ESPN-NYJ 73% chance at Top 5 pick?

GreenWhite

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Whomever the GM/Draft person is, they need to come up with the following from draft/FA (bare minimum):

#1 WR

2 starters on the OL

a legit pass rusher.

and that's just to get us so we're competitive next year.

Not sure if you're kidding, but that's completely unrealistic, no matter who the GM is.  

And while we 100% need a pass rusher - even if Bosa was on the board, I would trade down.  A pass rusher would take us from 3 wins to, what, 6?  I want offense only, I want Darnold to develop.  A very good Darnold with a good offense will consistently get us to the playoffs over many seasons.

Not that it ever happens this way, but I would take a #1 WR with our first pick (assuming there is one on the board), and then OL with 2 of our next 3 picks.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Not sure if you're kidding, but that's completely unrealistic, no matter who the GM is.  

And while we 100% need a pass rusher - even if Bosa was on the board, I would trade down.  A pass rusher would take us from 3 wins to, what, 6?  I want offense only, I want Darnold to develop.  A very good Darnold with a good offense will consistently get us to the playoffs over many seasons.

Not that it ever happens this way, but I would take a #1 WR with our first pick (assuming there is one on the board), and then OL with 2 of our next 3 picks.  

No it's not unrealistic.  With our Salary cap situation and if someone who can actually do draft talent evaluation that should be within reason.

3 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

If that happens do you try to trade down or draft a stud OL or pass rusher?

Depends on how the draft pans out and if the guy we have highly listed is still there. Wouldn't mind us picking up some additional draft ammo after losing our 2nd rounder this year.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

No it's not unrealistic.  With our Salary cap situation and if someone who can actually do draft talent evaluation that should be within reason.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that you were including FA.  Thought you were talking about draft only.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Many said the same thing about Todd Gurley. 

With our OL???!!! Look at Conner vs. Le'veon Bell. I could run behind that OL and look OK! 

I'd be all over a stud WR or 10 year plug at LT. Gives Sam a "GO TO" WR (Think Odell or Hopkins or AB) which will open up the run game.

All in my own humble opinion. :JustJoined:

Bosa may be the only transcendent talent in this draft. He's going #1 to Oakland so I don't see a scenario where he falls to us but if he's there then whoever's making the pick better sprint to the podium. 

So you’re saying take the pass rusher and then don’t address the offense until the third rd? I find that Hard to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Without a second round pick we may only draw one starter.  We need OL but boy that really doesn't move the needle on what we see next year.  I really would like to see a blue chip WR who fights for the ball ala young Brandon Marshall.  We really need an ace target for Sam.  Someone who comes back for the ball, makes the catch when covered and fights hard to prevent an interception.  I saw a sickening lack of this this season.  

I'd love to be picking ahead of the Giants.  They want a quarterback.  We blackmail them that we're ready to trade our #3 pick to a team leapfrogging them at #4 to get a QB.  We slide back a spot and still get the best OT in the Draft while getting the Giants 2nd round pick (and totally screwing up that pick by the way).

We finally have our QB so the Tankathon is way less interesting than in the past but-

My preferences:

Bosa - can’t pass up a Khalil Mack type beast 

Any LT worthy of a top 10 pick - I don’t trade down and get cute, I take the LT.  Candidates would be Jonah Williams followed by Greg Little (the Ole Miss guy who I expect to get torn apart in predraft analysis) and maybe David Edwards out of Wisconsin. 

Trade down for any other scenario- only really being if the above LT’s don’t scout well when analysis really ramps up. 

—_——_____

Bark away but I strongly want Mac running this draft.  Williams and Adams, Williamson and Maye, are a new legit core. His savvy trade up last year was a master stroke- should be legendary within a decade.  He knows what this team needs and he’s the type that has a smart plan in place. I think he signs 3 marquee FA’s before the draft. Le’Veon Bell along with 2 of the pass rushers- Dante Fowler and maybe Ziggy Ansah or Demarcus Lawrence.

hell probably also sign a decent guard like Roger Saffold and then the draft where I expect a LT.  Beachem is under contract next season and I’d move him to the right side and let She’ll be a backup swing tackle. 

Top rookie LT - Saffold- Long - Winters - Beachum

RB  Le’Veon, McGuire, Crowell

TE - emerging Herndon

WR -Robby, Quincy and sign Randall Cobb 

QB Sam FU Darnold

welcome to respectability 

with 2 pass rushers this defense will be legit

one year from now we’re 500 and ascending

Jets need to go 3-13 and draft either Josh Allen or Nick Bosa in the top 3 and then focus on OL/WR the rest of the draft.

Then in free agency, target 2 starting-caliber OL, Leveon Bell, Enunwa, and perhaps Golden Tate.   Get an offensive-minded head coach in here and let's go to work.

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love Bosa and he will be a great player in the NFL, but there is something about that family that rubs me the wrong way.

1- Joey had a long holdout... could blame the Chargers, but still didn't look great

2- Joey is dealing with a season long injury that didn't originally seem like a season long injury

3- Nick Bosa suffered an injury in college and decided not to return this year, even though, he could have returned and helped his team. 

The family seems much more concerned with their careers than being all in for their team. That's not crazy, but if I am drafting a kid that high I want him all in and playing banged up. 

I like what your saying. But I still take Bosa if he’s there when we pick that kinda talent is hard to pass up

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

As it stands, I prefer we trade down 5 or so slots and pickup a 2nd round pick. This draft feels like it’s going to be heavy D up top. So we should still be able to get a top offensive player if we drop to the 10-12 range.

Anything else you want to order while we still have the waiter here?

I'd give John Brown the money you'd spend on Robbie Anderson (I'd try to trade Robbie for whatever you could get). I'd reup Quincy (he shouldn't be too expensive with his injury history), plus I'd sign Tyrell Williams.

