Sean Payton wants what?

1 minute ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hello.  Nice to meet you.  Please tell me you are joking?  Another first time HC from the defensive side of the ball.   That would just about be it for me:

Al Groh

Herm Edwards

Eric Mangini

Rex Ryan

Todd Bowles

Robert Saleh

Really don’t understand the allure of first timers taking years to learn on the job when guys like Mcarthy and Peterson and even Mike Shanahan with many years of experience and proven track records of success get passed by in whatever process the Jets run   In what business or world does that make any sense?

None of those guys were Jets. Aaron will get it the minute he walks in. It won’t be like Saleh who treated it like a coronation when he took the job. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, slats said:

For his entire head coaching career, Sean Payton had Drew Brees as his QB in a dome in the NFC south. My suspicion is that he’s the most overrated coach in history, and that the team acquiring the rights to pay him a fortune will soon regret it. 

Plus Jimmy Graham. Literally that combination Breeze to Graham was unstoppable. A super tall ex-b-baller as a target for a short QB. Who woulda thunk? 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, slats said:

For his entire head coaching career, Sean Payton had Drew Brees as his QB in a dome in the NFC south. My suspicion is that he’s the most overrated coach in history, and that the team acquiring the rights to pay him a fortune will soon regret it. 

Well, he did call that one onside kick to win a Superbowl.  There is that.

I would not say he is the most overrated.  Like all successful coaches, he benefitted from having a top tier QB.  To your point though, do it again.

• Upvote 3

Payton doesn’t count against the cap. I do think he’s a good coach but honestly, we haven’t seen many high level coaches look as good when separated from their quarterback.

The key is guys who can make quarterbacks look good and develop them. Andy Reid obviously ticks that box. It looks like Daboll does unfortunately. Kyle Shanahan has had mixed results with different QB’s but overall positive.

I think that’s roughly what you want if you don’t have a quarterback. If you have one then the defensive coach route like Tomlin, Belichick, Vrabel can work but those guys raise the floor and aren’t going to help as much with a QB.

That being the case, I think taking a look at that Philadelphia tree that developed Hurts and the Detroit tree that’s creative and making Goff look good would be most interesting. I don’t know what Steichen does but I know Johnson is staying so there’s a chance that gets another year to flush itself out.

In the meantime I think talking to guys like Johnston and Patulloa about the OC job and trying to flush out how much they worked with Hurts and what they’d want to do process wise would be insightful. Wide range of outcomes but a high ceiling there.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Well, he did call that one onside kick to win a Superbowl.  There is that.

I would not say he is the most overrated.  Like all successful coaches, he benefitted from having a top tier QB.  To your point though, do it again.

For all his talent and advantages, he lead the Saints to 9 playoff appearances, 7 division championships, 3 NFC Championship appearances and one Super Bowl. In his 16 NFL seasons he won more than one playoff game in a season exactly once. 

I’m not saying he doesn’t have some genuine ability, but I am saying that he’s overrated as ****. He’s no cure-all. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm a big Sean Payton fan, but if you look at his resume vs. Mike McCarty's (who the world hates) you don't see much difference....

Is Sean Payton worth that $?

Not saying Payton is the choice.

Remember;  is no salary cap for coaches. 

But somehow, year in, year out, Jets under the Johnsons always feature a 1st time head coach (spare Gase, he of the cutting edge offense as per Chris Johnson) or one of the lower end of salaries among the NFL coaches. 

That's been the case going on 3 decades. 

• Upvote 2

I get it he is the name out there - but I just don't see him as being the saviour. 

Fix the QB and get a qualified/experienced OC. Please no first timers learning on the job.

This team has holes as do all - but I am not sur there is a team out there with such a glaring hole at QB when you look at the other talent on the roster than the Jets. 

I truly think you get the right QB in here - you will see a very different result than what we just witnessed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

For all his talent and advantages, he lead the Saints to 9 playoff appearances, 7 division championships, 3 NFC Championship appearances and one Super Bowl. In his 16 NFL seasons he won more than one playoff game in a season exactly once. 

I’m not saying he doesn’t have some genuine ability, but I am saying that he’s overrated as ****. He’s no cure-all. 

His teams had some of the worst defenses ever for multiple years. They had a stretch of 3 or 4 years where they went 7-9 each season because teams always managed to outscore their high flying offense. 

You also have 2 years of crazy Vikings wins in the playoffs, and it starts to add up. This guy isn't overrated. He may not be a cure-all, but he isn't overrated.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Is he bringing a young Drew Brees with him? 

If I'm not mistaken, no head coach has led two different teams to Lombardi trophies. Food for thought. 

Andy Reid is the closest guy to do it, as he led the eagles to the SB but lost. He still got both of his teams to conference champs 4 times in a row

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

Andy Reid is the closest guy to do it, as he led the eagles to the SB but lost. He still got both of his teams to conference champs 4 times in a row

For sure - and maybe Sean Payton is an Andy Reid level coach? 

It will be curious to see where he goes and how he does. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hex said:

His teams had some of the worst defenses ever for multiple years. They had a stretch of 3 or 4 years where they went 7-9 each season because teams always managed to outscore their high flying offense. 

You also have 2 years of crazy Vikings wins in the playoffs, and it starts to add up. This guy isn't overrated. He may not be a cure-all, but he isn't overrated.

He was at the helm of that team for 16 years. He’s not responsible for the defense in all that time?

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Not saying Payton is the choice.

Remember;  is no salary cap for coaches. 

But somehow, year in, year out, Jets under the Johnsons always feature a 1st time head coach (spare Gase, he of the cutting edge offense as per Chris Johnson) or one of the lower end of salaries among the NFL coaches. 

That's been the case going on 3 decades. 

Oh I didn't think you meant signing him for us. I just meant in general....is any coach really worth that? Unless you're a Belichick, Bill Walsh, Parcells, Gibbs, Andy Reid etc guy that's going to win you multiple titles.