maury77

2 minutes ago, Green hat said:

I'd do it this way:

1st - EDGE, LB

2nd - WR, TE

3rd - T

4th - Safety, RB

5th - G, LB

FA - Starters at CB1, Safety1, TE1, RG (LDT 1-2 yr) + Depth guys.

Depth chart:

QB  - Wilson, Flacco, White

WR  - Moore, Davis, 2nd rounder

TE  - FA, 2nd rounder

RB - Carter, 4th rounder

T -  LT Fant, RT Becton, 3rd rounder to develop, push Becton (or LT Becton, RT Fant. Figure it out in camp)

RG - FA5th rounder to develop

C - Keep McG

CB  - FA, Hall, Echols, MC2, Guidry 

EDGE - 1st rounder, C Lawson, Huff

DL - Same 

LB - 1st rounder, Mosely, Williams, Sherwood, 5th rounder

Safety - FA, Davis, 4th rounder

I'd be thrilled if things landed this way... But a couple callouts:

* Hope there's no need to reach for those positions (ie - not sure there was a LB worth taking at 10th?), so Trader Joe will prolly be moving up / down the board for this plan to work.
* I'm terrified of taking a WR in the 2nd round. Maybe Moore has broken the curse, but sooooo many broken dreams coming for Jets WRs drafted in the second round. Maybe flip the LB / WR?
* Are any of those 3 FAs actually on the market? I think we'll have money to spend there, but not sure who's available.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

@jgb

i got sidetracked there with a phone call, but the point of my post is he claimed the Lamar Jackson pick was all JD. He scouted, and kept pushing for him, so I have to give props where they’re due. He’s found a QB.

He’s also the one which scouted and pushed for Flacco

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I'd be thrilled if things landed this way... But a couple callouts:

* Hope there's no need to reach for those positions (ie - not sure there was a LB worth taking at 10th?), so Trader Joe will prolly be moving up / down the board for this plan to work.
* I'm terrified of taking a WR in the 2nd round. Maybe Moore has broken the curse, but sooooo many broken dreams coming for Jets WRs drafted in the second round. Maybe flip the LB / WR?
* Are any of those 3 FAs actually on the market? I think we'll have money to spend there, but not sure who's available.

Agree totally. I'd be all for moving around based on value, especially down to get more picks. 

I didn't consider our WR draft history in the second. Hmm..... Sure we can flip LB / WR, but felt we have 2 capable starters and are desperate for a good LB. Either way, we should be able to find starter-quality players for LB and WR in either the 1st or second.

I didn't check FA projections but it would definitely throw a wrench in the plan if we can't fill these needs before the draft.

But i think if we can nail this off season, we could actually have a competitive team. It is possible...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

So here we are again. Discussing the merits of a mock draft with 4 weeks left in the season when we don't know what our draft position will even be yet.  Next comes the invariable discussions as to whether we are bad/stupid fans if we root for the team to win.  What an absolute train wreck we are.  I watched the Rams/Cards game last night and boy it looked like fun.  Packed house screaming from play 1, stars making plays, beautiful pass completions all over the field.  It's literally looked like an entirely different sport.  Sweet baby Jesus please let us have games like that one days soon.  We deserve it! 

All mock drafts are attempts to create discussion so people will keep watching/clicking. As teams fall out of contention towards the end of the season there's not a lot to catch attention of losing teams' fans in the current year so you have to start talking about next year and how the remaining games might affect the result. This is true for every team in that position. If you're talking about it then the mock draft is doing its job regardless of accuracy.

• Post of the Week 1

• NYJ
    George Karlaftis
    EDGE Purdue

• NYJ
    Tyler Linderbaum
    OC Iowa
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Isaiah Likely
    TE Coastal Carolina

• NYJ
    Carson Strong
    QB Nevada

• NYJ
    Brandon Smith
    LB Penn State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Jahan Dotson
    WR Penn State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Arnold Ebiketie
    EDGE Penn State

• NYJ
    Brian Asamoah II
    LB Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Chris Autman-Bell
    WR Minnesota

•  
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, xJayce said:

That statement would be true if you started watching the Jets like 2 weeks ago... 

The last decade has been a debacle, and both Idzik and Mac are much more prominent on the 'worst GM in jets history" list.

idzik got canned at the point where it looked like he was going to be a disaster.  Mr. Coffee *was* a disaster.  Joe Douglas has not been fired yet, but his results prove he's a bigger disaster than Mr. Coffee and or Idzik. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hahaha -- I would absolutely hate it if they went OL and TE in the top 10, and would then never defend Douglas against any criticism no matter how petty or how fueled mostly by hindsight.

