Jonotthan Harrison is our starting center?

PS17

59 minutes ago, freestater said:

Harrison (despite being better than Long) is a liability. Winters is a liability. Shell is coming off of an injury and Beachum is serviceable at best. Wasting picks on ILBs (after paying Mosely a fortune) and trading away chances at improving the line, to grab a crap DB in round 12 is comical negligence 

No oline in the 6th round was starting day 1. We drafted the best pass blocking Olineman in the draft in round 4. 

We added a pro-bowler to the oline in FA. 

The oline was NOT neglected, it just wasn't completely retooled to contain all pros in a single off season. Long was a horrible center, it was really bad but Harrison was fine when he came in once bowles finally decided that 10 bad snaps a game was too many

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

We've been screwed at Center ever since they didn't sign Paradis. A third rounder or whatever might not even have gotten the start but it would have been upside at least.

Harrison is a backup being asked to start unless a box of scraps impresses. That's the reality of the situation. I refuse to content with it, a fair outing as a BACKUP be damned. 

This offseason's been so weird. The Jets needed a Center, offensive playmaker and Pass Rusher and got one of those things (Bell) and some top tier defensive players up the middle. I'm not unhappy about the talent at hand but the outstanding issues remain outstanding issues.

Agree with this. 

The Jets basically signed/drafted three premium players this offseason....Bell, Mosley and Q...

Bell was a great signing but Mosley and Q, while very good players, were not major holes for this team.  MLB and DL were not the reason we lost games.  They were luxury signings/picks on a team that is simply not in a position to make luxury picks/signings.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Starting center???? He’s literally our only center. We made through FA and the draft without bringing in one additional player for the position.

Value ave analytics baby!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Seriously, there's no real plan here - it's just add players he likes...doesn't matter the type of defense they want to run, doesn't matter the type of offense they want to run...

Doesn't matter what holes the team has - 

BPA in draft and seemingly FA too.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, funaz said:

No oline in the 6th round was starting day 1. We drafted the best pass blocking Olineman in the draft in round 4. 

We added a pro-bowler to the oline in FA. 

The oline was NOT neglected, it just wasn't completely retooled to contain all pros in a single off season. Long was a horrible center, it was really bad but Harrison was fine when he came in once bowles finally decided that 10 bad snaps a game was too many

Wasn't Cajuste and Jordan sitting kn the board when Macc started getting all cute with his ridiculous *way too late* trading down?

• Upvote 2

we’ve had two HOF caliber centers in Mawae and Mangold. We are spoiled. You don’t ned HOF caliber centers. 

Good teams win with regular centers. Harrison is regular. He’s a center. Get ball to QB. That is all.

Thank you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I believe Harrison will be a better than average center this season... he'll have better coaching and the trust of his HC... 

“I watched enough last year on Jonotthan that I know what he brings to the table, especially his intelligence and his ability to run that group, which I was really impressed with,” Gase said. “The way that I look at it is, that center spot, it’s not 1973 where we’re playing every game as a 3-4 defense and he’s going against a 364-pound nose. His job is going to be moving laterally a lot of the times and helping guards. We’re not going to play a ton of 3-4 teams this year. He doesn’t have Vince Wolfork going at him. He has a lot of the abilities that we need, in this offense against the teams that we’re going to be playing this year.”

xactly 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

I believe Harrison will be a better than average center this season... he'll have better coaching and the trust of his HC... 

“I watched enough last year on Jonotthan that I know what he brings to the table, especially his intelligence and his ability to run that group, which I was really impressed with,” Gase said. “The way that I look at it is, that center spot, it’s not 1973 where we’re playing every game as a 3-4 defense and he’s going against a 364-pound nose. His job is going to be moving laterally a lot of the times and helping guards. We’re not going to play a ton of 3-4 teams this year. He doesn’t have Vince Wolfork going at him. He has a lot of the abilities that we need, in this offense against the teams that we’re going to be playing this year.”

This the same Gase that fielded an arguably worse offensive line than the Jets embarrassment?

7 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I'd put $2.50 on the Jets having a new center before the season starts... They either wait for a roster cut/cap casualty guy, or swing a mid-level trade to get a guy who can at least be borderline adequate... Nothing crazy like a 1st round pick, but maybe just a vet that's going to lose playing time.

Odds are it's not going to be a strength of this team... But if they can be average, it's a win at this point. 

What team is going to cut a starting caliber Center?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

This the same Gase that fielded an arguably worse offensive line than the Jets embarrassment?

The Jets hired a very reputable Oline coach in Frank Pollack... I believe with his coaching & what the Oline will be asked to do in Gase's offense they will perform much better than people think... Plus Miami's Oline suffered through nothing but injuries... 

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/11/10/18081912/miami-dolphins-injuries-offensive-line-changes-ted-larsen-jake-brendel-laremy-tunsil-jawuan-james

Head coach Adam Gase: ‘If you’ve got a pulse, you’re in the mix’ for Dolphins offensive line

By Kevin Nogle@thephinsider Nov 10, 2018, 9:19am EST

The Miami Dolphins are again faced with an offensive line shakeup as injuries continue to decimate the position group. The team has two opening day starters, left guard Josh Sitton and center Daniel Kilgore, on injured reserve; they have two starting tackles, both of whom missed snaps last week with injuries; and, they have the replacement starting left guard listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

It has been rough for the five men tasked with protecting quarterback Brock Osweiler, who of course is playing in place of an injured Ryan Tannehill.

