Mac fired!

17 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Part of me is happy b/c I think the firing should have happened after last season, but the tou cannot fire your scouts vefore the draft.iming is bizarre.  And I'm not at all happy with Gase running the show.

Who in the world would want to be GM of this soap opera?  I guess we'll find out.

A lot of conjecture floating around about this, but the timing is not bad.  You cannt fire your scouting people right before the draft.  And on the Jets, the coach is the key.  Because the coach will make Sam.  Why not let him get the executives--and the players--around him that he needs. Who would know better--Macc? I would conjecture that Johnson has liked what he has seen of Gase since he came over and now wants to make him comfortable in his environment.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

It's amazing how the Johnson brothers mess up the most simple things:

The owner hires a GM

The GM hires the coach

The coach hires the staff

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Bills did it a couple of years ago.  Fired Rex at the end of 2016 season and then fired Dooug Whaley as GM after the 2017 draft.  Worked out okay for them. They made the playoffs in 2017 ending an 18 year drought. 

They made the playoffs with rex and whales roster.

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Again, good news. However, we will know how a situation where GM and HC still report to owner, but this time the HC has approival over the GM. It's a recipe for trouble. I like Gase but we just handed organization to the guy for better or worse. 

If the GM is a guy he's worked with before at 2 spots and had success with, Gase won't be running the show.  He'll defer to the GM on personnel and coach the team the GM gives him.

Gase + Eagles guy is a great end result if it happens.  It's likely a far better result than we would have gotten had we fired Macc and Bowles together in January. 

I gotta defend the timing of Johnson's decision for a minute.

From CJ's perspective, a little over a year ago Mac pulled off the perhaps the most important trade and pick in Jets history. That move alone brought him at least a year. Franchise QB.

I feel like there was a plan going into this year's draft and Macc flat out blew it (maybe intentionally) in CJ and Gase's eyes. So do you ride it out another year knowing that you're going to fire him anyway or do you fix it now? I'm ok with better late than never.

Now making Gase the interim was really the dumb move and only adds fuel to the fire. Just keep Heimerdinger as the interim and fire him later if needed. Gase hasn't proven crap in this league and should never have a GM title attached to his name, temporary our not.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I want to know what moves specifically over the past free agency and draft class got Mac fired?

The bell signing seems to be huge regarding this. I like the Mosley move. The Trumaine contract Is an albatross. I think missing out on all the edge rushers in free agency was significant as well.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

Glad somebody saved Gase from himself probably would of tried to bring Matt Birk along  to be his DC. 1 trash assistant/ friend in loggins is enough 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, I don’t like the impact this may have on draftees and signees. 

SAR I

As opposed to the impact this had on signees a year after a handful of high-priced players told Macc to piss off?

The timing looks stupid. I'll still take it over keeping him. 

• Upvote 4

Gase went 23-25 with a playoff appearance in Miami.
Macc went 24-40 here with no playoff appearances. 

So that is enough to warrant full control? Or even opinion on front office staff? Two losing seasons. Rex had a better record with Tannenbaum than Gase did. Let that sink in for a minute. I dont have an issue with Mac being fired - but the timing is terrible. Maybe we wind up with a better head coach if we do it with Bowles.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Glad you're happy but it appears Gase has been annointed overlord of all things Jets..  that doesn't sound so good to me..  coach is one thing..  supreme overlord is another..  especially when he just got done saying he doesn't want a yes man..  now looks like hes going to get one..  whole thing is kind of disgusting 

Maybe Gase will go BPA when he picks his Yes Man and then he can say he made a good decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the GM is a guy he's worked with before at 2 spots and had success with, Gase won't be running the show.  He'll defer to the GM on personnel and coach the team the GM gives him

lol, you are basing that on what exactly?

Just now, RSJ said:

So that is enough to warrant full control? Or even opinion on front office staff? Two losing seasons. Rex had a better record with Tannenbaum than Gase did. Let that sink in for a minute. I dont have an issue with Mac being fired - but the timing is terrible. Maybe we wind up with a better head coach if we do it with Bowles.

If they're hiring the Eagles guy, Gase won't have full control.  He'll be ceding control to a guy he trusts. 

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Glad you're happy but it appears Gase has been annointed overlord of all things Jets..  that doesn't sound so good to me..  coach is one thing..  supreme overlord is another..  especially when he just got done saying he doesn't want a yes man..  now looks like hes going to get one..  whole thing is kind of disgusting 

His new title is "Supreme Overlord?"

THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

A lot of conjecture floating around about this, but the timing is not bad.  You cannt fire your scouting people right before the draft.  And on the Jets, the coach is the key.  Because the coach will make Sam.  Why not let him get the executives--and the players--around him that he needs. Who would know batter--Macc? I would conjecture that Johnson has liked what he has seen of Gase since he came over and now wants to make him comfortable in his environment.

true.  the assumption was that mccagnan's job was safe when bowles was canned but in hindsight that wasn't the gase.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Too late to fire Gase and blow the whole thing up again? Might as well right? 

Then again we have owners who don’t know wtf their doing so. Jesus.

Only a matter of time before Gase fires Williams, probably in season I’m sure.

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They waited this long to fire Macc, why not wait a few more days and agree to terms with a replacement at the same time? 

Perhaps they already have?  If the new GM is in place within a week then this was a coordinated move.  If C Johnson says we're heading into a thorough search and hiring a consultant then we're all F**ked with a capital F!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

The coaches available to us in January were the exact same as they would have been had we fired Macc too.  Maybe we would have gone with McCarthy, and then given personnel control to him instead of Gase.  That's about the only difference here. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If they're hiring the Eagles guy, Gase won't have full control.  He'll be ceding control to a guy he trusts. 

harken back to the photo of mccagnan sitting in the war room by himself, probably knowing it was his last draft with the jets regardless of what he did.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The GM search thing is bullsh*t. It doesn't matter who they hire. Gase is going to be king of the Jets kingdom from now until whenever he's fired.

At least you can re-use the G and A  from the 'Fire Maccagnan' banners.  Oh wait, it's not a capital 'G'.  That sucks.

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Again, good news. However, we will know how a situation where GM and HC still report to owner, but this time the HC has approival over the GM. It's a recipe for trouble. I like Gase but we just handed organization to the guy for better or worse.

It's bizarre, no doubt. Gase is an odd pick to hand the near-total control to, but he won't be able to whine about the players the GM picked that he didn't want. Then again any complaints he has of the GM will fall on deaf ears. Crying wolf and all. 

Could also be that if/when Gase's term has run its course then his handpicked GM will go with him, and a totally-clean process begins again. Hopefully it won't be too soon.

5 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I gotta defend the timing of Johnson's decision for a minute.

From CJ's perspective, a little over a year ago Mac pulled off the perhaps the most important trade and pick in Jets history. That move alone brought him at least a year. Franchise QB.

I feel like there was a plan going into this year's draft and Macc flat out blew it (maybe intentionally) in CJ and Gase's eyes. So do you ride it out another year knowing that you're going to fire him anyway or do you fix it now? I'm ok with better late than never.

Now making Gase the interim was really the dumb move and only adds fuel to the fire. Just keep Heimerdinger as the interim and fire him later if needed. Gase hasn't proven crap in this league and should never have a GM title attached to his name, temporary our not.

there is no one there to do it.  Heimerdinger is gone too.  This is going to be real temporary