What is your preference, I don't want to reply presuming I know.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agree with offensive skill player in 1st and tight end in 2nd. I do think we go edge rusher with one of our top picks. 

I think that is quite likely, aye.

I could see Edge at #1/1st Pick, and WR at #1/2nd Pick.  And then LB at #2/1st Pick.

I won't be shocked at all to see us go back to usual Jets Business, and go Defense more and earlier.

Just not what I would do as GM.  Even as bad as our D is (and it's historic bad).

All this talk about rebuilding the OL, how about we rebuild the playmakers? As for the OL we should spend cash capital on veterans and not draft capital on prospects. This would be a logical thing to do with an inexperience QB. Sign a veteran like Scherff regardless if you feel he'll miss two to four games. Bring back Moses and Fant and there we'll have some continuity. Then develop a 4th string tackle behind this group for the 2023 season. 

None of the FA skill players are signing up to play with Zack Wilson. Therefore we must draft these guys and there's always an abundance of WRs in the draft. When we sign these mid tier or more so borderline starting level WRs, they flop (Perriman/Cole). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

So here we are again. Discussing the merits of a mock draft with 4 weeks left in the season when we don't know what our draft position will even be yet.  Next comes the invariable discussions as to whether we are bad/stupid fans if we root for the team to win.  What an absolute train wreck we are.  I watched the Rams/Cards game last night and boy it looked like fun.  Packed house screaming from play 1, stars making plays, beautiful pass completions all over the field.  It's literally looked like an entirely different sport.  Sweet baby Jesus please let us have games like that one days soon.  We deserve it! 

It’s always startling to watch other NFL games. The players for other teams are just light years better than ours. Not to mention coaching and play design. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think that is quite likely, aye.

I could see Edge at #1/1st Pick, and WR at #1/2nd Pick.  And then LB at #2/1st Pick.

I won't be shocked at all to see us go back to usual Jets Business, and go Defense more and earlier.

Just not what I would do as GM.  Even as bad as our D is (and it's historic bad).

I agree that we need to keep drafting offense, but there is also something to say about a defense being able to get off the field/flip field position which in turn helps the offense. 

We saw that in the Eagles game where Wilson was really good in the first half and lost all sense of rhythm in the second half thanks to the defense being completely inept. 

With 5 picks in the top 70 I am guessing JD goes with a more balanced approached at the top. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

For all the hate on JD, he has pretty much done what many of us here have been begging him for him to do since he got here. 

Traded Adams for a bunch of picks

We need to rebuild OL in the draft- Drafted OL early in back to back drafts

We needed to replace Darnold- Drafted a QB

We needed to improve WRs- Drafted 2 WRs early and signed Davis

Now everyone seems to agree that this team needs an edge rusher and a tight end. I would bet we draft an edge with one of our first top 10 picks and a tight end in the 2nd round. 

Agree with all of the above except I would go edge and WR. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I posted it earlier, but it's a combo of trading picks strategy (moving down/up) and a bunch of positions I could see.

But a 3rd year in a row drafting OL in the top half of round 1, when the team is sitting on a starting LT (and possibly two)? No. And center is ridiculous to draft that early. The line can use some improvement, but it isn't such a disaster that it is in need of a top 10 pick type influx. Greater overall team impact will come from using such a high pick on other position(s). 

And TE is just not enough of an impact nor expensive enough position to draft in the top half of round 1. Yeah there's the rarity like Pitts, but one of those doesn't come out every year and a TE that early usually is terrible value. It's opportunity cost: what you use it for on one position means you're bypassing using it on another.

The last thing I'd like to see is two supportive offense picks like TE and C -- two of the cheapest veteran starter positions in football no matter how great the player is. Meanwhile the defense is giving up 30 ppg and I'm unmoved by the cleverness of suggesting the team doesn't need excellent DBs in Ulbrich's cover 3. There are still times a corner is in man coverage and has to stick with his assignment on quick slants & such, or stay with someone deeper on EZ throws. Zone defense doesn't mean you don't still need to cover a person.

So without knowing where the draft value will be, or what the team will do in FA - two things that both impact what'll be done - I'd first off sooner take a safety over a center easily (though some are still understandably not over their Adams/Maye withdrawal). Also they need a serious LB. So... LB, CB, S are top needs and they're not tertiary-importance positions. Even though I'm not expecting  Douglas to look this way, given his veteran investments in the positions, elite WR and EDGE prospects are always welcome additions if they're as advertised. 

