Apathy vs. Anger

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I watched about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. It was enough to see the team was woefully unprepared and outmatched by a legitimately bad Patriot team.

Several people I know texted me to ask me my thoughts. I told them I didn't watch. They were shocked -- I'm the biggest Jets fan everyone who knows me has met.

But after a decade of sucking and various regime changes I've really reached the point where this team isn't worth my time. It simply is not worth 3.5 hours of your weekend afternoon -- prime hours for those of us who work long hours during the week -- to watch this team suck.

I sold myself on the idea that a new coach, new OC, and new QB would have the team looking different this year, but this team is as bad as ever. The QB looks like a bust, the OC looks completely over his head and the HC has said nothing to make you think he knows how to right the ship. And on some level it makes me mad... On some it makes me sad. 

But moreso, I find myself being overcome with apathy. Like, why care about this? It has no impact on my life at all and as time goes on I become numb to it. Yesterday I did some chores -- raked the leaves, cleaned the gutters, did some laundry. I relaxed, read a bit, and watched some Seinfeld reruns on Netflix.

Anyone else getting to this point? I'll never not be a Jets fan. But I think the days of investing time and money into this team are going by the wayside. I don't know if getting older, maturing a getting new priorities has changed me (my wife and I are expecting our first child later this week) but more and more I just can't find the energy to give a sh*t.

I’m down on the coaching staff, they seem passive, stubborn, unimaginative, overmatched…

I’m not down on Zach yet, He did win rookie of the week honors…Has flashed, The coaching staff has shown me nothing, excuses

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I'm right there with you. I had the game on in the background, but was checked out by the end of the 1st quarter and mostly doing other things. I ended up flipping around on Sunday ticket and moving on to other games and other activities. 

Congrats on your first child! We had our first child not too long ago and he definitely makes it easier to ignore the Jets!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I watched about 10 minutes of yesterday's game. It was enough to see the team was woefully unprepared and outmatched by a legitimately bad Patriot team.

Several people I know texted me to ask me my thoughts. I told them I didn't watch. They were shocked -- I'm the biggest Jets fan everyone who knows me has met.

But after a decade of sucking and various regime changes I've really reached the point where this team isn't worth my time. It simply is not worth 3.5 hours of your weekend afternoon -- prime hours for those of us who work long hours during the week -- to watch this team suck.

I sold myself on the idea that a new coach, new OC, and new QB would have the team looking different this year, but this team is as bad as ever. The QB looks like a bust, the OC looks completely over his head and the HC has said nothing to make you think he knows how to right the ship. And on some level it makes me mad... On some it makes me sad. 

But moreso, I find myself being overcome with apathy. Like, why care about this? It has no impact on my life at all and as time goes on I become numb to it. Yesterday I did some chores -- raked the leaves, cleaned the gutters, did some laundry. I relaxed, read a bit, and watched some Seinfeld reruns on Netflix.

Anyone else getting to this point? I'll never not be a Jets fan. But I think the days of investing time and money into this team are going by the wayside. I don't know if getting older, maturing a getting new priorities has changed me (my wife and I are expecting our first child later this week) but more and more I just can't find the energy to give a sh*t.

Congrats on becoming a Dad …it changes everything, you’re me about 5 years ago ….morphing into a casual fan who would rather hang out with his kids than be tortured by this crap is the best thing that’s ever happened to me . It’s like getting sober in a way . 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Totally relate. I'm the guy who when im home for the away games am standing in my living room on 3rd down. I pump my fists, yell at the tv. Get generally hyped. 

Yesterday, I didn't get up once. It was over early like all these 2021 games. Just kind of felt a weird way of acceptance that we are a complete and utter disaster. Same with the anger, I feel totally conned by the Jets PR department and all the Saleh No Gas, whatever the heck it is. 

I'm like the guy who got scammed, but accepted the money they took wont brake the bank and to learn my lesson next time. 

Depressing. 

