Leonard Williams traded to the Giants

extmenace

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you want to spank the monkey over a 3rd round pick for a #6 pick player, be my guest.  It's amazing watching you people try and shine sh*t and call it gold.

Let me put this into perspective for you:  We just traded Leo, a #6 pick and "best player in the draft" i.e. another failed Jets DLineman.....for the equivalent of an ArDarius Stewart and a Chad Hanson to be named later.

Better than nothing, not nearly as good as having picked a guy who didn't suck in the first place.  Sure, be glad we got something, but gloating over this is like gloating at making a tackle when down 42-3.  

Agreed, It's not the personnel, it's Adam Gase, but JD wants to throw new meat into the Gase grinder - we'll have to see where this goes but Joe should also fire the OL coach, if he really wants save this season.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why did you come here to lecture fans?  To bitch about a trade.  

Another post whining about fans acting like fans.  

But hey, PAC agrees with this shlt

Those fans pro trade here can't be lectured to , there's no hope for them to even listen.  Changing player  personnel is not going to be the answer here.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

My brief thoughts on the Leo saga:

• His first two years were solid.  Marcus Peters was clearly the DROY.  He was All Pro year 2.  
  • He has only gotten worse.  Why?  Does not appear to be the beneficiary of an S and C program.   I don't know why this does not get more air time.   Jets Strength/Medical/Training seem broken.  
  • Genius Mac drafts 2 DL last year (no OL), signs Henry Anderson and drafts Quinnen.  Even if we wanted Leo, we couldn't afford him.  He should have been traded in the off-season.
  • I don't quite understand how much cap room the Jets are using on Leo this year.  Sounds like too much.  Can we save anything on Kalil?  We should not assume there is cap space a plenty next year.  There is not.  
  • This is somewhat of a win/win situation here.  The Jets are not getting a comp pick because they will sign FAs.  The Giants may not.  So the Giants can take on Leo and get a pick when he leaves.  The trade may have created a comp pick that did not exist previously.
  • Mac is never working in the NFL again. 
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wish I could be like so many of you, where a change in GM wipes clear the stench of every previous move we've ever made, and getting literally a bag of footballs for those former #1 picks is a "really great trade" we're supposed to celebrate like we won something. 

Busts, who cares, the past means nothing.  3rd round picks for a team who hasn't landed a good 3rd rounder in decades, who cares, new GM, 3rd are good as gold now.   

It must be great to always see nothing but positive and never see the costs paid, the time invested, the losses, any of the downside of things or care about the past, only the glorious future that is sure to come.  

There was no alternative.  The deal itself is fine.  Which is what I said a few times already, but no worries.  Best we could probably get. 

Clearly, the forum has spoken, this is a great trade.  If we eliminate what Leo cost us, the time we invested in him and the losses we suffered during his time here, we got a 3rd.  That's great.  

It's a very good trade because of Leo's lack of production.  Crying about drafting him at #6 in the first place belongs in other threads.  Did you miss the plethora of those threads?  I guess you can make up for lost time in those threads right here.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wish I could be like so many of you, where a change in GM wipes clear the stench of every previous move we've ever made, and getting literally a bag of footballs for those former #1 picks is a "really great trade" we're supposed to celebrate like we won something. 

Busts, who cares, the past means nothing.  3rd round picks for a team who hasn't landed a good 3rd rounder in decades, who cares, new GM, 3rd are good as gold now.   

It must be great to always see nothing but positive and never see the costs paid, the time invested, the losses, any of the downside of things or care about the past, only the glorious future that is sure to come.  

There was no alternative.  The deal itself is fine.  Which is what I said a few times already, but no worries.  Best we could probably get. 

Clearly, the forum has spoken, this is a great trade.  If we eliminate what Leo cost us, the time we invested in him and the losses we suffered during his time here, we got a 3rd.  That's great.  

It’s good because you’re getting rid of a non productive player for potential. Of course we have no idea how that’ll turn out yet but for a new GM, it’s more capital to build your team with good players you’ll hopefully pick. 

Instead of keeping scrubs that do nothing on the team. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Pac said:

As predicted people acting like the lowest return we should take was some kind of coup lol...  had to be done tho.

Yeah, because we were going to get a 1st or 2nd for this guy.

As predicted, someone drastically overvaluing a Jet player's value on the open market.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When you get drafted top 10 and you evolve into a "decent player" that is not going to make a fanbase happy. Especially when we have selected interior DL as often as we have in recent years. 

With Quinnen around and the emergence of some other dlinemen, this trade was a no brainer. 

The bigger question is whether we will/should trade Robby. 

