Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm not crazy about landing Rodgers, especially if it cost significant draft capital. But I do like the "idea" of Rodgers because even if it is a mistake it is a short term mistake; he seems somewhat willing to teach Zach Wilson; and after being around Rodgers Zach's teammates will probably like Zach (as a person and teammate) a whole lot more.

This is soooo much a trademark Jetsy situation that you know your predicted outcome will come to fruition. It always has and always will.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bob Robbins said:

A lot of Jets fans were distraught after Carr signed with the Saints but I have been taking it as a signal that a deal with Rodgers is coming soon.

Rodgers and the Jets had an agreement weeks ago.  Probably as early as January.  Only the contract/compensation details have to be finalized.  We many not get a formal announcement until next week, though... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

we aren't drafting 4 o-linemen. It's a ridiculous idea.

Man ... i see that the hyperbolic subtext of my post skied over the heads of a lot of guys here .... or it was just a terrible attempt by me at saying we need to fill massive holes on the offensive line, prioritizing that over all other positions. And that it would not matter if Joe Montana himself was the QB if the OL cant protect him.

Edited by Dunnie

"Open to coming to NY" is kinda redundant seeing how he's talking to Joe Douglas. Don't think Aaron would talk to a GM of a team he has no interest in coming to!

But this is good news. Woody holding out for Aaron and letting Carr walk was a good decision, even if the Jets staff wanted Carr.

I suggested in the Carr thread that GB would eat $10m of Aarons contract in exchange for the Jets giving up a 2nd this year and a 2nd next, that could turn into a 1st. Giving up 2 seconds is what MacCagnan gave up to get Sammy Darnold, so it's not unreasonable.

My only concern is GB will have so much dead cap on the books when Aaron moves on, I'm not sure they can absorb an additional $10m of whatever they agree too.

Interesting Times 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BP said:

And now we all know why the Jets can’t find a good coach. Only a moron would work for a moron. And this is a perfect example. Reminds me of woody insisting on the Tebow signing 10 years ago only for the sole purpose of selling jerseys. And Rex was all on board. How did that work out?

Or the time that he said "We would love to have Revis back". Only problem was, Revis was under contract at that time..

He can't help himself. Has to be thrust in the mix. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All this is just deflection from JD's responsibility to get us a QB. 

Hell, the "Woody interfered" story may even be leaked by JD (or his allies) himself after he failed to land Carr, lol.  Lord knows that how Mac did things as GM here. 

Now, if he fails to land Rodgers too, and leaves us with some third-tier guy or worse, Wilson again, the leaked narrative will be "well, can't blame JD, the Owner ****ed it all up, JD wanted Carr all along and had him locked down.  Remember the "Carr is leaning Jets" leak story.....". 

Blaming the boogey-man of the interfering owner is a universal get out of jail with some fans, more of the same old excuse making. It's meaningless.  And depsite you claim, it's rarely supported by actual evidence, usually just media speculation and axe-grinding leakers.

It's JD's job and his job alone to build this team and find us a QB.  If he can't do it because the Owner interferes, he should quit and work for a team without such an Owner.  Since he hasn't quit, I don't believe it's happening to the degree some speculate it is.

I'm shocked that more folks aren't blaming Woody for Zach Wilson, but I'm sure that'll come in time, when all the Wilson fans finally realize they're wrong and start looking for someone to blame, lol.

Well, you are on record that "JD likes Wilson A LOT" and will be Jets starting qb at least half the season.

And I am on record that Woody doubled and tripled down in the media saying the Jets will have a veteran QB next season, or it will be egg on his face.

We will see how it turns out.

Stipulate that Rodgers would be a vast improvement over Wilson. Simply not sure how invested a 38 year old guy will be  with a full trophy case  and an imminent date at Canton for a yellow jacket fitting  soon after he retires. Rodgers is a very different kind of cat. Suspect he looks at the way the Bucs catered to Brady-time off mid camp, days off in season- and will want a lot of the same country club stuff. And really if he chooses to sign here with an owner so invested in him, nobody is going to say no to him. There is the lurking thought that Rodgers could almost any day say f___ this and pull the pin if things get dicey. 

I thought Carr was a better long term fit and would be more committed here. He was a solid QB under Gruden/Bisaccia and only became a problem child when McDaniel took over. That wasn't a coincidence. 

Rodgers not coming here would be the most Jets thing ever. And then were are in the world of sheet of DaltonBortlesMariotaMinshew. If it comes to that, would  rather they fortify the OL and give White a shot. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

I am secretly hoping that there has been a deal in place for a while.  Other than that..... just waiting.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a deal in place between us and Packers.  Rodgers is the wild card in all of this.  I think retirement is a long shot, but is there another team that will emerge that he would rather play for, or do he and the Packers decide to run it back another year.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Here is Mr. subtle and suave, non-meddling, talking about the qb position. Yeah, he is not personally invested in the process.

Agree 100% that was a bonehead interview that undermined Douglas. Also agree he's very involved in the process.  But don't agree we can take the word of some fantasy football dude that Woody nixed Carr... 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pretty sure the Packers have already made their decision.  The fact we're at March 7th and he's talking to the Jets doesn't exactly convey the all in attitude they wanted to see.  I don't see how permission to talk to Jets was ever granted unless they told him they're ready to move on. 