Miami’s offensive line this weekend could trot onto the field with only one starter from back in Week 1 - right guard Jesse Davis. Left tackle Laremy Tunsil and his right side compatriot Ja’Wuan James have both been dealing with knee injuries this week and are questionable for the game. “Yeah, it’s going to be game time,” Dolphins head coach Adam Gase said on Friday. “The fact that we had them out there [practicing Friday], it’s always good. But we’ll see [on Saturday] how they feel. It’s going to go up to the game.”

The Dolphins will likely be without Ted Larsen, who replaced Sitton this season at left guard, as he works through a neck injury that kept him limited in practice all week and has him listed as doubtful for the game. “He’s struggled the last couple of weeks,” Gase said of Larsen’s injury. “We didn’t do as much with him this week. He’s going to be probably doubtful for the game. We’ve got to get him some rest and get him recovered.”

Miami has their bye week in Week 11, meaning Larsen would have two weeks to recover before the team’s next game at the Indianapolis Colts.

The Dolphins could look to Jake Brendel, who spent the first eight weeks of the season on injured reserve, to start in Larsen’s position. “Yeah, I mean, we’ll see,” Gase said of Brendel. “We’ve got to see what happens with the tackles too. We’ve got about nine different lineups.”

Another option Miami could use is to start veteran center Wesley Johnson, who the team signed last month. Asked if Johnson was a possibility, Gase laughed and replied, “If you’ve got a pulse, you’re in the mix. We’re out of guys.”

Miami activated second-year guard Isaac Asiata from the practice squad this week, giving them some more depth along the offensive line. Asiata appeared in one game last year as a rookie in a season the coaching staff described as a red-shirt season for the fifth-round pick. He has spent all of this season on the practice squad until this week.

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't get this McGovern love. I watched him for 3 years. His best position was guard. He struggled at point of attack. he was able to move well, but did not dominate.

Just because someone has a "C" attached to his resume, does not mean the Jets should draft him.

Sign Wiesnewski

He's also 25yrs old.

18 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I mean a rookie wasnt gonna start right away.

Mangold did.

Bradbury (in this draft class) will.

Of course rookie Centers can start right away.

On topic, yes, I expect Harrison to be our Center.  The odds of a legit starter-level Center being cut loose in camp is somewhat low.

• Upvote 2

I remember asking you pre combine if there were any PSU Oline guys worth drafting, having seen a couple going mid range in early mocks. I was thinking of the guys we had drafted back in the day that were really good for us....Roger Duffy and Kareem McKenzie. I know, some of our regulars here weren't even born yet.? You said pretty much the same thing that you just posted and I trust your judgement, especially about Penn State. The only thing that makes me pause is that Dallas was the team to pick McGovern, and they know how to build a line.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What team is going to cut a starting caliber Center?  

Well sure, no one is going to cut their opening day starter... But there will be some cap casualties and roster crunch guys that pop up. It happens every year, so I'm just crossing my fingers that maybe one of those is a center with some experience or potential.

I'm not sure I really want him, but A.Q. Shipley in Arizona for example... He's 33 and he busted his ACL before last season. Rookie Mason Cole played well and cemented himself as the starter... They also drafted another center in the draft this year.

So now Ship will be heading into camp looking to fight for a backup role.

He's only making I think 2 million, so he will probably stick with them, but it's just an example of someone who -could- start, with some question marks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

Well sure, no one is going to cut their opening day starter... But there will be some cap casualties and roster crunch guys that pop up. It happens every year, so I'm just crossing my fingers that maybe one of those is a center with some experience or potential.

I'm not sure I really want him, but A.Q. Shipley in Arizona for example... He's 33 and he busted his ACL before last season. Rookie Mason Cole played well and cemented himself as the starter... They also drafted another center in the draft this year.

So now Ship will be heading into camp looking to fight for a backup role.

He's only making I think 2 million, so he will probably stick with them, but it's just an example of someone who -could- start, with some question marks. 

You are not allowed to use logic here this week! ??

Next time say... OMG FIRE MAC HE SUCKS WE HAVE NO CENTERSSSSSS!!!!

Edited by ECURB
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Mangold did.

Bradbury (in this draft class) will.

Of course rookie Centers can start right away.

On topic, yes, I expect Harrison to be our Center.  The odds of a legit starter-level Center being cut loose in camp is somewhat low.

Well they were first rounders.  

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember the good old days when we spent this time of year whining about not having a franchise QB, great RB, up and coming TE, elite ILB, great interior defense and a stud safety.

I think whining from jet fans has just become a thing now. Im excited for this year to start

9 hours ago, Vader said:

we’ve had two HOF caliber centers in Mawae and Mangold. We are spoiled. You don’t ned HOF caliber centers. 

Good teams win with regular centers. Harrison is regular. He’s a center. Get ball to QB. That is all.

Thank you. 

Both wes johnson and spencer long utterly failed to do what you think is the prime requisite for a center.  The jets response to this crisis is to just go with the guy that actually could snap for a few games.

This is the franchise QB the team has been waiting for for 20 years we are talking about and we are more worried about 6th round corners and high price ilbs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, ECURB said:

You are not allowed to use logic here this week! ??

Next time say... OMG FIRE MAC HE SUCKS WE HAVE NO CENTERSSSSSS!!!!

We have no centers.

Our guards look decent but we don;t know.

Our mediocre RT is coming off a bad injury and our LT is totally meh.

Add an injury or so onto of it and we are totally pooched.

All the lovely off season acquisitions we are all excited about will not mean a thing if simian is our starter due to oiline neglect.