• Upvote 3

I think a lot of people are feeling the same way between Adam Gase and the pandemic people are less invested and finding more enjoyable things to do.  I still enjoy Sunday football festivities but I'm mostly watching Redzone and placing a few wagers. The Jets are a afterthought. 

• Upvote 2

I made a similar post last year. Time was I never turned a game off regardless of the score. I started turning it off at about the halfway point last year- I didn’t even turn on the final two games- time was- I would’ve NEVER done this.

I turned that POS off yesterday as soon as it hit 17- zip.

• Upvote 1

I’m with and have been with OP since 2016 actually…..     It’s so sad how little this team has done.

You could do NOTHING and be where the Jets are.

Ive been wanting to do San analysis of Jets drafts last 5 years and Kipers or Mc Shays best available just to see. 

We could have and should have drafted Russell Wilson or Mahommes or I believe Watson but we didn’t.  

A QB league and since 2012, we have been playing bums.  Zach aside. 

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would anyone be angry about how a team is playing in game 6 of a rebuilding year where owner, gm and coaches have agreed upon that winning is not the goal.

Thats your fault for not understanding what is going on here.

They look like they are rebuilding???  I see no evidence of that. 

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would anyone be angry about how a team is playing in game 6 of a rebuilding year where owner, gm and coaches have agreed upon that winning is not the goal.

i think at this point you have hit trolling status 

• Upvote 2

Born in Queens and raised in the Shadow of Shea Stadium, I am a Jet fan by accident of birth. I wish I could change teams, but like a newbie wannabe poker professional, I am pot committed on a bad hand. Realizing slowly that this season is another loss I will have to accept with unwarranted hope that the next hand deals me some better cards.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feel the same way brother. I posted pretty much your very words (although not as eloquently) yesterday.

I don't think I'll watch any of the next games live. I'll just record them and fast forward through the all the scoring.( the opponents scoring that is) There's no reason to watch if Zach isn't playing IMO.

• Upvote 1

I'm usually good for at least a half of a 1 o'clock game. That's about the time we're digging ourselves from out of a hole. Once we're down 17 pts we're done. There's a 70+ active losing streak games to confirm the lack of an ability to comeback from that size deficit. You probably have to go back to the Monday Night Miracle for the last game.

Sports are entertainment but we've been sold the idea that we have an investment as fans in the team and we are a part of whatever this extremely wealthy entertainment enterprise might be. It's fun when it's fun but when it sucks I have no interest in wasting time, money, or the opportunity to enjoy my weekend because it isn't fun and they are doing a poor job entertaining me. I don't get mad at a bad movie. I just turn it off. I don't have loyalty to a movie. It's the same thing.

• Upvote 2

Obviously this board is great place to share and connect with others on how you would fix the Jets etc. I still enjoy talking about the hypothetical fix that’s probably never going to happen. That’s what keeps you somewhat interested I guess.

Last time I actually got pissed at a Jets loss was the 2015 Bills game. I just don’t even flinch anymore. If I miss a game it’s no sweat either.

• Upvote 1

Team apathy. There's nothing to root for here. 

FO is horrible. None of the players are any good. The owners are a pair of rich dbags who could care less. The coaches seem uniformly terrible. Since the FO is bad, they'll f*ck up the picks so there aren't losses to root for. Rooting for wins would be the definition of insanity, because only 1 or 2 more are coming. If that. 

Team Apathy all the way. 

Outside of extracting humor in how truly awful this team and organization is. 

Too bad it's not English football rules, where the Jets could be cast out of the NFL to some lower league, which they so clearly  belong in. 

• Upvote 2

I haven't really been able to watch live football on Sundays for the past 12 years. I used to go to the Jets/Pats game every year at Gillette, but since my daughter has been born, Sundays are not lazy days and I have too much family responsibilities. This is the first year were I don't even watch the games on rewind - I had high hopes with Zack and Saleh, but even playing against a crappy team, we were embarrassed - autumn is beautiful here in New England and I don't need to watch these jokers any more - unfortunately, I can't avoid the constant clucking from the team, fans, and media here.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There's a reason so many, like yourself, have screen names or images of Namath in their profiles.  The Jets have been rebuilding for the greater part of the last 50 years.

