Does anyone else agree with Brady?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31310379/tampa-bay-buccaneers-tom-brady-blasts-dumb-new-nfl-uniform-number-rule%3fplatform=amp

I don't  see how somebody wearing a different number makes him impossible to block. Maybe that is why our pass rushers always sucked. The Jets are just assigning the wrong uniform numbers to them. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I do agree with him also. 

At least with the current number scheme the players have some idea of what the opposition is doing.

This change certainly helps the defenses.

Can you tell me position on defense that can't drop into coverage or rush the passer? 

• Upvote 1

I’m not a big fan of the number change thing. In all honesty, it helps ME watch the game. IDGAF about the players. They’re compensated handsomely for their work. One more wrinkle ain’t gonna kill them. This was inevitable though, considering the league’s dumbest tradition: retiring jerseys #s.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's absolutely going to confuse some personnel based on the scheme they run. 

I'm for expanding numbers to RBs and WRs, but I think it doesn't make any sense to allow TEs to wear those numbers because it's going to screw up some defenses, and I am vehemently opposed to LB/CB/S receiving numbers expansions because it will especially cause problems for OLs and QBs trying to identify LBs at the heat of the moment. 

Yes, they will adjust. Yes, defenses have become so multiple that it largely doesn't make sense anymore. But I totally get Brady's argument, and I also just don't like it at all. My preference would have been: 

QBs: 1-19
RBs: 1-49
WRs: 1-19, 80-89
TEs: 20-49, 80-89 
OL: 50-79
DL: 50-79, 90-99
LB: 40-99 
CB: 1-9, 20-49 
S: 1-9, 20-49 
K/P: 1-19 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Dudes where different #'s in college all over positional groups.  Yet, they figured it out and they're not paid professionals.  

Exactly, much to do about absolutely nothing.  You’re not going to be to tell who Nick Bosa is if he is wearing the number 5?  Lol...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31310379/tampa-bay-buccaneers-tom-brady-blasts-dumb-new-nfl-uniform-number-rule%3fplatform=amp

I don't  see how somebody wearing a different number makes him impossible to block. Maybe that is why our pass rushers always sucked. The Jets are just assigning the wrong uniform numbers to them. 

My only uniform issue is with the Jets current uniform.  It is an absolute eyesore.  Please go back to the legacy uniforms. 

51 minutes ago, slats said:

Cry babies have to cry. What's he bitching about? Before the rules change, LBs shared the 40s with defensive backs and the 90s with the DL. It's gonna be harder now because LBs and DBs will be able to wear single digits? If that's the case, your coaches and players are morons. 

Seriously. If that didn't hamper things for all these years - supposedly involving QBs or others on offense judging a player's role by uniform number - I'm not seeing how this is going to change things.

Since there've already been such overlaps between adjacent position groups on the same side of the ball - regardless of the player's role on a given play - this is nonsense.

Eff him and his reborn royalty treatment. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

I don't think its big deal but why change the numbers rule now? Discrimination has got to be playing a role here somehow and that's pathetic. Somebody complained that only the big guys get to wear certain numbers. Shoot me now!

This is an absurd post.

It's to sell more jerseys. Nothing more, nothing less. So you can stop crying about "discrimination."

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

No but I can tell you the number ranges of linebackers, dbs and linemen.  So what is your point?

My point is why does it matter if just about any player on D can do anything. If LB's could only defend the run  or rush the passer but couldn't  cover, and DB's could only cover and not rush or play the run, yeah, identifying  a number would help knowing what he might do but since anyone can do all of those things, who cares . 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, I do actually, as noted in the thread on Uni Numbers.

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

My point is why does it matter if just about any player on D can do anything. If LB's could only defend the run  or rush the passer but couldn't  cover, and DB's could only cover and not rush or play the run, yeah, identifying  a number would help knowing what he might do but since anyone can do all of those things, who cares . 

I disagree with your point.  This rule change makes it harder for a younger QB to identify the mike.  More so if he is not the starter.