Packers put themselves in a position where Rodgers can force their hand though. All the Packers can do is basically tell him their plan - which they anticipated he wouldn't be on board with - and hope that he wants to go elsewhere. If he really wanted to, he can just tell the Packers he's playing for them and that's it. I don't think it comes to that because I don't think either side wants it (imagine Rodgers as the #2 QB lol), but Rodgers really does hold the cards

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

What I find hilarious about this stalemate is if the Ravens just kept tagging Jackson, they end up paying him 100mil guaranteed just placing on the franchise tag for 2 seasons.  So?  Why not just cough it up?  There isnt a single player in the NFL more valuable to him team (when available) and it's either that guy or reset and start over.  I know the Ravens have been thought of as a smart functioning organization but Bisciotti being the scumbag hie is and playing collusion w/ his buddies, is going to **** that team so hard because one of the owners is giving him the wink wink nod nod no more guaranteed contracts b.s. chatter but will 100% give Lamar what he wants if they do slap the nonexclusive on him. 

That's one year at a time though.

My guess is Lamar wants in the neighborhood of $200mm guaranteed.  With Jackson's playing style that type of guarantee can be really worrisome.  

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine below, what changing narratives do you see?

1. Suddenly, Elijah Moore becomes a dynamic WR who thrives underneath & in space 

2. Garrett Wilson becomes a deep ball threat, the one area he underperformed this past year (for some obvious reasons)

3. We begin to really like our new Tight Ends

4. The offensive linemen shockingly open up more holes (w/o loaded boxes)

5. The offensive linemen seem to care more about protecting the QB, even running over to help him up 

6. Denzel Mims actually has a real role:  slants, fades, and deep routes

They all improve

1 hour ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Trey Wingo has friends on the packers... One is probably on AR inner circle... Hence why he tweeted 2 years ago that Rodgers was coming back if Cobb was signed. 

The reason why nobody else has it is because he probably hasn't told anyone yet other then discussing with friends... 

Now the packers and Jets are probably ironing out a trade package that is fair and maybe includes other players so... It might take a second. 

JD hates leaks in his building and even put out false stories to find leaks a few years back... So like most of the front office of the jets at the moment they are all tight lipped much like the hill almost trade

This is what we "hope" is happening

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Small point of correction - Farve could give his perspective on playing for the fanbase - and maybe Woody - but otherwise it was an entirely different regime, different training facility (Favre was at Hofstra) and different stadium.

And no Jen Sterger

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

You never waiver, which is commendable.  

I just don’t get the logic that you’re all in on Jimmy G, Minshew, Tannehill etc for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb.  But you’re 100% out on having Aaron effing Rodgers for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb?

Your not looking for a franchise qb when you bring in Rodgers.  You are putting every resource into winning right now.  Look at the shape the Rams are in.  Look at the shape the Bucs are in.  That is what happens to your franchise when you make this type of move.  Those teams will stink for 5 years while they dig out of the "all in" hole.

And no, we are not winning a super bowl even if we have aaron rodgers so dont give me the "well those teams won a super bowl" nonsense.  Rodgers couldnt even get past jimmy garaopolo at home in the playoffs.  He has 0 chance of getting past mahomes, burrow, herbert, allen, lawrence etc. 

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine below, what changing narratives do you see?

1. Suddenly, Elijah Moore becomes a dynamic WR who thrives underneath & in space 

2. Garrett Wilson becomes a deep ball threat, the one area he underperformed this past year (for some obvious reasons)

3. We begin to really like our new Tight Ends

4. The offensive linemen shockingly open up more holes (w/o loaded boxes)

5. The offensive linemen seem to care more about protecting the QB, even running over to help him up 

6. Denzel Mims actually has a real role:  slants, fades, and deep routes

This would have happened anyway once  MLF went packing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Your not looking for a franchise qb when you bring in Rodgers.  You are putting every resource into winning right now.  Look at the shape the Rams are in.  Look at the shape the Bucs are in.  That is what happens to your franchise when you make this type of move.  Those teams will stink for 5 years while they dig out of the "all in" hole.

And no, we are not winning a super bowl even if we have aaron rodgers so dont give me the "well those teams won a super bowl" nonsense.  Rodgers couldnt even get past jimmy garaopolo at home in the playoffs.  He has 0 chance of getting past mahomes, burrow, herbert, allen, lawrence etc. 

Good point. Let's roll with Wilson again so we can still suck NOW (and probably still 3 years from now too).

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Woody holding out for Aaron and letting Carr walk was a good decision, even if the Jets staff wanted Carr.

Would not have went down like that unless they already had Rodgers onboard.  It was a done deal since January. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Good point. Let's roll with Wilson again so we can still suck NOW (and probably still 3 years from now too).

QB1 - Garropolo/Tannehill

QB2- Minshew/Mariotta

QB3- Zach Wilson

Please take note on where Zach Wilson falls on this list for next year my friend.

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 3
  • More Ugh 1