Jason Mcintyre: Head Coaching rumors

Jetsbb

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Since their starting QB is in a toss-up for offensive rookie of the year, and since they won 5 of their last 6 with interim (and one-time HCing stiff) HC Williams and his old man (not to mention defensive-minded) ways that can never win games?

Maybe it has to do with having the following ready to go (most locked up for the next 2-3 seasons or more):

• starting QB with 3 more cheap years left (plus 5th year option)
  • "#1" WR (more that than anyone we've got, anyway)
  • playmaker RB with 3 more cheap years left
  • solid young, veteran 3rd down back and spot-starter behind him
  • 1st round pedigree TE showing up in year 2
  • 3 offensive linemen arguably each top 5-10 at their respective positions and who are respectively 26, 27, and 28 years old
  • RT about on par with our own, but is locked up at a relatively cheap $7MM per. Plus he's cuttable after the coming year, and I hear that's the hallmark of a smart GM's work
  • one of the game's best young edge rushers and former #1 overall pick
  • one of the game's best young pro bowl ILBs taken ~80 slots after Darron Lee in the same draft
  • one of the game's best young CBs just finishing up his pro bowl rookie season
  • one of the game's best young SSs making less than half what ours makes plus is in line for a far cheaper 5th year option in 2021
  • GM with a proven track record -- a proven good track record, that is

Yeah, why would any HC candidate want to go there instead?

Hey, **** the Browns, but they're no longer an unattractive destination for a HC.

I think the HC candidates were saying they wanted to go to the Browns even before the winning streak.  And we have a great young QB, a ton of cap room, a high draft pick and NY.

All that PLUS JetNation.com.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Since their starting QB is in a toss-up for offensive rookie of the year, and since they won 5 of their last 6 with interim (and one-time HCing stiff) HC Williams and his old man (not to mention defensive-minded) ways that can never win games?

Maybe it has to do with having the following ready to go (most locked up for the next 2-3 seasons or more):

• 3 offensive linemen arguably each top 5-10 at their respective positions and who are respectively 26, 27, and 28 years old
  • RT about on par with our own, but is locked up at a relatively cheap $7MM per. Plus he's cuttable after the coming year, and I hear that's the hallmark of a smart GM's work
  • one of the game's best young pro bowl ILBs taken ~80 slots after Darron Lee in the same draft
  • one of the game's best young SSs making less than half what ours makes plus is in line for a far cheaper 5th year option in 2021

Hey, **** the Browns, but they're no longer an unattractive destination for a HC.

And, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. With the added benefit of seeing your river burn

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the HC candidates were saying they wanted to go to the Browns even before the winning streak.  And we have a great young QB, a ton of cap room, a high draft pick and NY.

All that PLUS JetNation.com.

Also I would rather coach Darnold than Mayfield.  Mayfield is very talented, but I don't care for his antics. No need to be demonstrative to the Bengals sidelines (Hue Jackson). Darnold two years younger and the consummate professional.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They’ve got a top five CB, a top five edge rusher, and a franchise QB, all on rookie deals and all under the age of 23. The Jets have Darnold and the Stephon Marbury of strong safeties. 

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Frankly, I think they’d be pretty damn stupid to get rid of Williams/Kitchens at this point considering their sh*tastic history with coaches and overall performance.

Give Williams the official HC title on a 2 year deal and tell him that if he goes 9-7 or better next year, we’ll commit to you longterm.

Agreed. Hasn't Williams won more games in 2 1/2 mos. than they did in 3 years?

He reiterated something that seems to be a common theme, the Jets are looking at coaches with HC experience. Although he said NFL HC experience and then put out the name of a college coach. So who the hell knows. I like this guy. But just like getting a ST guy, we need to be ready to bring in really good coordinators. 

He’s saying we’re never gonna get an established NFL guy with former HC experience, so be prepared for a 2nd tier college coach (I.E. not one with NFL experience) or another Coordinator.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

What on earth could the Jets like about Ken Wisenhunt?  I dont want McCarthy but at least you can make an argument for him.  Wisenhunt would be an absolutely horrendous hire.

Wisenhunt. Lol. Wtf. This guy will only set us back another 5 years and waste Sam. This better not be anywhere close to true. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I haven't been keeping up with him but two things I know.

1. Jason M is a huge Jets fan

2. Dude got paid when he sold the big lead to USA Today. Got seriously paid.

The only thing you need to know is that he got his start as an editor at Us Weekly.

Anyone brushing this off doesn’t follow college football much.

This guy is a highlt respected coach who is known for being extremely detailed-oriented on both sides of the ball. X’s and O’s guy who is known as a leader of men.

I would be very happy with this hire, and curious to see what route he would go with OC and DC’s.

He isn’t #1 on my wish list, but if we’re going the college route, this would be a slam dunk. 

Whisenhunt was fired from Tennesse for poor QB protection schemes.  Like having rookie tackles attempt to block JJ Watt 1v1.  That and similar epic fails with other weak tackles in 1v1 against guys like Cam Wake.

I don't want a moron like that anywhere near Sam Darnold.

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anyone brushing this off doesn’t follow college football much.

This guy is a highlt respected coach who is known for being extremely detailed-oriented on both sides of the ball. X’s and O’s guy who is known as a leader of men.

I would be very happy with this hire, and curious to see what route he would go with OC and DC’s.

He isn’t #1 on my wish list, but if we’re going the college route, this would be a slam dunk. 

A leader of men ages 18- 21. I get it, but, we have to get it right this time and this hire seems like too far a reach.

36 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

A leader of men ages 18- 21. I get it, but, we have to get it right this time and this hire seems like too far a reach.

The age factor reference, I respond with today’s millenial athletes in their late 20’s and early 30’s are not that much different or mature than they were in college.

Also, I say leader of men because part of a HC is leading the cooridnators, position coaches, and the program’s operations.

A lot of today’s college HC’s have real experience running an entire organization, somethinf pro coordinator-1st time HC’s never did.

But yes...any coach without pro experience will have risk attached. I do think he’s be great though.

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How hard is it for the richie rich, dickbag Johnson Bros to throw $10 mill a year at Shanahan/Harbaugh and have a coach the majority of the fanbase can feel comfortable with?

Could care less about a coach the fan base can fell comfortable with. More important is a coach the players can buy into and produce for. Hell we all have opinions just look at last off season and the divide over what QB to draft. Hire a new coach let him create a staff and show me what you can produce that’s my comfort zone. 

Archived