But first I'd like to see him trade down a little with one of his 1sts to add another 1st next season (assuming the opportunity's there). After that I'd also be ok - again depending how the draft unfolds - if they pair a 2+3 to move up into the 20s with pick #3. Maybe even move one of the 4ths for a 3rd next year, too. So for this year, quality over quantity; they did quantity last year and should be active in FA. Last thing this team needs is 10 more rookies again. Plus then he'd still be doubled up in rounds 1 & 3 (not counting others from comp picks if we get any). 

Or did you want the long version?

i like the idea of trading back with one of the firsts to pick up a first next season.  keep that cupboard full.  i think i'd go for wr or edge with the first first rounder and then  edge, db,  wr ,lb, or guard with the second.  find a te in the 2nd or third rounds. get some depth.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

1st Round:  Another OL, and a legit #1-tier Offensive Skill Player.

2nd Round:  Tight End or Defense

3rd Round and Beyond:  Tight End or Defense.

My thoughts exactly though I would also include TE in the first if he was dynamic enough. 2 decent TEs may be the teams biggest need

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I posted it earlier, but it's a combo of trading picks strategy (moving down/up) and a bunch of positions I could see.

But a 3rd year in a row drafting OL in the top half of round 1, when the team is sitting on a starting LT (and possibly two)? No. And center is ridiculous to draft that early. The line can use some improvement, but it isn't such a disaster that it is in need of a top 10 pick type influx. Greater overall team impact will come from using such a high pick on other position(s). 

And TE is just not enough of an impact nor expensive enough position to draft in the top half of round 1. Yeah there's the rarity like Pitts, but one of those doesn't come out every year and a TE that early usually is terrible value. It's opportunity cost: what you use it for on one position means you're bypassing using it on another.

The last thing I'd like to see is two supportive offense picks like TE and C -- two of the cheapest veteran starter positions in football no matter how great the player is. Meanwhile the defense is giving up 30 ppg and I'm unmoved by the cleverness of suggesting the team doesn't need excellent DBs in Ulbrich's cover 3. There are still times a corner is in man coverage and has to stick with his assignment on quick slants & such, or stay with someone deeper on EZ throws. Zone defense doesn't mean you don't still need to cover a person.

So without knowing where the draft value will be, or what the team will do in FA - two things that both impact what'll be done - I'd first off sooner take a safety over a center easily (though some are still understandably not over their Adams/Maye withdrawal). Also they need a serious LB. So... LB, CB, S are top needs and they're not tertiary-importance positions. Even though I'm not expecting  Douglas to look this way, given his veteran investments in the positions, elite WR and EDGE prospects are always welcome additions if they're as advertised. 

But first I'd like to see him trade down a little with one of his 1sts to add another 1st next season (assuming the opportunity's there). After that I'd also be ok - again depending how the draft unfolds - if they pair a 2+3 to move up into the 20s with pick #3. Maybe even move one of the 4ths for a 3rd next year, too. So for this year, quality over quantity; they did quantity last year and should be active in FA. Last thing this team needs is 10 more rookies again. Plus then he'd still be doubled up in rounds 1 & 3 in 2023 (not counting others from comp picks if we get any). 

Or did you want the long version?

I just don’t see any team giving up a 1 next year to move up to our spot. Unless one of these QBs stock really rises from now till draft say

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My thoughts exactly though I would also include TE in the first if he was dynamic enough. 2 decent TEs may be the teams biggest need

no tight end will be picked in the first round this year. And for those wanting OL in the first round I doubt that’s gonna happen either 

1 hour ago, derp said:

Pick 9 - McShay - “I want to give the Jets an edge rusher, but the top players at the position are off the board.”

Pick 10 - McShay - *edge rusher*

Hookay, Todd.

I heard him on ESPN radio explaining this mock draft and he sounded like a fifth grader doing a book report on the Presidents of the United States starting with Lincoln. Just a cursory explanation of who he drafted and a banal reasoning for “why [they] make sense there.” I cannot for the life of me figure out why ESPN pushes this guy down our throats every draft season.

• Upvote 1

Edge, LB, WR, TE in whatever sequence gives JD the best available. I'm worried that top Edge guys will be gone and would rather take LB1 than Edge 3. There are some very good LBs in this draft. My favorite is Nakobe Dean but Lloyd looks like a terrific player too. Also the Bama kid is pretty good. If our top 4 come from Bama, UGA, Ohio State (WRs) or Michigan, I'm good with that.

26 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I just don’t see any team giving up a 1 next year to move up to our spot. Unless one of these QBs stock really rises from now till draft say

Which is almost certain to be the case.

QB needy team will fight to get up to draft "their guy". I think we'll be in a position to trade down, but shouldn't.

We could hope the QB's taken before us drop down the better positions players (Edge hopefully) but we have enough picks.  We need players that will make an impact.

• Post of the Week 1