darnold's transition to his new home.

The year before Darnold arrived in New York (2017), McCown was there when John Morton replaced Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. Morton's previous job was as the wide receivers coach with the Saints. As McCown explained, even after head coach Todd Bowles replaced Morton with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates in 2018, the passing game concepts for Darnold's rookie year remained consistent from the previous year, based on the Saints' principles which Brady grew up on. (Bates did adapt the Jets' running game that year, implementing more of the outside zone system the 49ers are running under Kyle Shanahan.)

"The stuff Sam was asked to do as a rookie is really similar to what Joe Brady and the Panthers want to do now," McCown said. "He really did have a comfort with that passing game, and he flourished in it.

"I think from a schematic standpoint, this could be a real sweet spot for Sam."

Darnold's still getting to know his new coaches, and is having his first full day of face-to-face interaction with them Monday. And while it's too soon to know what to expect this year, he acknowledged that McCown's point was valid.

"For sure, there are some similarities to what I did my rookie season," Darnold said of the film he's watched of the 2020 Panthers. "The system was good for me, and I felt like I settled in nicely."

But beyond any Xs and Os (or any Christians or Joes), Darnold said he mostly feels grateful to be in Charlotte, to have a chance to hit reset on his career at such a young age, and to be in a place where active steps were taken to acquire him.

"To go from being unwanted to being wanted is huge," Darnold said. "Getting that news that you're going to be traded, of a team saying, 'Hey, we didn't want you," for whatever reason, is hard.

"But right now, I feel great about it, and I'm excited to get here, and get started."

Damnit Sam. ? He's probably going to tear it up in Carolina lol.

16 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

lol i don think he was on coke, i think he is just a ****in weirdo

To be clear I was accusing Gase of that.  :)

And yeah I am not sure, but either way he is definitely a weirdo for sure.

• Upvote 1

I think this analysis was simpler than we think:

• Sam has good QB and physical skills and based on his overall college performance was worth a top 5 draft pick.
  • The Jets completely under-supported him in talent for 3 years (plus the preparation for his arrival) and in coaching, particularly last two years.
  • The two of the three guys the Jets hired to lead their team (Mac, Bowles and Gase) will likely not work in the NFL again-that is how bad they were.
  • But since the Jets were so bad, they get to draft a QB top 2, and given who is available, and the rookie contract, it is worth it for them to reboot.  If they were drafting 4th or below it may not be worth it.  So the trade was smart for both the Jets and Carolina. 
  • To me, Wilson has superior trained QB skills/muscle memory, which makes sense given how Wilson was brought up as compared to Darnold.
  • The knock on Wilson is size and frame-1 inch shorter and 15 Lbs lighter than Darnold.  Its not like Darnold was ironman though-he got hurt plenty.   It does seems like Wilson is a gym rat, and his physical testing is pretty good.  Jimmy G has not been healthy either, and he is bigger than Wilson and about the same size as Darnold.

So I think both teams win here.  The Jets need to scheme a way to keep Wilson upright and not running around.  And have a good backup.  I think the future involves pulling starters more when you are ahead and not risking garbage time losses.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wit said:

He’s always been honest and straightforward. He planned on being in NY forever and be hurt to know they didn’t want him. He probably also knows he didn’t produce to the level he would want to. Wish him well, but not if Zach Wilson sucks, then I need him to at least suck too. Oh and fields to suck. 

Your honesty is refreshing. I share your thoughts.

The panthers see exercising the 5th year option as a low cost bet 

The Jets see that as a terrible, onerous expense and have to reset the qb clock for financial reasons 

I get that Sam needs a new start (with his old favorite receiver and an old Gailey system) but 

That's the difference between a franchise that tries and one that just keeps the lights on. David Tepper is the wealthiest owner in football. Woody opens up the check book once a year and moths fly out 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I keep forgetting he’s only 23. He was on a good path as he ended that rookie year and then the Jets degraded everything around him.

If JD is playing 4d chess he needed gase to be fired and darnold was the collateral damage 

I can't find any other hopeful reason for the robby situation 

And even that's a stretch 

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If JD is playing 4d chess he needed gase to be fired and darnold was the collateral damage 

I can't find any other hopeful reason for the robby situation 

And even that's a stretch 

Man do people need to get over Robby Anderson. He had 3 TDs and 3 100+ yard games last year. He disappeared some weeks and was a non factor the last part of the season. In other words, the same Robby as always. Who the **** cares that he was let go.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Man do people need to get over Robby Anderson. He had 3 TDs and 3 100+ yard games last year. He disappeared some weeks and was a non factor the last part of the season. In other words, the same Robby as always. Who the **** cares that he was let go.

Duh. The reason why his production faltered as the season went on was Bridgewater. That's why they wanted another QB. 

• Upvote 1