This last decade has been particularly brutal...with the only good thing coming from it (for me), is total apathy to what happens on Sunday anymore.  I just expect a loss, and with each humiliating 3 and out, I only shrug now.  

My heart rate has never been better in my 40 years of watching this pathetic franchise.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I met my wife in 2011. She and our kids have only known me as a bitter jaded drunk on Sundays. Football was synonymous with getting the kids out of the house so we don't have to listen to Dad swear and scream at the TV

When the Rhule/Gase debacle happened - I checked out. "whatever." .... i almost started to give a damn this year... then Carl Lawson. Then Mims. Then our OC... 

Whatever. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Totally relate. I'm the guy who when im home for the away games am standing in my living room on 3rd down. I pump my fists, yell at the tv. Get generally hyped. 

Yesterday, I didn't get up once. It was over early like all these 2021 games. Just kind of felt a weird way of acceptance that we are a complete and utter disaster. Same with the anger, I feel totally conned by the Jets PR department and all the Saleh No Gas, whatever the heck it is. 

I'm like the guy who got scammed, but accepted the money they took wont brake the bank and to learn my lesson next time. 

Depressing. 

I relate to this so much. My kids hate and joke about Jets gameday because I hoot and holler and live and die with every play. When they hear me screaming they just say to themselves "Oh, the Jets must be playing." Yesterday they would have no idea that the Jets played a game. Not even a peep out of me. 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Born in Queens and raised in the Shadow of Shea Stadium, I am a Jet fan by accident of birth. I wish I could change teams, but like a newbie wannabe poker professional, I am pot committed on a bad hand. Realizing slowly that this season is another loss I will have to accept with unwarranted hope that the next hand deals me some better cards.

Funny you said that. I'm actually a professional poker player and am averaging $60/hr this month and I started to question yesterday whether I'm doing myself and my finances a disservice by watching the Jets play instead of playing poker. 

I really love this team though. And I wasn't expecting playoffs, I mean there was some delusion in my mind like why not us!, but I was optimistic that this new regime would look different from the sh*tshow that was Adam Gase but they look just as bad if not worse! Is it too much to ask to have coaches that actually practice strategy and look for exploits in the opponent to attack and use counter strategies when a team finds a weakness in our team? Is it too much to ask to have a CS that actually has some ******* sign of intelligence? I don't blame the players all the way. They get some of the blame sure but the bulk of the blame belongs on the CS. They are not putting the players in a position to succeed and they truly look clueless. 

With that said, I'll still be watching on gamedays. For what? I'm not sure anymore.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jolot said:

Congrats on becoming a Dad …it changes everything, you’re me about 5 years ago ….morphing into a casual fan who would rather hang out with his kids than be tortured by this crap is the best thing that’s ever happened to me . It’s like getting sober in a way . 

Yep, exactly this. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Obviously this board is great place to share and connect with others on how you would fix the Jets etc. I still enjoy talking about the hypothetical fix that’s probably never going to happen. That’s what keeps you somewhat interested I guess.

Last time I actually got pissed at a Jets loss was the 2015 Bills game. I just don’t even flinch anymore. If I miss a game it’s no sweat either.

I remember getting up that Sunday and literally saying to myself over and over again, please dont be the Jets today, please dont be the Jets today. And than Stevan Ridley, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Rex Ryan celebrating.  I gave up any emotional investment to this team right then and there, just like the Gators now, I could give 2 sh*ts.  I used to prioritize Football on Sunday?  Now?  Hell no.  I'll watch if I have nothing else going on or like yesterday, I had it on the golf cart as I finished up the back 9 and by the time I got home, the game was out of hand so it was on in the background as I did chores around the house.