LaFleur and Jets part ways

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  The Jets OC job is probably the most undesirable position available this off season.  It will be more of the same, another 7-10 season and a whole new staff next year.   Wash, rinse, repeat.  

Completely disagree. While the outcome of this year was tough, we undoubtedly have a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Breece, BAM, Carter, AVT, G Wilson, Moore and Berrios. Add in if Becton/ Mitchell come back, we're looking more than solid talent wise. Plus whatever talent we sign & draft. 

Sign a vet QB, re-sign White. I know everyone has given up on Zach but the raw talent is still there and crazier things have happened. 

It's not undesirable as you claim. It's a risk for whoever takes the job but certainly not undesirable. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

A dude like Reich may want to come here because he knows he’d be first in line for the HC job if Saleh gets canned next year.

And someone like Reich, who while having an impressive resume....will get looked over for HC jobs in the future(Ageism is real in the NFL) Could have the inside track here once Saleh and his PVO gets the flush next year that seems more and more inevitable.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You get the feeling that the Jets have their replacement in place already with this move.

If think the considerations all week were discussing MLF’s role and expectations with the new offensive coach and it obviously didn’t align.

Or we don’t know have any plan and we’re starting from scratch.

For most teams I’d agree. 

Just now, bgivs21 said:

Completely disagree. While the outcome of this year was tough, we undoubtedly have a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Breece, AVT, G Wilson, Moore and Berrios. Add in the fact if Becton/ Mitchell come back, we're looking more than solid talent wise. Plus whatever talent we sign & draft. 

Sign a vet QB, re-sign White. I know everyone has given up on Zach but the raw talent is still there and crazier things have happened. 

It's not undesirable as you claim. It's a risk for whoever takes the job but certainly not undesirable. 

The plan is to start Zach Wilson next season and get a new OC.  No one good is coming here to try to salvage Zach.  It’s career suicide 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

If there truly was a mutual parting, it tells you that they gave him the chance to stay in a very much reduced capacity. Tells me they have a big name in mind, someone who will bring in a good. staff with people who have actually developed a QB, and probably would have no room for MLF.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

No real OC is going to want to come here. There’s no quarterback, and now the rest of the regime is on the hot seat.  so if they all get fired next year, the new coordinator could be out the door as well. it's an extremely unattractive job. MILF had to go but this is typical Jets. Terrible hire to begin with and now musical chairs. they did the same thing to Sam. new  coordinator every year basically. We never hire correctly to begin with, where QBs can learn the same system and grow and develop.

I'd say we'll likely hire someone like Frank Reich, who can come in and do the OC job, but can also take over as interim head coach and get the inside running on the job permanently if Woody decides to clear house when the Jets are 5-8 after the first 13-14 weeks (depending on when the bye lands) of the season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aussie Jet said:

I'd say we'll likely hire someone like Frank Reich, who can come in and do the OC job, but can also take over as interim head coach and get the inside running on the job permanently if Woody decides to clear house when the Jets are 5-8 after the first 13-14 weeks (depending on when the bye lands) of the season.

He’s such an obvious candidate.  And saleh clearly lost any leverage now.  

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

i hope they try to get away from strictly Shanahan offense a bit and do more of power gap running scheme focal point... Breece

I've never been that big of a fan of Shanahan's style of WCO with outside Zone...I like offenses that try to stretch the field vertically....shanahan's offense has too many short passes near the LOS for me

I have a hard time seeing Saleh deviate tho....I think it's gonna be someone from the tree (Nathaniel Hackett??

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

If there truly was a mutual parting, it tells you that they gave him the chance to stay in a very much reduced capacity. Tells me they have a big name in mind, someone who will bring in a good. staff with people who have actually developed a QB, and probably would have no room for MLF.

I agree with the first part.  Have a hard time believing that they have a good shot at an established coordinator who's willing to come in and deal with this QB room mess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, carlito1171 said:

I've never been that big of a fan of Shanahan's style of WCO with outside Zone...

I have a hard time seeing Saleh deviate tho....I think it's gonna be someone from the tree (Nathaniel Hackett??

especially when you have a behemoth in Becton...gap scheme is so much easier to teach, draft to, and keep guys healthy

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

A dude like Reich may want to come here because he knows he’d be first in line for the HC job if Saleh gets canned next year.

I like this angle as well.

if he helps turn it around he is a top candidate to jump to a hc spot.

risk is if they suck again next year and they clean house, he prob does not get the jet job and might fall down the list a bit for others

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LaFleur was scapegoated

I don’t have a problem with firing LaFleur.  But if you going to do that, clean house with the entire coaching staff.

Joe Douglas is responsible for pulling the trigger on ZW.   Not the OC.

I don’t think prime Bill Walsh could develop ZW into a franchise QB in NYC

It was an impossible ask

Franchise??? How about a QB that can make a throw in the flat?  

A few thoughts that might round up to a penny

1. The QB, OL AND OC can all ‘stink’ at the same time.  Doesn’t have to be one or the other

2. It’s one thing to lose the fans.  But Zach & LaFleur seem to have both lost the locker room

3. Zach wasn’t going anywhere due to his contract so might as well hire someone who has a chance at turning him around, however low that might be.  It’s clear he went backwards under LaFleur

4. Of course the Jets are going to bring in a legitimate vet QB.  It would be career suicide if they didn’t

5. Did I mention the offensive players in that locker room are happy?  I’m sure there will be more to come on this

6. I wish LaFleur well.  I’m sure he’s a nice guy who tried his hardest.  Blame Saleh for hiring inexperience to develop inexperience.  I would be shocked if he got another OC position this off-season regardless of the reasoning given for his departure

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

The offense didn't score a td in 3 straight games and ppl are mad this dude is gone? 

My feelings exactly. In addition, I felt he showed no creativity, had no idea how to get other WRs than Wilson involved, and was generally overmatched.

Yes, the end of the season was disappointing. But this team won 4 games the year before and had a historically bad defense. They won 7 games this year and had a top 5 defense. Lots of work to be done on the offense but I still call this progress. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good luck getting a quality oc, stabbed in the back, no leadership, no hard line from the gm or the coach left twisting.

Maybe we get lucky and get someone good, more likely we will get a bum like hackett or matt nagy.

Good times!

eh there are 31 of these jobs in the world and a million candidates...will they pick the right one is the Q

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good luck getting a quality oc, stabbed in the back, no leadership, no hard line from the gm or the coach left twisting.

Maybe we get lucky and get someone good, more likely we will get a bum like hackett or matt nagy.

Good times!

McDaniel is starting Skylar Thompson in a game vs the Bills. Maybe he gets fired and they can scoop him up? 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It would be pretty hard to get worse results. 7th worst in total yards in 2021, 8th worst in 2022. 5th worst in PPG in 2021, 4th worst in 2022.

Don’t say that Barry. This is the Jets it can always be worse.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

There is a real chance the next guy is not as good.  

The running game was humming before all of the injuries...

Happy to take that chance.  LaFleur was bad. Maybe he'll be good in a decade or so.  You know... like Geno Smith.