Wright sez Geno is the guy

Geno was actually good last year but came up short in a couple game winning chances. I would think he gets the nod over Lock. People are expecting Wilson to be a monster in Denver but I am not sure I see it. Teams are getting better and better at neutralizing him.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I thought the word on Geno was always that he was great in practice but we all saw what happened when he got on the field with defenders who could pound him. If true, he's a great option as a backup but not a guy you want to count on as a starter. 

BYU had a five star QB recruit like that - Jake Heaps.  

He bounced around transferring in college and he’s now Russell Wilson’s full time QB coach.  He got close NFL looks because teams hoped he’d get over it, but he couldn’t stop freezing in live action.  Jake Heaps is a name to watch in the coaching ranks though.  Smart guy who knows the game.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Geno was actually good last year but came up short in a couple game winning chances. I would think he gets the nod over Lock. People are expecting Wilson to be a monster in Denver but I am not sure I see it. Teams are getting better and better at neutralizing him.

i agree, Geno has a great arm, good mobility, and makes some very good plays but always ends up committing the backbreaking turnovers or bad decisions.  

im curious to see how he does as the starter there

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hmhertz said:

“I’ll tell you not Baker Mayfield,” Wright told I Am Athlete Tonight on SiriusXM. “Not Drew Lock. We ain’t gonna play those games. I’m team Geno all day.”

Wright, who played for the Seahawks while Smith served as the clear backup to Russell Wilson, explained the basis for his belief.

“Geno was good,” Wright said. “He was scout team quarterback. The dude has a cannon for an arm. He’s intellectual, you know, having those two-minute drills during practice throughout the week, the man can play. Just trust him, just trust Geno. And what I said was whoever you decide to be your starting quarterback, the other guy has got to leave. You cannot have both those guys in the building throughout the season. Because what’s gonna happen? Let’s say game three or four they’re not playing as well. What are the fans gonna do? . . ‘Put the backup in.’ And so to hell with all that, whoever’s the starting quarterback, the other guy, you’ve got to trade him or cut him.”

Smith played well last year after Wilson suffered a finger injury. And it feels as if coach Pete Carroll would like nothing more than to show that he can be competitive with the former understudy to Wilson, who forced his way out after a couple of seasons of frustration.

The expectations are low, both for Smith and the Seahawks. That could be a key ingredient in what could become a surprisingly good season.

Smith is gonna end up to be Jeff Blake with cincy, after being 3rd string here

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

BYU had a five star QB recruit like that - Jake Heaps.  

He bounced around transferring in college and he’s now Russell Wilson’s full time QB coach.  He got close NFL looks because teams hoped he’d get over it, but he couldn’t stop freezing in live action.  Jake Heaps is a name to watch in the coaching ranks though.  Smart guy who knows the game.  

I'll never forget the first time we saw Heaps in action against Washington.  I thought for sure we had our next big time QB.  

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

i agree, Geno has a great arm, good mobility, and makes some very good plays but always ends up committing the backbreaking turnovers or bad decisions.  

im curious to see how he does as the starter there

You nailed it. He's not terrible but he will **** it up at some point. That's not going to change now or ever but good luck. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, hmhertz said:

“I’ll tell you not Baker Mayfield,” Wright told I Am Athlete Tonight on SiriusXM. “Not Drew Lock. We ain’t gonna play those games. I’m team Geno all day.”

Wright, who played for the Seahawks while Smith served as the clear backup to Russell Wilson, explained the basis for his belief.

“Geno was good,” Wright said. “He was scout team quarterback. The dude has a cannon for an arm. He’s intellectual, you know, having those two-minute drills during practice throughout the week, the man can play. Just trust him, just trust Geno. And what I said was whoever you decide to be your starting quarterback, the other guy has got to leave. You cannot have both those guys in the building throughout the season. Because what’s gonna happen? Let’s say game three or four they’re not playing as well. What are the fans gonna do? . . ‘Put the backup in.’ And so to hell with all that, whoever’s the starting quarterback, the other guy, you’ve got to trade him or cut him.”

Smith played well last year after Wilson suffered a finger injury. And it feels as if coach Pete Carroll would like nothing more than to show that he can be competitive with the former understudy to Wilson, who forced his way out after a couple of seasons of frustration.

The expectations are low, both for Smith and the Seahawks. That could be a key ingredient in what could become a surprisingly good season.

OK.....   He lost me right there.

• Upvote 1

Geno was exactly Geno last year, no difference at all than when he was here and will always be.

Has a very good nfl arm can make all the throws, has decent mobility, knows the playbook, has some good drives.

Has utterly awful pocket awareness and presence, can never feel the rush coming.

Always makes the worst bonehead plays at exactly the worst time of the game.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno was exactly Geno last year, no difference at all than when he was here and will always be.

Has a very good nfl arm can make all the throws, has decent mobility, knows the playbook, has some good drives.

Has utterly awful pocket awareness and presence, can never feel the rush coming.

Always makes the worst bonehead plays and exactly the worst time of the game.

The perfect jet.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bronx said:

Jokes aside, wishing Geno well.  He wasn't properly developed as a rookie with the Jets.

The Jets never develop QBs.  They don't know how, just have no clue.

They have mishandled Wilson too. 

Luck got Clyde Christensen and Bruce Arians.  Mahomes got Andy Reid.  It's sad and tragic how Knapp passed, but then they replace him with Sanchez's ex-coach Matt Cavanaugh.  And iirc Rob Calabrese had never even been a QB coach prior to last season.  Then it becomes even more like musical chairs with John Beck added mid-season.

In camp, not even a pretense of a QB competition.  In season, Wilson sucks, gets injured, and immediately reinstated as starter despite MW, Flacco, and even Josh Johnson outshining him.

Say what you want about Mac Jones.  He clearly won the job in camp in NE.  They let him compete with Cam, and McCorkle earned it.  Belichick doesn't do anything just for show.  He just wants to win and doesn't care how that objective is reached.

Best of luck to Geno if he wins this opportunity.

With the exception of when he plays us, of course.

No ill will towards him.  He sucked here.  Maybe he's learned something over the years and matured.  If so, good for him, that's admirable.

Without anymore picks coming from Seattle, I really don’t care all that much. I’d like to see Geno succeed, I really would, but he was pretty disappointing when Wilson went down last year. Allegedly, the Panthers are interested in trading for Mayfield, which might leave the 49ers with no option with Garoppolo other than cutting him. He’d be a good option on the Seahawks. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Without anymore picks coming from Seattle, I really don’t care all that much. I’d like to see Geno succeed, I really would, but he was pretty disappointing when Wilson went down last year. Allegedly, the Panthers are interested in trading for Mayfield, which might leave the 49ers with no option with Garoppolo other than cutting him. He’d be a good option on the Seahawks. 

I keep thinking a Darnold for Mayfield trade makes a lot of sense. Two QBs in sort of the same never never land. Not a win-win situation sort of a push-push situation but both really should not be on the teams they are on. In a related note I think Rhule does not last the season. Glad we dodged that bullet. 

I think the 49ers would keep Jimmy rather than risk him going to Seattle in a release. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

No ill will towards him.  He sucked here.  Maybe he's learned something over the years and matured.  If so, good for him, that's admirable.

Learning how to tell time and knowing the nuances of the different time zones would be a good start for Geno 

• Post of the Week 1