Lawrence Cager Vs. Kenny Yeboah for TE 4

JetBlue

From the reports I have been seeing, it looks like Cager may actually have a edge on Yeboah for the last TE spot (unless we consider Wesco a TE and not a Fullback).    The apparent knock on them is they are not good in line blockers so that could be an issue, but Cager is really looking a pass catching threat at that position.  It will be interesting to see who whens that battle.  I could see either one winning and the other making the PS.   I think Cager may be the best pass catcher and could cause a real mismatch for defenses.  It would be great to groom him and Ruckert as our TEs of the Future.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, pointman said:

I was high on your boy and my boy, Yeboah when we got at a steal of a pick. But he has been as visible as a fart in the wind. I am ok moving on. He can grab the same bus as Ashtyn Davis.

That was a fantastic read.  LOL.  Fart in the wind was tough to beat but you might have done exactly that with grabbing the same bus out of town as Ashtyn Davis.

• Upvote 1

Lawrence Cager.  He looked big and fast against the Eagles.  Could become a matchup problem for defenses, especially in a 2 TE offense.  The first I’ve been intrigued by a bubble player in a long time.  

If safeties can become linebackers, then logic tells me WRs should be able to become TEs.  That said, I can’t think of too many examples of either becoming highly successful.  I was impressed with Sherwood against Philly and as a Rutgers fan, I remember Khaseem Greene becoming a stud LB after moving from safety.

29 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If safeties can become linebackers, then logic tells me WRs should be able to become TEs.  That said, I can’t think of too many examples of either becoming highly successful.  

Didn't our very onw Rich Caster make that transition back in the early '70's when they added Jerome Barkum as a WR?

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Didn't our very onw Rich Caster make that transition back in the early '70's when they added Jerome Barkum as a WR?

Great memory.  I’m a bit too young but if so, always nice to see it can happen.

The first tight end I vaguely remember is Mickey Shuler.  I hope I didn’t butcher his name.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2022 at 8:40 PM, Bungaman said:

Great comparison. Castor was an oversized wide receiver with excellent speed for his size who was converted to TE.  Barkum was an undersized TE who made the transition to wide receiver. They were two of my fav players from that era.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:40 PM, Bungaman said:

Caster went 1 year as a TE to WR played like 5 years as a TE and back to WR.

Barkum went 5 as a WR and then 5 as a TE

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Why do we think there will be a TE4?

I know the 53 man projections are guess work but there is a common theme among them. 

3 RBs, 0FBs, 3 TEs.

Most of em I see think the Jets will carry an extra WR and DE.

I think Cagr will be a PS guy this year. Wesco is going to stick (or the fullback) because of the run game. Yeboah is moving on.

If they are planning on a lot of two tight end formations, they will need more than 3 TEs.  I like Cager as I think he will be a matchup nightmare more so than Yeboah.  They have 3 guys that can block well enough and if they need more blockers, they ought to use offensive lineman that can catch a little.

• Upvote 1

I've been a Cager fan since his UGA days.  He had some great, highlight reel plays as a Bulldog, and was the most reliable WR on that roster for a couple of years.  Very good hands and excellent route runner.  He played hurt, too.

I very much want him to make this team.  I think he has the talent to contribute big plays on Sundays.  Using him as a mismatch TE is almost ideal.  He's not a bad blocker, but the same time, he's going to have trouble with some blocking assignments, given his tweener size.

I wanted my boy-ah Kenny Yeboah to be the guy at TE but like most of my opinions about this team, it was a laughable, over optimistic dream. Cager looks lively out there. Actually catching the ball and then doing something insane that we as Jets fans never see, YAC! Dude keeps running after he catches the ball. Insane. Looks like Yeboah isn't my boy-ah anymore and now Cager be givin' me a rager.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:10 AM, JetBlue said:

Great comparison. Castor was an oversized wide receiver with excellent speed for his size who was converted to TE.  Barkum was an undersized TE who made the transition to wide receiver. They were two of my fav players from that era.

Both Caster and Barkum are from the Central Gulf Coast,  Caster is from here in Mobile, Alabama and Barkum is from just down I-10 in Gulfport, MS.  Both went to Jackson State in the still mostly segregated world of football in the South in the early 70s.  Of course, nowadays they would be nationwide recruiting battles for them.  I think Barkum may have been on the same team at Jackson State team for at least a year or two with 2 future NFL hall of famers - Walter Payton and Robert Brazile (also from Mobile, AL)

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Cager is looking like a poor man’s Pitts or Graham.  I fear he’ll be poached if left unprotected.

Yeboah can easily slip into the practice squad again. 

We have to stop taking the guy based on draft number and believing some potential someone might have seen. It never pans out for us. We need to go with the guy who works his ass off and shows something. Cager is showing skills. Yeboah isn'tah.