That may be true and in retrospect Williams  may have underachieved based on his draft position, but giving him away for a 3 and 5 - look at what the Jets have done with those picks in the past. 

It's not like he has under-performed in the fashion of a Blair Thomas or a  Gholston or a Richardson. He was a viable starting D Lineman. And only 25 years of age, to boot.

No question the Giants got the better deal.

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If they draft two players who never see the field is it still a great trade?

Yes, unless you feel Leos best is yet to come and he deserves a big second contract from us. If not, moving on and getting picks back is the correct move either way.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

My brief thoughts on the Leo saga:

• His first two years were solid.  Marcus Peters was clearly the DROY.  He was All Pro year 2.  
  • He has only gotten worse.  Why?  Does not appear to be the beneficiary of an S and C program.   I don't know why this does not get more air time.   Jets Strength/Medical/Training seem broken.  
  • Genius Mac drafts 2 DL last year (no OL), signs Henry Anderson and drafts Quinnen.  Even if we wanted Leo, we couldn't afford him.  He should have been traded in the off-season.
  • I don't quite understand how much cap room the Jets are using on Leo this year.  Sounds like too much.  Can we save anything on Kalil?  We should not assume there is cap space a plenty next year.  There is not.  
  • This is somewhat of a win/win situation here.  The Jets are not getting a comp pick because they will sign FAs.  The Giants may not.  So the Giants can take on Leo and get a pick when he leaves.  The trade may have created a comp pick that did not exist previously.
  • Mac is never working in the NFL again. 

"Jets Strength/Medical/Training seem broken" I agree and this better get fixed or else QW will end up like LW.   

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Those fans pro trade here can't be lectured to , there's no hope for them to even listen.  Changing player  personnel is not going to be the answer here.

lol what?

Last year, according to quite a few people here, 100 % of our problems were on Bowles.  Now 100 % of our problems are on Gase.  Whereas at least 60 % of our problems is player personnel.  

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

No question the Giants got the better deal.

"No question"?  Did you miss the part where literally 30 other GM's in the NFL said "no thanks" when it came to Leo?

You do realize the Giants likely could  have picked him up in free agency without giving up a pick, don't you?

• Upvote 1

a 3 & a 5 that will probably be a 4? Yea baby!

Looks like a BB type of trade- Get something, always better than nothing! Anyone that doesn't think we'd be better off with an Amari Cooper over Leo & sliding Phillips & Foly in his place are losers. 

Oline! WRs! CB, EDGE. Wish we had taken Josh Allen over QW, but I think QW turns out to be pretty special once he loses his baby fat in the Gym.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If they draft two players who never see the field is it still a great trade?

Yes, because you can't evaluate a trade based purely on what those picks turn into.  If Douglas drafts poorly, he's a poor drafter.  That doesn't make this a bad trade. 

If you trade a bad player for a 1st rounder, is that ever a bad trade for the team that got the 1st?  No way.  Draft capital is literally the most important factor in building a winner in this league.   

If Douglas sucks at drafting, we're screwed regardless of what we do.  So might as well hope he's good at it  and assume we'll get something decent out of this.  

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"No question"?  Did you miss the part where literally 30 other GM's in the NFL said "no thanks" when it came to Leo?

You do realize the Giants likely could  have picked him up in free agency without giving up a pick, don't you?

Yeah, but how else were they going to win their last 8 games and make the playoffs with Leo's presence in the middle????

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Those kids who are pro Leo can't be lectured to, there's no hope for them to even understand. Changing player personnel is going to be the answer when you draft a dud.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Some players don’t develop, don’t take the next step.  Sucks

Sure, but Leo was supposed to be as bust-proof as they come. Just kind funny/sad.

Still, this was 100% the right move, and I'm glad that Douglas had the wherewithal to set it up and pull the trigger, and I'm really glad that Gettleman was dumb enough to accept it.

Good trade. Bad situation.

/shrugs

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Hope the Giants keep losing and it is a high 3rd.  Good return for Leo.  Better than we could have gotten in a comp pick had he walked.

We still need to lose to the Giants and split with Miami this year.

We are in full blown Tank Mode.

I'm going to get the EM-50.

em_50.jpg.ab1978e62fda69d7996d11caee3c487b.jpg

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We still need to lose to the Giants and split with Miami this year.

We are in full blown Tank Mode.

I'm going to get the EM-50.

em_50.jpg.ab1978e62fda69d7996d11caee3c487b.jpg

Tanking accomplishes nothing.  I'm rooting for us to win every game and all real jet fans should too.

• Thumb Down 2