So free agent skill position signings, Lev Bell, Tyrell Williams, Josh Brown, reup Q & id do a 1 year prove it deal with Tyler Eifert. 

Williams-Brown-Enunwa-Burnett- Herndon- Eifert- Bell- Crowell- McGuire

Jets could either go LT (Jonah Williams) or Pass rusher (Bosa),  if we end up top 2 in the draft and go all Oline if Bosa, or pick Williams + 3rd round Center + BPA (defense) with second 3rd rounder, still have 4 picks for depth/STs.

12 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

So you’re saying take the pass rusher and then don’t address the offense until the third rd? I find that Hard to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In theory I agree but if there's nobody there on offense to take, what are you going to do? We could reach for somebody or we could trade down. Reaching for an offensive player would be a big mistake and trading down takes two. And Bosa could be a great pass rusher and fill a massive hole we've had forever

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love Bosa and he will be a great player in the NFL, but there is something about that family that rubs me the wrong way.

1- Joey had a long holdout... could blame the Chargers, but still didn't look great

2- Joey is dealing with a season long injury that didn't originally seem like a season long injury

3- Nick Bosa suffered an injury in college and decided not to return this year, even though, he could have returned and helped his team. 

The family seems much more concerned with their careers than being all in for their team. That's not crazy, but if I am drafting a kid that high I want him all in and playing banged up. 

Totally fair - it's going to be interesting to see the pre-draft process pick him apart

I didn’t put any thought into this situation and didn’t expect us to do so poorly. If we have a top 3 pick and already have a FQB, we HAVE to consider trading down for once.

It did wonders for Cleveland and is a no brainer for talent devoid teams. I don’t care how great Nick Bosa is, free agency has NO legit O-line options and o-line will singlehandedly cripple Sam and our season AGAIN.

We are stuck drafting o-line and going with a simple man blocking scheme again. Bosa is a luxury that we can’t afford due to atrocious planning but mac. It will be a very tough decision but I’d give the edge to a trade down and multiple top 3 round picks since Themis draft is defense heavy and some good players should drop.

19 hours ago, peebag said:

I agree with you that is what the Jets should do, but who are the FA's that are going to be impact players?

This FA class, IMO, is meh at best.  Jets also don't have a second round pick.

We do have to think about whether the best OL available when the Jets pick is worthy of that spot, but if the Jets can trade down not too far and pick up a 2nd round pick, they could theoretically walk away with 3 offensive starters, including 2 OL, in the first three rounds of this draft.  

With a better offense and better coach, I could theoretically see the Jets leave the defense as is and win more games next year than this year.  

On 11/13/2018 at 1:52 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agree 100%.  The dad was a first round bust who was always injured too.  Pass.

Absolutely trade down, and have the raiders on speed dial for a trade down. They'll have plenty of ammunition. A handful of intriguing WR worth taking in the teens to 20s. If we can swap out a top 5 for a couple of mid to later 1's, I'm all over that. 

Take the best tackle.  There will be pass rushers in free agency and this team isn't ready to invest that much in a WR.  If Darnold isn't upright, a top 5 pick WR is useless to them.  Take a WR in rnd 4-5 who needs time to develop. 

rnd 1 - Tackle

rnd 2 - RB/LB

rnd 3 - whichever you didn't pick in rnd 2

rnd 4 - G/C/WR

rnd 5 - one of the 2 you didn't pick in rnd 4

rnd 6/7 - who cares?

Never thought I’d say this, but I hope we lose out. Would get the HC fired for sure but I want the GM gone too. And frankly, after 5-1, 5-1 and 3-13 seasons with 10 straight losses, I don’t think the Johnsons have any reason to keep Macc. 

On 11/14/2018 at 2:04 AM, David Harris said:

Top rookie LT - Saffold- Long - Winters - Beachum

RB  Le’Veon, McGuire, Crowell

TE - emerging Herndon

WR -Robby, Quincy and sign Randall Cobb 

QB Sam FU Darnold

Hard pass on Cobb, dude cannot stay healthy.

1 hour ago, DirtyJersey said:

Take the best tackle.  There will be pass rushers in free agency and this team isn't ready to invest that much in a WR.  If Darnold isn't upright, a top 5 pick WR is useless to them.  Take a WR in rnd 4-5 who needs time to develop. 

rnd 1 - Tackle

rnd 2 - RB/LB

rnd 3 - whichever you didn't pick in rnd 2

rnd 4 - G/C/WR

rnd 5 - one of the 2 you didn't pick in rnd 4

rnd 6/7 - who cares?

The best OT in the draft is rated as a Middle first round pick.  There’s no Brick in this draft

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The best OT in the draft is rated as a Middle first round pick.  There’s no Brick in this draft

That's what I'm afraid of. Nick Bosa or Allen sitting there & we take Jonah Williams because he's the best of an average group of LTs. 

On 11/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I'll admit I'm not a mathematician but I think it's worth noting we probably have a 99.9% probability at at top 5 pick at this point.

I think you wait and see where we land but trading down makes a LOT of sense. We have lots of needs.

Said this before, but I’d try and trade down twice.  One quick flip for a QB hungry team and then again into the teens.  We already have the one player who if all works out, can make a huge difference.  No other player is going to do that, outside of maybe pass rusher.  We need to support the QB now with about a half a dozen guys.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Nick Bosa or Allen sitting there & we take Jonah Williams because he's the best of an average group of LTs. 

I want the jets to trade down. Draft Jachai Polite in the 1st. Then maneuver to get Dalton Risner and Max sharp[ing. Risner at left guard. Sharping at tackle. Sign Matt paradis and shaq lawson in free agency. That's my dream offseason.

Archived