JETS TRADE UP TO THREE MAC DADDY IS A PIMP

T0mShane

The Jets have to believe that 3 different QBs are worth the #3 pick.  It's as simple as that.  You don't make this move if you only love two QBs and then HOPE that both don't get taken in front of you.

Some quick history.  The year was 2003 and the Jets were drafting 13th and 22nd overall.  They had big time needs at two positions, DT and WR. Chicago held the 4th overall pick and the Jets were targeting 3 different players (WR Andre Johnson, WR Charles Rogers and DT Dewayne Robertson).  But the Jets wouldn't move up to #4 until they knew AT LEAST ONE of those guys would be there.  Back in 2003 and the era of big-time money for top draft picks teams with the #1 overall pick were allowed to start negotiating contracts with potential draftees BEFORE the draft.  A couple days prior to the NFL Draft Cincinnati, who was picking 1st, began negotiations with Carson Palmer and word got out that a deal had ultimately be reached between Palmer and the Bengals.  This was the green light that pushed the Jets to trade up with Chicago (#13 and #22 for the #4).  Palmer, Rogers and Johnson went with the first 3 picks and the Jets selected Robertson (who they thought was a potential Warren Sapp at the 3-technique spot and who had ran a 4.8 40-yard dash at the Combine which was stellar for a 300 lb man).  As usual, the pick didn't work out in the long run as Robertson was playing with a degenerative knee condition, was ultimately traded and out of the NFL before age 30.

Not sure why I just wrote all that.  Maybe because my brain holds useless information from 2003 while I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.  But suffice to say that you don't move up to #3 unless you absolutely love 3 players.  If the Jets think Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are all worth the 3rd pick then they do this move.  If Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2, then the Jets pick Chubb at #3 get ready for all hell to break loose here!

Go Jets!?!?!?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that impresses me the most is the almost unanimous sentiment that this was a good trade.  That almost never happens here.

For anyone still doubting, ask yourself, this...if BUF moved up and you found out this was the price to beat them, would you be happy right now?  There...I thought so :)

I mean, its either going to sink the franchise down the pooper for years (which to be fair is essentially where we already are), or revitalize it with a franchise QB.  A franchise qb's value is essentially infinite, so I mean its worth it if we *really* get our guy.

So in terms of risk/reward it has to be seen to be worth the risk.  

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder how much influence they’ll give Bates in making this call, because I think if it’s left up to Macc, he’s falling for Allen’s traits every time.

He took Bates to Rosen’s pro day.(probably Mayfield too) Think it meant a lot. Rosen fits the WCO so perfectly though. He probably told him that, too.

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The great thing about this is that the Jets really just gave the Colts the 6th pick in the draft to move up 3 spots (From a Jets perspective). 

Think about it. Look at the Jets history with 2nd round picks. If this works out no one will care, if it doesnt no one should point as much as a finger at Macc given our history with 2nd rounders. 

I rag on Macc alot, especially this past week, but he played this perfectly. Kudos to that man for making this happen. 

And when you look at who’s going to be available where the Jets pick in round two, there aren’t a ton of to-die-for athletes dropping in that range. No freaky edge guys, no mutant receivers, and no OLT prospects. You’re talking about guys like Sony Michel and James Washington, or the centers. Meh.

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Browns have to take a QB at one now I think

I think they always had to assume a QB was going in the #3 spot.  It didn't really matter which one.  The only questions for CLE are 1) Will the Giants go QB or RB and 2) Do they have 2 or 3 equally rated prospects.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Given the fact that Bates is likely to install a west coast style system I think this is all about Rosen or Mayfield. 

I'd be fine with Allen if they think he's the guy but I just don't think so.

This is where I'm at as well.  Rosen, Mayfield and then Allen.  Just need to see what the Giants do at #2.  

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

He took Bates to Rosen’s pro day.(probably Mayfield too) Think it meant a lot. Rosen fits the WCO so perfectly though. He probably told him that, too.

Agree, I thought that was telling.

If this winds up being for Allen, then good god, we could be in trouble

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes i'm not convinced Mayfield does though, he's not a great anticipation thrower from what I've seen.

Just now, T0mShane said:

And when you look at who’s going to be available where the Jets pick in round two, there aren’t a ton of to-die-for athletes dropping in that range. No freaky edge guys, no mutant receivers, and no OLT prospects. You’re talking about guys like Sony Michel and James Washington, or the centers. Meh.

Let's not be completely dismissive.  You would love to have gotten Michel and Ragnow in the 2nd round.  But I'd rather have Rosen than Mayfield/Michel/Ragnow all day every day.  This year was always and only about getting the QB.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The general reason for the happiness is that nobody thought Macc would have the balls to do it and he did it

Thats the general reason you're happy? The rest of us is, that we just leap frogged into a much better position to get our QB.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I haven't been here too long, but this is generally the happiest and most in agreement I've seen this place.

Eithet everyone is already drunk for St Patty's(I'm on my way there) or this was a good trade.

Just wait until April -- 1/2 of the board will hate whoever we pick.  1/2 of the board will love whoever we pick.  And we will all be going at each other again.

28 minutes ago, Peteo said:

Whichever QB the Jets take he better be that franchise QB they have been looking for or they just over paid.  Time will tell.

Even if we swing and miss on this pick, I'm glad we're finally taking a chance on a QB.  Gotta be in it to win it.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I haven't been here too long, but this is generally the happiest and most in agreement I've seen this place.

Eithet everyone is already drunk for St Patty's(I'm on my way there) or this was a good trade.

This is our hell. An Irish bar where it’s St. Patrick’s day everyday, forever.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think they always had to assume a QB was going in the #3 spot.  It didn't really matter which one.  The only questions for CLE are 1) Will the Giants go QB or RB and 2) Do they have 2 or 3 equally rated prospects.

Agreed, but I think taking Barkley at 1 now makes someone moving into #2 for a QB far more likely, which means they'd get third QB. #3 being a QB is no longer an assumption.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely true but 

1. I do think they love Barkley.  A lot.

2. There is, supposedly, a chance that Denver takes Nelson if the QBs that fall aren't the ones they want.  They could be just playing it safe.

I have a feeling that they are head over heels for Barkley though.

It’s too bad the draft isn’t in NYC anymore, because the Giants picking Barkley would be that once in a lifetime pick that would have every Giants AND Jets fan in the building losing their sh*t with joy

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Just wait until April -- 1/2 of the board will hate whoever we pick.  1/2 of the board will love whoever we pick.  And we will all be going at each other again.

If its Allen or Jackson this place is going to burn to the ground.

Archived